WEBPA

Default How to reattach LCD Ribbon Cable?

display attached to the main circuit
board with a ribbon cable, one end of which has come loose. My first
instinct is just to heat up the individual traces but I can't tell if
it was attached with solder or something else. Also I am nervous about
melting the plastic backing or the ribbon cable.

Does aanyone know how these things are normally attached and/or how to
repair them?

Thanks.

--
Nelson

"...one end of which..." So: Which END?

The end normally connected to the LCD is connected with a "zebra" connector
which relies on pressure only. The end normally connected to the PCB uses some
other kind of connector, usually with a "latch" of some sort to secure the FPCB
to the connector.

It is a pretty good bet that soldering to the glass substrate in the LCD will
not advance your cause.
webpa

Jerry G.

There are a number of methods used. There is the one with the rubber type
of micro contact strip that works with pressure.

There is the type where there is a ribbon cable, that is attached, by an
adhesive. The process for this one uses a special adhesive that is attached
with a heat die. If this type separates, a new ribbon is required, and the
proper heat die is also required to heat it back. A soldering iron is not
the way to go.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Nelson" wrote in message
ws.net...
I have a Pedometer with a LCD display attached to the main circuit
board with a ribbon cable, one end of which has come loose. My first
instinct is just to heat up the individual traces but I can't tell if
it was attached with solder or something else. Also I am nervous about
melting the plastic backing or the ribbon cable.

Does aanyone know how these things are normally attached and/or how to
repair them?

Thanks.

--
Nelson

Jerry G.

"Nelson" wrote in message
ws.net...
I have a Pedometer with a LCD display attached to the main circuit
board with a ribbon cable, one end of which has come loose. My first
instinct is just to heat up the individual traces but I can't tell if
it was attached with solder or something else. Also I am nervous about
melting the plastic backing or the ribbon cable.

Does aanyone know how these things are normally attached and/or how to
repair them?

Thanks.

--
Nelson

Chasing cable for wall mounted plasma Marcos Scriven UK diy 19 July 29th 04 10:46 PM
Need Cable TV expert - I have questions exray Electronics Repair 4 March 28th 04 03:29 PM
Cable - pricing up NorwichLad UK diy 3 July 25th 03 01:59 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 01:43 AM