DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Leader equip. software and compatibility (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/40526-leader-equip-software-compatibility.html)

Chris November 19th 03 01:09 AM

Leader equip. software and compatibility

I've just recently purchased a Leader video generator and it's accompanying
video encoder, the LT1610A and LT1606. The equipment works great until you
have to upgrade your computer. I was put in a situation where I needed to
upgrade to WinXP, an OS more accustomed to digital video. Leader does not
and will not supply compatible software. Mind you that this equipment is
less than 2 months old. I am told that their NEW line of generators will
have XP compatibility but it PROBABLY won't be backwards compatible. That's
BS. Certain promises were made to me by the technical dept. at Leader USA.
Few of them have panned out. What gets me is that this equipment is supposed
to generated digital video type signals but they will not support it for
WinXP.
I used to be a firm user of Leader generators but now I don't think so. You
shouldn't sell a product for close to $10,000.00 and then drop support
because of a Windows upgrade. Upgrades of this nature will always happen and
if Leader thinks that everyone will upgrade their Leader equipment because
of Windows then they are sadly mistaken. Worse yet, it looks like we'll be
stuck with the equipment. The distributor does not sell Quantum, the
equipment I wish to replace this piece of sh!t with, nor will we get a
refund.
FYI, the Leader LT1610A and ALL of the other programable video generators
they make must be programmed with the proper timings and patterns. Most
manufacturers have their own type of patterns and some timings which require
reprogramming. Their software won't even allow a connection in XP. The
service manager at Leader tells me to either get another system or have a
dual boot system. More BS. How the hell am I supposed to link this with
alignment software in XP? Am I supposed to go to the manufacturers I
represent and ask them to write software specifically written for Leader
equipment? For 10 grand I expect support regardless of the OS. If you can't
support it then either sell it dirt cheap with no support (buy as is) or
don't sell it at all.
Quantum makes a single piece programmable that is guaranteed to work in XP
and they expect to fully support their product. From what I hear, this is
true. Why did I choose Leader? My past experiences with them have been
excellent. Even when I was considering to buy this equipment I was promised
all kinds of support. So where is it now? I hope Quantum offers what Leader
promises but can't provide.