Sofie

Default Sony CD player

Andrew:

The ribbon cables are available from Sony..... or one of their parts
distributors like Fulton Radio..... check their websites.

"Instructions on how to do it" ???? ..... very simple, remove the old
cable and install the new replacement.

If you are not certain how to proceed, instead of botching the repair and
increasing the repair cost of your nice Sony 5 disc player you might be best
advised to take it to a service shop for a proper and safe repair or at the
very least get a repair cost estimate so you can make an intelligent repair
decision with facts instead of guesses.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Andrew" wrote in message
I have an older Sony 5-disc player that no longer recognizes discs in
the carousel. The pickup is a KSS-240A. I think I've isolated the
problem to the ribbon cable connected to the KSS-240A.

Can the ribbon cable be replaced? Where can ribbon cables be
purchased? Are there instructions out there on how to do it?

..
..
..
..

Aslaner

Why would anyone bring a $200.00 machine which is more than likely a few
years old, to a repair shop to get repaired? They will charge you close to
or possibly more than $100.00 ?

You can get a cdplayer for $100.00 brand new?????????

"Andrew" wrote in message
I have an older Sony 5-disc player that no longer recognizes discs in
the carousel. The pickup is a KSS-240A. I think I've isolated the
problem to the ribbon cable connected to the KSS-240A.

Can the ribbon cable be replaced? Where can ribbon cables be
purchased? Are there instructions out there on how to do it?

.
.
.
.

Sofie

Aslaner:

To use an analogy he Why on earth would anyone own a Seiko, Pulsar, or
other expensive watch that would cost much, much more than the big variety
of cheap watches at Wal-Mart.... brand new..... many cost only $5.99 or
less. Watches are watches, right? Could it be that they are not quite
built the same with the same quality, workmanship, finish, etc.??

Just exactly where are you getting your information about CD player repair
costs at a repair shop??
My shop regularly repairs all kinds of CD players ..... roughly a dozen a
week...... the average repair cost is less than $57.... with some repairs
as little as $35 or $40 or less...... and some repairs over $60 or $70.
Obviously the repair cost really depends on exactly what needs to be fixed
and what parts are broken. On some more expensive CD players with special
features and special construction....... some models of Sony, Yamaha, Denon,
etc, the customer is more than happy to pay for some repairs that are over
well $100.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie