DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   testing compaq power supply ? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/40574-testing-compaq-power-supply.html)

Kevin Falconer November 21st 03 03:55 AM

testing compaq power supply ?

I inherited a compaq presario that had just gone dead, no fan on power
supply
no boot up, nothing. I installed a new power supply from compaq and
still nothing. I just read there is a turn on terminal for some power
supplies,
either this thing is not being turned on or I received a defective
power supply from compaq ? How do I test this power supply out of the
'puter ?

Kevin Falconer Fort Myers, FL

Rheilly Phoull November 21st 03 04:12 AM

testing compaq power supply ?

"Kevin Falconer" wrote in message
om...
I inherited a compaq presario that had just gone dead, no fan on power
supply
no boot up, nothing. I installed a new power supply from compaq and
still nothing. I just read there is a turn on terminal for some power
supplies,
either this thing is not being turned on or I received a defective
power supply from compaq ? How do I test this power supply out of the
'puter ?

Kevin Falconer Fort Myers, FL

Then again it could be the mobo ?? (not giving "power good" etc).
To test the PSU if a standard ATX, you usually have to take the green pin #
14 to gnd and put a load on the 5v line (about 0.5 amp).
If the compaq is a proprietry thing you might find help on
www.hardwarebook.net/connector/ have a look in any case it's a handy source
of info.
--
Regards ............... Rheilly Phoull

Sam Goldwasser November 21st 03 01:23 PM

(Kevin Falconer) writes:

I inherited a compaq presario that had just gone dead, no fan on power
supply
no boot up, nothing. I installed a new power supply from compaq and
still nothing. I just read there is a turn on terminal for some power
supplies,
either this thing is not being turned on or I received a defective
power supply from compaq ? How do I test this power supply out of the
'puter ?

HeHeHeHE.... :) Reset the CMOS (there is proabbly a jumper and see if
it helps. These PCs will play dead if the CMOS is corrupted, even to
the point of no power at all.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:
http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.