DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New find on bogus bipolar transistor! (SGSIF461) (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/43111-new-find-bogus-bipolar-transistor-sgsif461.html)

Jason D. March 3rd 04 12:47 AM

New find on bogus bipolar transistor! (SGSIF461)

Got a few of those and those ran hotter and they blew in PTK169
chassis after hour or so. They was from home-brewed kits that
supplier put together for very good price (about 10 each for kit of:
transistor, three caps (two were wrong types and total correct rebuild
requires four caps, two of them 39uF & 15uF very important), IC is not
fake through because I nut-cracked that.

So got the RCA OEM version and now SMPS's heatsink runs cooler and is
fine.

I saved both blown OEM and fakes SGSIF461 transistors and cracked
them(1). The fake was plated (white) copper plate & had white silicon
splat over the die.
OEM or true ones were unplated copper (shows shiny copper) plate and
bare die assembly cast in black package.

This cost me 2 callbacks on same unit because of this.

Cheers,

Wizard

1. Cracking them, fake transistor was very easy & die intact, I was
surprised. The OEM put up lot of fight before package finally gave way
with loud "CRACK!" and shattered the bare die.

El Meda March 3rd 04 02:38 PM

(Jason D.) wrote:

1. Cracking them, fake transistor was very easy & die intact, I was
surprised. The OEM put up lot of fight before package finally gave way
with loud "CRACK!" and shattered the bare die.

That´s because the epoxic of the package does not adhere to the white
goo that covers the silicon die. I have pictures of many open fake
transistors on this page:

http://transfal.tripod.com/
---
Ing. Remberto Gomez-Meda
http://ingemeda.tripod.com/
INGE - Ingenieria Electronica.
Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico.

El Meda March 4th 04 02:58 PM

New find on bogus bipolar transistor! (SGSIF461)

I have seen your website, babelfish only translated fixed number of
words. Would be nice to post another website in english.

It's a good idea. I'll do it in the next future.
---