DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Macrovision hack? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/43171-macrovision-hack.html)

HellRazor March 7th 04 01:19 AM

Macrovision hack?

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:48:25 GMT, Justin Gave
us:

DarkMatter wrote on [Sat, 06 Mar 2004 11:36:49 -0800]:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 14:26:22 -0400, Chris Phillipo
Gave us:

Any such attempt will only serve to drive the sale of Chinese made
players through the roof, as if they weren't killing american
manufacturers already.

Funny. I see absolutely ZERO chinese players on American store
shelves. Ever wonder why?

Sure you do.

Yes. Taiwan. Through legal manufacturer channels where the
manufacturer is industry compliant. One does not see the
non-complaint players he refers to on our shelves.

You only don't see them because you spend all your free time on Usenet,
being unable to squeeze your fat ass through your front door.

Cyberhome, Daewood, and Malata players are sold in stores like Circuit City
and Best Buy all over the country, you stupid ****. Most of these players
are region free and macrovision free.

HellRazor March 7th 04 01:21 AM

Macrovision hack?

"luminos" wrote in message
Ok genius.....what about the need of education to use segments of DVD for
analysis and presentation in various courses? How are they going to do
this? How are researchers going to be able to deal with compilations of
segments of DVD materials that they own?

Don't try to use logic on him, it just confuses him and makes him angry.

HellRazor March 7th 04 01:23 AM

Macrovision hack?

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 12:29:35 -0500, Cernovog Gave
us:

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 7:08:15 -0500, DarkMatter wrote
(in message ):

As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him

to do
any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

That is so untrue.

Care to explain yourself? Just saying something doesn't make it true.

Just saying that he can doesn't make it true either, dip****.

Explaining himself would require communication skills and civil interaction
with fellow human beings.

Rick March 7th 04 01:58 AM

Macrovision hack?

"DarkMatter" wrote in message ...
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 15:13:47 -0800, "Rick" Gave us:

Make enough laws and eventually everyone becomes a
criminal. It really is over in the U.S., we've become a
nation of brainwashed, fearful, pussy whipped corporate
prostitutes who wouldn't know freedom if it bit us on
the ass.

Sorry, you total retard, but stealing is NOT a freedom.

Making a backup of one's own property is not stealing,
regardless of what the entertainment industry wants you
to believe.

Pay attention to what happens in the appeals process for
this current court case.

Rick

luminos March 7th 04 02:33 AM

Macrovision hack?

I read your other lengthy response, that was the ultimate in dumb. Just as
with music, the instructor needs to present excerpts adjacent and
immediately next to each other to make the point. Having a bunch of discs
(or a boatload of them like a boatload of books) makes no sense at all.

"DarkMatter" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:07:57 GMT, "luminos" Gave us:

Ok genius.....what about the need of education to use segments of DVD for
analysis and presentation in various courses? How are they going to do
this? How are researchers going to be able to deal with compilations of
segments of DVD materials that they own?

Can you really be so dumb?

Chaos Master March 7th 04 02:36 AM

Macrovision hack?

Java Jive posted in sci.electronics.repair , in article
, at Sat, 6 Mar 2004 14:39:06 -
0000:

Only applies in US ... This is not the first time I've seen US posters
posting as though their laws applied across the entire world. When posting
please bear in mind that copyright laws vary from country to country.

I suspect that making backups of privately owned media for personal,
non-commercial use is legal in most countries.

Here in Brazil it is allowed to copy and distribute recordings, __as long as it
is done for free__.

--
Chaos Master® - Porto Alegre, Brazil!
IRC #XLinuxNews or #POA of irc.brasnet.org , nick Wizard_of_Yendor .

Chaos Master March 7th 04 02:40 AM

Macrovision hack?

gothika posted in sci.electronics.repair , in article
, at Sat, 06 Mar 2004 00:17:26 -
0600:

also have you forgotten about s-vhs? while it's not as good as the
original dvd it would still be perfectly fine for viewing on standard
tv sets.

Here in Brazil it is similar.
You can remove all protection from a DVD, but YOU CAN'T SELL the resulting data.

This is somewhat like our laws about .MP3 audio: you can download it, as long as
it's for personal use or transmission over the Internet _AS LONG AS_ you don't
"sell" music. If you burn a CD with downloaded music to play on your CD player
it's legal. But if you sell the CD it is illegal.

gothika March 7th 04 02:46 AM

Macrovision hack?

