Homer Pigeon

Default Zenith TV SL2067 loss vertical sweep

This set now has a horizontal line, which occurred while watching a
program. No pop or warning just a collapse. Anyone have a clue as to
what the problem could be? I would like to make a repair attempt before
tossing the set. Familiar with TV's from about 20 years ago but not
these newfangled contraptions. My experience tells me that if I'm lucky
it could be a known failure. Thanks in advance,
--
Homer
Address spam blocked

David

Troubleshoot the vertical output ic stage and sweep derived power supply for
the vertical circuit. Could be anything from solder connections to the
vertical ic, open fusible resistor on the vertical b+ line, or a failure of
the vertical output ic due to high esr capacitors in the vertical stage,
plus many other less common causes.
David

Homer Pigeon wrote in message
This set now has a horizontal line, which occurred while watching a
program. No pop or warning just a collapse. Anyone have a clue as to
what the problem could be? I would like to make a repair attempt before
tossing the set. Familiar with TV's from about 20 years ago but not
these newfangled contraptions. My experience tells me that if I'm lucky
it could be a known failure. Thanks in advance,
--
Homer
Address spam blocked

Homer Pigeon

Oh boy, sounds like this could be a job for "super manual." I'll open it
up and look for the obvious. Would you happen to know off hand the ID #
of (vertical IC, & fusible resistor)? I can probably find the IC numbers
on the net and identify them that way. The fuse resistor could be a
hassle without a number or schematic. I'll know more once it's open. I
have serviced a set or two with obvious charred board areas pointing to
the problem. Maybe I'll still luck out. Thanks David for the quick
reply.
--
Homer

"David" wrote in message
[...]

James Sweet

"Homer Pigeon" wrote in message
Oh boy, sounds like this could be a job for "super manual." I'll open it
up and look for the obvious. Would you happen to know off hand the ID #
of (vertical IC, & fusible resistor)? I can probably find the IC numbers
on the net and identify them that way. The fuse resistor could be a
hassle without a number or schematic. I'll know more once it's open. I
have serviced a set or two with obvious charred board areas pointing to
the problem. Maybe I'll still luck out. Thanks David for the quick
reply.
--
Homer

The vertical output IC should be obvious, they all look pretty much the
same, you can look up a datasheet for it online and see the pinout, the
fusible resistor would be in series with the Vcc pin, there's a pretty good
chance the problem is nothing more than a bad connection that will need to
be resoldered. Usually if the chip actually fails there's some smoke.

Homer Pigeon

"James Sweet" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the info James. I opened up the TV last night and blew out the dust
(10 years worth). There is a general layout pasted inside and I located the IC.
Next to it is a fuse, which I assume is associated with this device. Fuse checks
OK and I could see no evidence of overheating anywhere on the PCB. Also, I was
watching the set when it failed and neither saw nor smelled anything. The device
itself is held with clips to a large heatsink so at the moment I can't see a
number. I will need to remove the board to get at the pins, which I'll work on
tomorrow. Bet that will do it, I hope I hope! Appreciate all the help.

Homer Pigeon

Thank you, thank you! The TV is working. Using a 10x loupe the IC pins all
looked good but after resoldering them it repaired the problem.
--
Homer

Shoreline Electronics

This should help:

Defective Vertical Output, Ic2100 (La7837) And Open Resistor, R3242 (2.7 Ohm
1/2).

If the resistor is open....the IC is bad. If the resistor is good...then
resolder the IC.

--
Jeff Stielau

"If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
Fudd's First Law of Opposition - Sir Sidney Fudd