Paul Landregan

Default DR202 LI-Ion Battery Dead

I have one of these in my laptop. Its just over a year old. It was left in
the laptop for a few weeks untouched, and seems to have gone flat. It
doesn't seem to want to charge up either. It sits at 0% and charging all the
time.
I have too it out and checked the voltage it reads 6.6v across the + & -
pins. Is there anyway I can revive this battery. Also what are the other
pins for? they are marked +, C, D,D,T,- in that order.

Any help is appreciated.

mike

Paul Landregan wrote:
I have one of these in my laptop. Its just over a year old. It was left in
the laptop for a few weeks untouched, and seems to have gone flat. It
doesn't seem to want to charge up either. It sits at 0% and charging all the
time.
I have too it out and checked the voltage it reads 6.6v across the + & -
pins. Is there anyway I can revive this battery. Also what are the other
pins for? they are marked +, C, D,D,T,- in that order.

Any help is appreciated.

Sometimes you can fix 'em by charging up to the correct voltage per cell.
Sometimes that resets the protection. Be careful, use low current.
There are a zillion technical and safety issues. Know what you're doing
before you start.
Wear safety glasses. YMMV, don't try this at home.
mike

laptops and parts Test Equipment
Honda CB-125S
TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

mike

Paul Landregan wrote:
So charging it up in the laptop and leaving it on charge overnight wont do
much?

Are you saying you didn't try that?
If you did, you know the answer.
mike

Paul Landregan

"mike" wrote in message ...
Paul Landregan wrote:
So charging it up in the laptop and leaving it on charge overnight wont

do
much?

Are you saying you didn't try that?
If you did, you know the answer.
mike

I suppose I do. I have tried applying a 12v supply across the + and -
terminals, the current draw was around 6mA. I am maybe thinking the charge
pin is the one maked C. Is this correct?

mike

Paul Landregan wrote:
"mike" wrote in message ...

Paul Landregan wrote:

So charging it up in the laptop and leaving it on charge overnight wont

do

much?

Are you saying you didn't try that?
If you did, you know the answer.
mike

I suppose I do. I have tried applying a 12v supply across the + and -
terminals, the current draw was around 6mA. I am maybe thinking the charge
pin is the one maked C. Is this correct?

Yep, I had the same problem with a battery. Could get current out, but
not in, Had separate fet switches inside.
I had to open the pack, charge the cells individually, download the spec
for the processor and reverse engineer the design. Turned out they used
a latching reset that disabled the processor. Forced the reset high and
it stayed there and the battery worked. I got lucky.

C might be clock for the digital interface. It's not unusual for the
battery to discuss it's condition with the laptop before charging is
enabled. If it is, you wouldn't want to stuff charge voltage into it.

laptops and parts Test Equipment
Honda CB-125S
TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

Andre

mike wrote in message ...
Paul Landregan wrote:
"mike" wrote in message ...

Paul Landregan wrote:

So charging it up in the laptop and leaving it on charge overnight wont

do

much?

Are you saying you didn't try that?
If you did, you know the answer.
mike

I suppose I do. I have tried applying a 12v supply across the + and -
terminals, the current draw was around 6mA. I am maybe thinking the charge
pin is the one maked C. Is this correct?

Yep, I had the same problem with a battery. Could get current out, but
not in, Had separate fet switches inside.
I had to open the pack, charge the cells individually, download the spec
for the processor and reverse engineer the design. Turned out they used
a latching reset that disabled the processor. Forced the reset high and
it stayed there and the battery worked. I got lucky.

Hmm- interesting. I've had some success leaving the battery in a cold
shed for a couple of days then charging it; it then seemed to recover
most of its capacity. (Acernote Lite AN370C)

Needless to say, opening the pack and charging the cells if you don't
know EXACTLY what you are doing is a BAD idea, all kinds of risks
(Ever seen a Li- battery go into thermal failure? (Hint: "Venting with
flame")

-A

C might be clock for the digital interface. It's not unusual for the
battery to discuss it's condition with the laptop before charging is
enabled. If it is, you wouldn't want to stuff charge voltage into it.

Paul Landregan

"Paul Landregan" wrote in message
Thanks Andre, never thought of the cold batter theory. I will place it in
the freezer for an hour and see if it makes any difference.

"Andre" wrote in message
m...
mike wrote in message

Paul Landregan wrote:
"mike" wrote in message

Paul Landregan wrote:

[...]

Battey has come out of the freezer after being in there for 4 hours. Its
really cold. Placed in laptop will report back if it was charged at all.