DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Macrovision hack? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/43171-macrovision-hack.html)

Java Jive March 6th 04 02:39 PM

Macrovision hack?

Only applies in US ... This is not the first time I've seen US posters
posting as though their laws applied across the entire world. When posting
please bear in mind that copyright laws vary from country to country.

I suspect that making backups of privately owned media for personal,
non-commercial use is legal in most countries.

"luminos" wrote in message

This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

Deke March 6th 04 03:29 PM

Macrovision hack?

"A Better Chungking_Cash" wrote in message
om...
I have a Toshiba SD-V290 DVD/VCR Combo. Does anyone have a Macrovision
hack for this player? I would like to make VHS back-up's of existing
and future purchases. ANY help would be much appreciated. Thank-you in
advance.

Do a google for macrovision hack, which should bring up several sites.
BTW, I make VHS copies of my kids movies, give them the tape, and put the
DVD away. After buying two DVD "The Lion King" movies, I learned my lesson.
And the quality on a 25" TV in the kids room is fine. I'd rather replace a
$2.00 tape, than buy another $20.00 replacement DVD.

Deke

Mike Davis March 6th 04 03:53 PM

Macrovision hack?

"Stan" wrote in message
"Neil" wrote:

}When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?.

Defeating Macrovision is not illegal if you have a valid purpose, such
as archiving. Read the copyright act.

}And by the way, why the hell would you make a VHS BACK UP of a

DVD???!!!!.

Not desireable in my book, but still legal, so why hassle him about it?

Stan.

Stan,
You ask why copy to VHS, I'll answer in one word- "children." When my
kids were younger I used to make backup tapes of DVD's as they could operate
the tape deck but would surely trash a DVD. The little rugrats have grown a
bit, so now I copy the DVD's directly to blank media and let them use an
older player. This actually serves a second purpose of trying to teach them
not to trash discs and gear. It works out pretty well, and if the copy of
"Finding Nemo" gets a little hashed, no problem, there must be two or three
backup discs safely locked up in the media room ggg.
All the best, Mike

Andre March 6th 04 04:19 PM

Macrovision hack?

Feck wrote in message news:[email protected]
You need a black box usually called an "image stabiliser". My local
electronics store sell them for about $50cad, check the net for mail order
sources.
It goes between the DVD and VCR. Since your unit is an all-in-one, you
might have to copy to a standalone VCR.

(A Better Chungking_Cash) wrote in
om:

I have a Toshiba SD-V290 DVD/VCR Combo. Does anyone have a Macrovision
hack for this player? I would like to make VHS back-up's of existing
and future purchases. ANY help would be much appreciated. Thank-you in
advance.

Well seeing as the DMCA makes universal remote controls, garage door
openers and pretty much anything that allows equipment to be used for
anything it wasn't intended for (like remote control software for Palm
Pilots) illegal, this could get difficult.

Next they will be making "copy-proof" holographic DVD's that *cannot*
be played in any manufactured player if the hologram is missing. From
what I understand, the next upgrade to the DVD standard will also take
out the facility to play DVD-R and DVD-RW, only original burned disks.

-A

Cernovog March 6th 04 05:29 PM

Macrovision hack?

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 7:08:15 -0500, DarkMatter wrote
(in message ):

As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him to do
any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

That is so untrue.

Care to explain yourself? Just saying something doesn't make it true.

Cernovog March 6th 04 05:33 PM

Macrovision hack?

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 2:54:17 -0500, luminos wrote
(in message ):

This is completely wrong. Any copying of a DVD to any form is illegal via
the DMCA. The ruling came down this week.

That's laughable. How do they expect this to be enforced? We don't have
enough to cops to handle the real crimes. I think the FBI has better things
to do than go house to house looking for copies of movies.

Chris Phillipo March 6th 04 06:24 PM

Macrovision hack?

In article ,
says...
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 1:48:37 -0500, Cernovog Gave
us:

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:06:36 -0500, Neil wrote
(in message ) :

When will people learn that requests for illegal info will be ignored?

In what way is this request illegal? What law does it break?

As long as it is for personal home use, it's perfectly legal for him to do
any darn thing he wants with his DVD.

That is so untrue.

I pity you and your backward ass government taking away your freedoms.
--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.

Chris Phillipo March 6th 04 06:26 PM

Macrovision hack?

In article ,
says...
[...]

Any such attempt will only serve to drive the sale of Chinese made
players through the roof, as if they weren't killing american
manufacturers already.
--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.

Chris Phillipo March 6th 04 06:27 PM

Macrovision hack?

I wasn't pirating before but I think it's time to start just to drive up
the cost that idiots like Darkmatter have to pay when they buy a disk at
full pop because they have no self control.

--
Remove "X" from email address to reply.

Colon Terminus March 6th 04 07:01 PM

Macrovision hack?

No, NOT illegal to copy a DVD.
Illegal to circumvent the encryption on a DVD.

"luminos" wrote in message

om...