DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Macrovision hack? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/43171-macrovision-hack.html)

Martin D. Bartsch March 8th 04 10:51 PM

Macrovision hack?

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 18:01:23 -0800, "Mike Kohary" wrote:

Macrovision is "copy encryption" (or copy protection, as I'd put it). It
doesn't matter what the copy protection scheme is; the DMCA applies equally
to all.

At first, Macrovision is a violation of technical TV-standards,
putting impulses there where they should not be to hassle the
automatic gain control of VHS-recorders. With legal availible
timebase-correctors you can regenerate the signal to the NTSC- or
PAL-standard. (And I am not sure about the legality to write NTSC on a
DVD or VHS-Tape when the output is not real NTSC but has this
Macrovision in it)

Maybe they should sell PAL-DVDs in the US. I expect that nearly nobody
owns PAL-VHS so they are very well copy protected

--
Martin D. Bartsch
ARD Paris

Martin D. Bartsch March 8th 04 10:51 PM

Macrovision hack?

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 06:54:57 -0800, "Richard C." post-age
@spamcop.net wrote:

More wonderful words from dickmatter.

My advantage as a non-english speaker is that I haven't learned this
words at school.

--
Martin D. Bartsch
ARD Paris

HellRazor March 9th 04 01:30 AM

Macrovision hack?

"Mike Kohary" wrote in message
"Martin D. Bartsch" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 23:08:23 -0800, DarkMatter
wrote:

It opens the door to the thieves, regardless of how
honorable or noble your intentions are.

A society who will close every possible backdoor for every possible
illegal action will be worse than everything Hitler or Stalin could
imagine.

Liberty is also the liberty to commit a crime (and to be punished
later)

Well said. As an American, I find it very sad that so many other fellow
Americans are so willing, even eager and aggressive, to give up their
rights. How shameful.

Mike

Mike, you have some of the best, most well presented posts on this topic
I've seen. Kudos to you, bud. You're right on target with everything
you've said.

HellRazor March 9th 04 01:35 AM

Macrovision hack?

"Justin" wrote in message
Martin D Bartsch wrote on [Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:09:01 +0100]:
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:37:44 GMT, Justin wrote:

Yes, illegal to copy a DVD. It is illegal to bypass a copy protection
mechanism. Therefore, by copying it you are bypassing it.

No. if you can bypass it it is not a copy protection mechanism.

So, if you have a lock on your door that you can open with a pair of
bolt cutters, it's not a lock?

It's more like going around the door.

HellRazor March 9th 04 01:48 AM

Macrovision hack?

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 00:44:49 GMT, "HellRazor" Gave
us:

You have no communication skills and are incapable of civil interaction

with
other people. Every post you make proves my point. But by all means,
continue your sad, pathetic little antisocial outbursts.

I could easily dig up your first retarded post to me and prove that
it is you that has a problem.

By all means, knock yourself out, Usenet boy! (Just goes to show that even
a monkey can learn to use Google!)

From that post on, you get not a
****ing thing from me, dip****.

LOL! Like you would have anything I'd want!

The only reason I treat you like a
piece of **** is because you ARE a piece of ****, boy.

You seem to treat everyone in the same hateful, antisocial manner,
DorkMatter. That's because you're a very sad confused little man.

There is NO communicating with your fecal brained ass.

That's because communication is a two-way process between two intelligent
people who are capable of being civil. You're simply not intelligent and
you're incapable of being civil. You're antisocial with deep rooted anger
management problems, probably because you are frustrated in your low paying
janitorial career and you're tired of living in the trailer park with your
mom.

If there were, your retarded ass would have shaped up over half a
year ago.

More like "shape down", I wouldn't lower myself to your standards!

Idiots like you are easy to spot, a mile away.

A lot of people sure seem to have spotted you, anger boy.

So not only are you in the barrel, but you get dowsed in **** at
every turn, because that's all you got comin' jackoff.

Whatever you say, Mr. Wood!

James Sweet March 9th 04 07:39 PM

Macrovision hack?

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:46:26 -0600, gothika
Gave us:

They have no rights to mandate how you view it.

You are incorrect. If you utilize hardware that defeats their
protection schemas, you are violating their rights, and federal laws.

So what? Most people don't give a rat's ass, what are you gonna do about it?

Schism March 9th 04 10:15 PM

Macrovision hack?

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:52:06 -0600, "Schism"
Gave us:

I do laugh at that.. you obviously have no idea how the legal system
works... Even if they did, so what, who gives a **** if some 16 year old
copies some of his friends DVDs? They'd need proof and a warrant to even
enter the house, you can't get that on someones word alone. Maybe if you

got
busted for some other crime they might possibly try to charge you with
something, but even that is doubtful.

Your behavior in here, and through your ISP may just give them those
rights.

Watch out, dip****. You ARE vulnerable. For you... that's a good
thing.

I'll make sure to be shaking in my boots the next time I copy rented DVDs.

mike March 10th 04 12:43 AM

Macrovision hack?

So, if you have a lock on your door that you can open with a pair of
bolt cutters, it's not a lock?

if i own the door, and i want it open, im going to open it.

It's more like going around the door.

Gary March 10th 04 02:02 AM

Macrovision hack?

"HellRazor" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s03...

There is NO communicating with your fecal brained a**.

That's because communication is a two-way process between two intelligent
people who are capable of being civil. You're simply not intelligent and
you're incapable of being civil. You're antisocial with deep rooted anger
management problems, probably because you are frustrated in your low

paying
janitorial career and you're tired of living in the trailer park with your
mom.

Well said! I couldn't have said it better myself.
It's almost impossible to carry on a conversation with someone who has a
mouth that AJAX couldn't clean up. Why in the world would anyone want to
even "try" to carry on a meaningful dialog with someone who is engrossed
with foul language. Then try to look all holy and tell you that your
committing a sin by trying to copy something that is copy-protected. Copy
it all day long, they put protection on it and all you will be doing in
ruining blank DVD's. That's why they protected it.

For all intents and purposes, this no longer has ANYTHING to do with
electronics repair so let's quit wasting bandwidth and move it out of the
repair forum. Lastly, I say that when little DorkMatter finishes up the
eighth grade and learns a few respectable words, someone can converse with
him. Until then, let him work on that ulcer he's developing.

Gary

Dbowey March 10th 04 06:09 AM

Macrovision hack?

Mike posted:
The DMCA makes it illegal to thwart the copy protection, yet you *DO* have
the right to make a copy for your own personal use. It's a legal paradox
which must be resolved. Which part of this isn't clear to you?
--
What law gives me the right to make a copy of a purchased DVD movie?

I am aware that many companies authorize buyers to make a copy of a *program*
disc they have purchased, but a purchased DVD is not the same.

Don