DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   JBL PSW-D112 loud humming noise (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/42095-jbl-psw-d112-loud-humming-noise.html)

Eugen T January 17th 04 09:58 PM

JBL PSW-D112 loud humming noise

Hi all,
Here is the story. I bought this dead sub. When I opened it, the fuse was
blown. Also, S64AMI amp module was completely shorted inside, one of the big
capacitors (100V 2200uF) was blown and resistors on both big caps showed
signs of heavy heat damage.
I replaced S64AMI (expensive!), both resistors, and replaced caps with
2200uF 200V tantallum caps. Sub worked fine for ~2 hours and then blew the
fuse again. I replaced fuse - all the sub does now is humming very loudly.
S64AMI is not shorted out, caps are fine.
I read that these subs have 99% fallout rate, but I could not find ANY
solutions on how to fix this amp on the web.
Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to fix it.

Thanks!

viperz (at) mail (dot) com

Mark D. Zacharias January 18th 04 01:11 PM

JBL PSW-D112 loud humming noise

There is a 10uf 50V bipolar cap which goes bad on these. Don't know if it
would cause your problem, though. Obviously you need to recheck the output
IC, and the rectifiers and big caps.

BTW where did you get the S64AMI ? JBL doesn't stock them anymore.

Mark Z.

. ..