Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Brian Molnar

Default Organ Power Supply Problems

I recently bought an old Lowrey TLO organ from the 1960s. When I got it home
and fired up, it worked fine and sounded decent, but then when I turned on
the Main Chorus Reverb it quickly died. So the first place i checked was
the fuse to the power supply / amp unit and sure enough it blew, so i
replaced it with another fuse of the same ratings, the same make / model
even. I turned it on and it came up for about a half a second then died
again. I checked and it blew that fuse too. This was even with that Reverb
switch turned off.

At this point i figured that something in the switch was messing it up, so i
took off the plate around it and examined it. Thw way the switches work is
that there are are these plastic rockers that have a spring connected to
them and on each side of the spring are two conductors (SPDT). So the
rocker moves the spring between contacting one condcutor and the other, and
apparently the spring had come out and was laying across both conductors,
obviously the problem that caused it to die in the first place. So I
managed to reposition the spring back in the rocker the way it should be
and gave it a few test rocks, without the electricity on, and it looked
like it was doing it's job alright. So I plugged the organ back in and
turned it back on with yet another fuse in, but it did the same thing, came
up for a half second (this is indicated by the light on the power switch)
and died.

I'm wondering if the spring coming out and shorting a path between the two
conductors may have done damage to some components of the power supply
before the fuse had time to kill it. I was wondering anyone could venture a
guess at to what the problem could be. I'm open to any suggestions. Also, I
may be taking a shot in the dark with this one, but I was wondering if
anyone knew where i could possibly get another power supply for this organ.
It's a Lowrey TLO from, I think, 1968. Any help would greatly be
appreciated.

Brian Molnar