Dave

Default ~28" RCA TV - no picture, sound works

Hi All,

I've got a ~28" RCA "Entertainment Series" TV. It's a little over 2 years
old (just out of warranty, of course), and the picture is totally gone.
Sound is working fine.

A couple days ago, I noticed when I turned it on, I heard what I assume is
some type of relay click (per normal), then a couple seconds later, it
clicked off again, and the tube never lit. I tried it 2x more times, and
the 2nd time it worked. I chalked it up to a quirk, but it left a bad
feeling in my stomach. Tonight I went to turn it on, I heard the click,
then it "clicked off" again. No picture it all, and picture never comes up.
Ive tried leaving it unplugged for a couple hours, wondering if there was
some time-delay reset, but no such luck.

Anyone have some ideas on what might be wrong, and if there's an easy fix?
I'm hesitant to take it to a shop, but I should possibly do that. I'd rather
just pop out the right fuse and be back in business.

TIA,

Dave

Dave

Whoops - I knew I forgot something:
Model: F27318
Chasis: CTC203AA5

Thanks again,

Dave

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Art

Remove L14401 in the base circuit of the horiz output. Clean all glue off
leads and solder pads, reinsert the coil and resolder it to the pads. Also
check soldering aroung LOPT.

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Dave

Thank you very much - I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I'm a bit new to the TV game (my background is in computing and some small
electronics), could you possibly give me some pointers on locating these
items?

Thanks again,

Dave

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Isildur's Bane

I strongly urge you not to work on your set then. I've taken a
professional course(1 year) and extra electronics (also another year),
and I have had plenty of minor shocks.

Don't let your first shock be the last....

Isildur's Bane

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Dave

Thanks, I appreciate the concern.

I've left the tv unplugged since this morning for that very reason. Is it
not wise to assume that ~12 hours will drain pretty much everything in a
standard tv?

Dave

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

James Sweet

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Probably just a bad solder joint, unless you can solder reasonably well
don't even bother opening the thing up.

James Sweet

"Dave" wrote in message
Thanks, I appreciate the concern.

I've left the tv unplugged since this morning for that very reason. Is it
not wise to assume that ~12 hours will drain pretty much everything in a
standard tv?

Dave

Don't assume anything, yes it will all likely be discharged, but it's still
best to treat everything as if it was live, don't be paranoid but don't be
careless either.

Dave

I can solder reasonably well, that part doesn't bother me.

Would you go to the extent of using insulated tools? I haven't bothered to
crack the case yet, but I assume I'm going to need a little direction on
finding the parts I'll be working with .. or is it really worth going
through *everything* checking solder connecetions?

Dave

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Jason D.

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 00:00:39 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate the concern.

I've left the tv unplugged since this morning for that very reason. Is it
not wise to assume that ~12 hours will drain pretty much everything in a
standard tv?

Dave

Dave,

Don't remove the black suction cup with hot pink wire on the CRT
itself.

The L14401 is between base pin of horizontal (Q14401) transistor and
the horizontal driver transformer (grey or black).

The guys forgot to tell you to remove glue, they mean completely after
removing the coil. This means stripping glue from the coil with
finger nails and unclog one hole where coil lead goes through with
piece of wire.

To make things go easier, get wires out of plastic bow-tie holders,
unplug the speaker wires also unplug input wires on the upright board.
Remember how wires are put in this way and reinstall all wires in
original places after the repair. Still need to unplug the two
(vertical and horizontal plugs) plugs on the CRT yoke and gently get
the wires out of CRT yoke wire holders.

These white connectors is latched, Gently lift the "hoop" and work
plug out of it's socket.

I like these CTC203, good so far.

Cheers,

Wizard

Dave

Thanks, that was very helpful. I've got everything apart, and identified
the L14401. I seem to have forgotten my soldering iron at work, though, so
I'll have to finish up tomorrow.

However, all of the solder connections on the panel seem to be in good
shape. I don't see any problems near any of the transformers either -
everything looks solid. Hopefilly cleaning that glue off and resoldering
L14401 will take care of it.

Dave

"Jason D." wrote in message
[...]

RonKZ650

Remove L14401 in the base circuit of the horiz output. Clean all glue off
leads and solder pads, reinsert the coil and resolder it to the pads. Also
check soldering aroung LOPT.

Yes, this should fix it. Very common on these "28 inchers" ;-)
Ron
Dave

Ive got the coil off right now -- it's just the "hot glue" that they used to
fix it down that needs to be removed/cleaned? It's not actually that pink
glue they use to hold the coil in, right?

Also, silly question, how do you identify the LOPT? I see multiple
transformers, the one closest to the coil is the horiz, I assume .. not sure
which the lopt is though..

Thanks agian,

Dave

"RonKZ650" wrote in message
Remove L14401 in the base circuit of the horiz output. Clean all glue off
leads and solder pads, reinsert the coil and resolder it to the pads.

Also
check soldering aroung LOPT.

Yes, this should fix it. Very common on these "28 inchers" ;-)
Ron

Dave

Woohoo! Got it working, thanks for all the help guys. I really do
appreciate the time you took.

These things are great to work on, you'd swear they were designed just for
repairing. (kinda scary that way But it was so dead simple that I
couldn't believe it when it worked.

I went through and cleaned up several other kind of messy solders while I
had it open, not sure exactly what fixed it, but I'd guess it was the
L14401.

Thanks again,

Dave

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Jason D.

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 01:56:25 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

Ive got the coil off right now -- it's just the "hot glue" that they used to
fix it down that needs to be removed/cleaned? It's not actually that pink
glue they use to hold the coil in, right?

Also, silly question, how do you identify the LOPT? I see multiple
transformers, the one closest to the coil is the horiz, I assume .. not sure
which the lopt is though..

Line output transformer, "old timer name", the RCA name for it is
IHVT (intergrated high voltage transformer) but we call those as
FLYBACK transformer. This is round thing with ferrite core on the
outside with one leg going into it with screen & focus (some models
don't have the adjustments on it like in projectors) with three wires
from it (high voltage to the suction cup on the tube), two goes to the
CRT board.

Reason it is called flyback transformer in part of horizontal scan,
right after horizontal transistor turnoff, transformer's magnetic
field collapses generating back emf voltage that cause beam (beam spot
at right side) to fly back to left side. During flyback also
generates back-emf charges up all caps and diode, coils network
modulates and smoothes the motion of beam from left to appox mid way
as this network discharges & oscillates. This is the point where
horizontal transistor turns on just before that. It's very heavy in
energy and any problems anywhere, the horizontal transistor blows.
This is why this glue is one of many possible horizontal problems but
this CTC203 is common with this glue.

Pink glue? This would be the two small red hard lumps that secures
coil winding to the ferrite rod, that is not the problem. The hot
glue is pale off white (almost feels like wax) thing that held coil to
the board. Clean those hot glue *completely* and unplug one tiny hole
for one of wires for that coil.

Cheers,

Wizard

Thanks agian,