Kevin Meyer

Default Service Manual / Schematic for VCR Philips VR948

Hi, I am looking for a Service Manual / Schematic for a VCR from
Philips VR948. It has some very strange behaviour. After power on it
accepts commands and than it starts to ignore all commands, whether
they come from the remote or the internal operating panel.
I have been given the advice to check the mode switch, but I can not
locate a typical mode switch. There are a couple of optical sensors
and one switch with just one contact. This VCR has a Philips Turbo
Drive.

Thanks a lot
Kevin
Bruce Esquibel

Kevin Meyer ) wrote:
: Hi, I am looking for a Service Manual / Schematic for a VCR from
: Philips VR948. It has some very strange behaviour. After power on it
: accepts commands and than it starts to ignore all commands, whether
: they come from the remote or the internal operating panel.
: I have been given the advice to check the mode switch, but I can not
: locate a typical mode switch. There are a couple of optical sensors
: and one switch with just one contact. This VCR has a Philips Turbo
: Drive.

No service manual but there is a general thing to try.

Find and disable the IR sensor for the remote control (not the remote, the
receiver part in the unit), if lucky it'll have a connector you can
temporarily disconnect.

I've had just about everything under the sun with this problem. Usually bad
caps (electrolytic) in the sensor group, starts to oscillate and floods the
data line with noise.

-bruce

Kevin Meyer

Hi Bruce,
I will try that, but I fear the problem is really with the position of
the mechanics (what used to be a mode sensor problem). After powerup I
can navigate in the menues forever, but as soon as I press commands,
that change the mechanics the drive will lock up. But it seems, that
this drive is not using a cassic mode switch, but many optical sensors
(LED + light sensitive transistor or diode). Do those ever fail ? And
how would I test them without schematics ?

Thanks
Kevin