DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Macrovision hack? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/43171-macrovision-hack.html)

HellRazor March 8th 04 12:41 AM

Macrovision hack?

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 03:57:48 GMT, "HellRazor" Gave
us:

"DarkMatter" wrote in

message
.. .
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:49:34 -0600, gothika
Gave us:

Well said. Arguing about word play is a waste.
Better to discuss whether we should allow any government to have the
power to strip away our basic rights.

You're a retarded twit.

Stop trolling.

You're a retarded twit.

And you're a troll.

HellRazor March 8th 04 12:44 AM

Macrovision hack?

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 03:58:22 GMT, "HellRazor" Gave
us:

"DarkMatter" wrote in

message
.. .
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 01:23:58 GMT, "HellRazor" Gave
us:

Explaining himself would require communication skills and civil

interaction
with fellow human beings.

Like that which your lame ass is sooo good at? Yeah... right. ****
off, retard boy.

I rest my case.

You never had a case, dip****.

You have no communication skills and are incapable of civil interaction with
other people. Every post you make proves my point. But by all means,
continue your sad, pathetic little antisocial outbursts.

michael turner March 8th 04 01:31 AM

Macrovision hack?

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 14:26:22 -0400, Chris Phillipo wrote:

In article ,
says...
Feck wrote in message news:[email protected]
You need a black box usually called an "image stabiliser". My local
electronics store sell them for about $50cad, check the net for mail order
sources.
It goes between the DVD and VCR. Since your unit is an all-in-one, you
might have to copy to a standalone VCR.

(A Better Chungking_Cash) wrote in
om:

I have a Toshiba SD-V290 DVD/VCR Combo. Does anyone have a Macrovision
hack for this player? I would like to make VHS back-up's of existing
and future purchases. ANY help would be much appreciated. Thank-you in
advance.

Well seeing as the DMCA makes universal remote controls, garage door
openers and pretty much anything that allows equipment to be used for
anything it wasn't intended for (like remote control software for Palm
Pilots) illegal, this could get difficult.

Next they will be making "copy-proof" holographic DVD's that *cannot*
be played in any manufactured player if the hologram is missing. From
what I understand, the next upgrade to the DVD standard will also take
out the facility to play DVD-R and DVD-RW, only original burned disks.

-A

Any such attempt will only serve to drive the sale of Chinese made
players through the roof,

Virtually *all* DVD players are Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese made.

as if they weren't killing american
manufacturers already.

What American manufacturers ? RCA, Magnavox? most of their stuff is made
in the far-east these days.

I bet it's very difficult to find a DVD player that is actually
made in the USA.

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)

michael turner March 8th 04 08:43 AM

Macrovision hack?

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 01:31:38 +0000, michael turner wrote:

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 14:26:22 -0400, Chris Phillipo wrote:

Any such attempt will only serve to drive the sale of Chinese made
players through the roof,

Virtually *all* DVD players are Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese made.

as if they weren't killing american
manufacturers already.

What American manufacturers ? RCA, Magnavox? most of their stuff is made
in the far-east these days.

Of course the American consumer electronics industry was
wiped-out/taken-over years ago.

RCA is a brand of Thomson (French), Magnavox is a brand of Philips
(Dutch), plus a load of other *household* American brand-names have
disappeared, or are now foreign owned. It's just the same with well known
British brand-names.

Rick March 8th 04 10:56 AM

Macrovision hack?

"DarkMatter" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 18:01:23 -0800, "Mike Kohary" Gave
us:

"Justin" wrote in message
Mike Kohary wrote on [Sun, 7 Mar 2004 17:18:48 -0800]:

There is nothing illegal about taping a DVD for your own private use.

What
is technically illegal, under the DMCA, is breaking the Macrovision
protection in order to make that copy. Does that seem logical to you,

that
making the copy is legal, but circumventing the copy protection is not?

Are you sure it's just the Macrovision, and not the copy encryption as
well?

Macrovision is "copy encryption" (or copy protection, as I'd put it). It
doesn't matter what the copy protection scheme is; the DMCA applies equally
to all.

Damn! The twit got one right!

The DMCA is going down in flames. Court cases dealing with
the exact same issues (circumvention of copy protection and
encryption) have come up before, always with the same eventual
results:

http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/US_v_Elco...17_eff_pr.html

http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/DVDCCA_c...227_eff_pr.php

etc.

Also, last year two separate bills were introduced in Congress
to protect consumer fair use rights for digital content:

http://www.protectfairuse.org/consum..._plotline.html

In just five short years the guts of the DMCA have already
proven to be ill-conceived, ridiculously broad, and in the end,
unconstitutional.

DarkMatter, pay attention and learn something.

Rick

Axel VK March 8th 04 11:12 AM

Macrovision hack?

"Justin" wrote in message
Cernovog wrote on [Sat, 6 Mar 2004 12:29:35 -0500]:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 7:08:15 -0500, DarkMatter wrote
(in message ):

As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him

to do
any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

That is so untrue.

Care to explain yourself? Just saying something doesn't make it true.

He doesn't need to. It is illegal to copy a DVD in the US, for any
reason whatsoever.

Who gives a ****?

Axel VK March 8th 04 11:13 AM

Macrovision hack?

"Justin" wrote in message
Mike Kohary wrote on [Sun, 7 Mar 2004 18:00:27 -0800]:
"Justin" wrote in message
Mike Kohary wrote on [Sun, 7 Mar 2004 17:29:56 -0800]:
"Justin" wrote in message

He doesn't need to. It is illegal to copy a DVD in the US, for any
reason whatsoever.

Not true.

If it's illegal to defeat the copy protection then it's illegal to

copy.
Right?

Nope. It's only illegal to circumvent the copy protection, not to make

the
copy. The law *does* make that specific distinction - it's a fact not

up
for debate, so don't try. I know that it doesn't make any sense in the

real
world, but that's how the law currently reads. Screwed up, isn't it?

Yes, it is a screwy situation. It just adds to the existing laws that
are out there to screw you up. It's illegal to use a Radar Detector for
example, but you can own one.

Nope. Not where I live. They are perfectly legal here.

Richard C. March 8th 04 02:54 PM

Macrovision hack?

"DarkMatter" wrote in
message ...

: retarded post
: ****ing
: dip****.
: piece of ****
: you ARE a piece of ****, boy.
:
: your fecal brained ass.
:
: your retarded ass
: Idiots like you
:
: you get dowsed in ****
: jackoff.

=========================
More wonderful words from dickmatter.

Martin D. Bartsch March 8th 04 04:09 PM

Macrovision hack?

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:37:44 GMT, Justin wrote:

Yes, illegal to copy a DVD. It is illegal to bypass a copy protection
mechanism. Therefore, by copying it you are bypassing it.

No. if you can bypass it it is not a copy protection mechanism.

--
Martin D. Bartsch
ARD Paris

Martin D. Bartsch March 8th 04 04:09 PM

Macrovision hack?

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 03:16:55 GMT, Justin wrote:

The effectiveness of the copy protection method
doesn't matter.

So I print on the cover: You can not copy this disk! and I have a copy
protection?

--
Martin D. Bartsch
ARD Paris