DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Compaq TFT450 No Power (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/42998-compaq-tft450-no-power.html)

news.pipex.net February 25th 04 09:44 PM

Compaq TFT450 No Power

Hi,

I have a compaq TFT450 lcd monitor which won't power up. The input fuses
on the 5v and 12v inputs are fine. After the each fuse there is a 470 micro
farad capacitor. I have a multi-meter but I am not too sure on how to test
the capacitors ?

If anyone has any pointers, hints or tips on what to look for please let
me know.

Regards

Dave K.

Peter van Merkerk February 26th 04 09:30 AM

Compaq TFT450 No Power

I have a compaq TFT450 lcd monitor which won't power up. The input
fuses on the 5v and 12v inputs are fine. After the each fuse there is
a 470 micro farad capacitor. I have a multi-meter but I am not too
sure on how to test the capacitors ?

To test the capacitors you will need an ESR meter. It is very well possible
that one or more electrolytic capacitors are bad. Coincedently I repaired a
Compaq TFT screen yesterday (randomly flashing lines); while tracking down
the cause of the problem I did notice that many of the SMD caps did have a
poor ESR. In this case the problem was caused by a bad electrolytic cap
near the power input.

--
Peter van Merkerk
peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

Peter van Merkerk February 26th 04 09:37 AM

Compaq TFT450 No Power

Peter van Merkerk wrote:
I have a compaq TFT450 lcd monitor which won't power up. The input
fuses on the 5v and 12v inputs are fine. After the each fuse there is
a 470 micro farad capacitor. I have a multi-meter but I am not too
sure on how to test the capacitors ?

To test the capacitors you will need an ESR meter.

An alternative for using an ESR meter is to use a oscilloscope to watch the
signal over the capacitor when the device is powered on. If the capacitor
is good you should see no or only a very small signal.

--
Peter van Merkerk
peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

news.pipex.net February 29th 04 02:54 PM

Compaq TFT450 No Power

Hi Peter,

I think that its the two surface mount capacitors near the fuse
terminals. Is it simply the case of removing them by de-soldering the two
contact points on either side of the caps ?

Regards

Dave K.