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 13:46:46 -0800, DarkMatter
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:17:06 GMT, Justin Gave
us:

DarkMatter wrote on [Sat, 06 Mar 2004 12:14:27 -0800]:
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:48:25 GMT, Justin Gave
us:

DarkMatter wrote on [Sat, 06 Mar 2004 11:36:49 -0800]:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 14:26:22 -0400, Chris Phillipo
Gave us:

Any such attempt will only serve to drive the sale of Chinese made
players through the roof, as if they weren't killing american
manufacturers already.

Funny. I see absolutely ZERO chinese players on American store
shelves. Ever wonder why?

Sure you do.

Yes. Taiwan. Through legal manufacturer channels where the
manufacturer is industry compliant. One does not see the
non-complaint players he refers to on our shelves.

The web doesn't count.

The Cyberhome players can be hacked, hell, even some of the newer
Toshibas can be, with very simple remote keypresses.

That makes them illicit to market here, if it can be accessed by the
consumer. The fact that they ARE marketed here doesn't make them any
less sub-conformal to the standard. Are any of those marketers based
here? I doubt it.

I have a Daewoo dvd player that is region free. I've played dvd's from
2 other zones and they played just fine.
I notice you stated illicit not illegal. There is a legal distinction.
I bought mine over the net from a dealer in NY but have since seenthe
same player selling in local stores.
As for the governement outlawing what I do with whatever I buy for my
own personal use. They forget that They serve the people not the other
way around.
We have this thing called the constitution and no laws may be made
that will abridge or change it. Especially in regards to the laws
protecting unalienable rights. Those include freedom of expression,
speech and privacy.
What I do with my own property(that includes any recorded media I
purchase.) in the privacy of my own home for my own use.
By the owner of the intellectual/artisitic property(this being THE
material on the commercial dvd.) putting said property in the retail
sales market they come under he comes under guide lines and rules as
set forth by fair trade laws. i.e. they relenquish private view rights
to whomever purchases the material for their own personal viewing.
They have no rights to mandate how you view it.
The clearest example of this would be the LP's of past that all would
purchase and make cassette copies of for their own use.
ASCAP and the RIAA could'nt get the Supreme court to ban home
recording and the film and video industry won't have any better luck
getting the cititzenry to comply now.
No matter how many politicians they bribe or unlawfull regulations
they try to impose.
If I choose to make a copy of any DVD I purchase to vhs or whatever
for my own personal viewing it's no one's business but mine.
If I choose to purchase a descrambler to remove any signal that
degrades image quality that's my business as well. I'm buying the
images not the anti-theft crap they trash it with.
The government can't under constututional law mandate what we will or
won't purchase or own inregards to restrictive players.

gothika March 7th 04 02:49 AM

Macrovision hack?

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:05:09 GMT, "luminos" wrote:

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message
On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2004 15:48:21 -0500) it happened Dick Sidbury
wrote in
:

Justin wrote:
Colon Terminus wrote on [Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:01:16 GMT]:

No, NOT illegal to copy a DVD.
Illegal to circumvent the encryption on a DVD.

Yes, illegal to copy a DVD. It is illegal to bypass a copy protection
mechanism. Therefore, by copying it you are bypassing it.

Not it's not illegal to bypass a copy protection mechanism. It's
illegal to defeat it.

Interesting, I thought of that some time ago.

It is a ludicrous semantic game you are playing. Bypass and defeat are the
same.

Well said. Arguing about word play is a waste.
Better to discuss whether we should allow any government to have the
power to strip away our basic rights.

gothika March 7th 04 02:50 AM

Macrovision hack?

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 15:13:47 -0800, "Rick" wrote:

"Justin" wrote in message ...
Cernovog wrote on [Sat, 6 Mar 2004 12:33:06 -0500]:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 2:54:17 -0500, luminos wrote
(in message ):

This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

That's laughable. How do they expect this to be enforced? We don't have
enough to cops to handle the real crimes. I think the FBI has better things
to do than go house to house looking for copies of movies.

Yes, but just because something doesn't always get enforced it doesn't
mean it's legal.

Make enough laws and eventually everyone becomes a
criminal. It really is over in the U.S., we've become a
nation of brainwashed, fearful, pussy whipped corporate
prostitutes who wouldn't know freedom if it bit us on
the ass.

Rick

Thank you Rick. At last someone here with enough stones to speak up.