DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Epson 5.25" floppy drive alignment (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/40468-epson-5-25%22-floppy-drive-alignment.html)

Matt Carpenter November 15th 03 05:55 PM

Epson 5.25" floppy drive alignment

I'm attempting to restore an old Kaypro IIx with Epson SD-521 5.25" floppy
disk drives (DSDD).

One drive works fine, but the second drive is misaligned. I just purchased
an analog alignment diskette but I'm not sure which test points should be
used.

On the drive there is a set of three pins marked TP1, another set of three
pins marked TP2, and a single pin labeled TP3.

I'll need to find both head signals to adjust the radial head alignment, the
index sensor signal to test the index sensor, and the track 0 detector
signal.

Are floppy drives standard enough such that they use the same names for the
test points? Or, does someone know how/where I could find documentation on
this drive?

Finally, what exactly is the f and 2f signals on the alignment disk?

Thanks, Matt
[mkath at charter dot net]