Steve

Default Digital Camera DIY repair How to?

I have a canon digital camera that is not working. How can I find out
more about the cameras schematics or info on how digital cameras work
and what are the common faults in digital camera.How to repair a
digital camera that is no longer under warranty...
Jerry G.

Only authorized service reps for Canon can have the parts and service
manuals from Canon for your unit. You will also require the test jigs, and
some dedicated test instruments, software, and PC adaptors for their
product. They do not sell any service information, schematics, or tools to
outside servicers for their products. This is the same for most of these
camera manufactures.

For many of these products, their technicians do not work at the circuit
component level in most cases, their diagrams have very little circuit
drawings. They are mostly pictorial. They change complete boards, and
modules. Then they do the testing and calibration procedures in detail.

To service any modern home video and audio equipment to any appreciable
level, it is getting more and more sophisticated. Many of the problems are
not serviceable at home, unless it is a small problem.

You have to take the camera to a Canon representative for an estimate to see
if it is worth servicing, or get a new one.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I have a canon digital camera that is not working. How can I find out
more about the cameras schematics or info on how digital cameras work
and what are the common faults in digital camera.How to repair a
digital camera that is no longer under warranty...

Jack

Well, majority of inoperative digi cameras that I have come accross and
repaired (about 30), have had one thing in common. Blown SMD fuse(s), or
SMD's that have come loose from the circuit board. 29 of these that I have
repaired are still working. Keep out of those that have been dropped and
have landed on the optics and those that you suspect having water damage.
Here is a good source for some of these service manuals. I have ordered
several from him without any problems and you can pay with PayPal.
www.electronicsrepair.net

Jan/Finland

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I have a canon digital camera that is not working. How can I find out
more about the cameras schematics or info on how digital cameras work
and what are the common faults in digital camera.How to repair a
digital camera that is no longer under warranty...

David

With a single exception, I have never seen any digital camera that has
any kind of available repair parts or service manual at all. The
single exception is the older Sony Mavica digital camera.

The boards are ultra high density with ic lead spacing in the
hundredths of inches so very specialized equipment would be required
for any kind of electronic repair.

Did you call Canon to see if they will sell you any service
information?
What is Canon's out of warranty service options for the unit?

You might find that they no longer support the unit with any repair at
all if it is more than a couple of years out of production.

David

(Steve) wrote in message . com...
I have a canon digital camera that is not working. How can I find out
more about the cameras schematics or info on how digital cameras work
and what are the common faults in digital camera.How to repair a
digital camera that is no longer under warranty...

Jim Adney

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 8:57:55 -0800 DaveC wrote:

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 5:29:44 -0800, Sam Goldwasser wrote
(in message ):

Basically, unless you are an authorized servicer, you can't. If the
camera is worth repairing, have it repaired professionally.

When I bought my Olympus C-2020Z digital camera, I ordered and received the
service manual for it, also. It includes complete dis/reassembly and
calibration information as well as full schematics.

Where did you buy the Olympus service manual?

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

jakdedert

"Jack" wrote in message
Well, majority of inoperative digi cameras that I have come accross and
repaired (about 30), have had one thing in common. Blown SMD fuse(s), or
SMD's that have come loose from the circuit board. 29 of these that I have
repaired are still working. Keep out of those that have been dropped and
have landed on the optics and those that you suspect having water damage.
Here is a good source for some of these service manuals. I have ordered
several from him without any problems and you can pay with PayPal.
www.electronicsrepair.net

A lot of good information in there. I wonder what is the native language of
the author. Some of the instructions are nearly indecypherable...reminds me
of a lot of Oriental manuals I've read. I'd guess the guy's Eastern
European.....

jak

Jan/Finland

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I have a canon digital camera that is not working. How can I find out
more about the cameras schematics or info on how digital cameras work
and what are the common faults in digital camera.How to repair a
digital camera that is no longer under warranty...

Bob Parker

"jakdedert" wrote:

A lot of good information in there. I wonder what is the native language of
the author. Some of the instructions are nearly indecypherable...reminds me
of a lot of Oriental manuals I've read. I'd guess the guy's Eastern
European.....

jak

You're correct. On one page of that website it says:

"This project is designed, managed and situated in Russia, but it has
the international contents.
Best regards.
Your Electronics Engineer from Russia."

Bob