henry b

Default Weak TV Tuner problems - ideas please!

Hi,
I'm trying to sort out a tuning problem with a philips 28pw6005 tv.
there are no problems with AV inputs, but the picture through the
aerial is very weak - it just about picks up a signal (poor picture
with ok audio) from the cable box, ie the strongest signal. Its not
the signal because i've checked it with another tv and is fine.
Having opened the box, i see underneath the tuner (silver shielded
unit with aerial connector on outside) there is a little brown mess.
As the tuner is working weakly would unsoldering and then resoldering
the tuner unit solve this problem?? - ie its a solder connection
problem?
I've got the numbers/letters off the tuner but not sure if this would
be any help?
thanks for any ideas/advice,
henry.
eddumweer

There could be two problems now, the automatic gain control for receiving is
not good (this depends on the strenght of the received signal), or the
tunerpart is bad (without reason, bad connections or high statics in the
air)

Common is normally bad connections, but ather problems can occure.

Greetings Peter

"Henry Bruce" schreef in bericht
peter,
thanks for the reply.
I tried knocking and nudging the tuner box a little but the picture didnt
improve, does this mean there are prob no faulty connections and there's
actually something wrong with it? is is definately the tuner and nothing
else? If so, is the tuner a black box, or is it possible to repair them?
I found a replacement tuner for aboud £50 from ireland - that seems too

much
to make it worthwhile following that route.
sorry for all the questions,
thanks, henry.

"eddumweer" wrote in message
You can check the tunerpart for bad solder connections, by knocking (not

hard) with the isolated part of a screwdriver at the tunerpart, many
tunerparts have bad solder connections. By knocking a bit, the picture
sometimes come back perfect, then there are bad connections.

The number on the tunerpart is the stocknumber, UV... FE..

Greetings Peter

"henry b" schreef in bericht
om...