LTT

Default Schematic for a Philips 55p8241 projection TV

Hello All,
Being a long time lurker here I'm turing to all of You for help. My
mother-in-law has been after Me for some time now to come over and look at
her late husband's bigscreen TV.I'm getting it from the wife now too, so I
can not put this off any longer. The unit works great for a short time, but
then the sound cuts out(thermal/solder joint/cap trouble). I am going to be
going into this unit in the next couple of weeks, but I'd rather have a
schematic to save me time tracing the whole chassis. I'm a 24 year
electronic tech, have all of the equipment and can do it the hard way, I'd
just like not to have to spend any more time than I have to on this one.
Can anyone help???

Thanks!

James Sweet

"LTT" wrote in message
Hello All,
Being a long time lurker here I'm turing to all of You for help. My
mother-in-law has been after Me for some time now to come over and look at
her late husband's bigscreen TV.I'm getting it from the wife now too, so I
can not put this off any longer. The unit works great for a short time,

but
then the sound cuts out(thermal/solder joint/cap trouble). I am going to

be
going into this unit in the next couple of weeks, but I'd rather have a
schematic to save me time tracing the whole chassis. I'm a 24 year
electronic tech, have all of the equipment and can do it the hard way, I'd
just like not to have to spend any more time than I have to on this one.
Can anyone help???

Thanks!

I think you're on the right track, just look for cold solder joints in the
power supply or horizontal section, a can of freeze spray might be useful
too.

David

First off, you need to determine the general area where to look.
It is also possible that the set is in the wrong audio mode in the user
menu, check that first.
Does it lose audio only on the tuner? Does it lose audio on the A/V inputs?
If the set has audio output jacks, does it lose audio there also?

You will need to buy the Service manual from Philips as there is no way to
copy it from the copyrighted Philips Force CD-Rom service information that
authorized servicers have to use.

At least audio problems are generally easy to trace back with little
equipment, an audio signal injector and an audio signal tracer (amplified
speaker).

David

LTT wrote in message
Hello All,
Being a long time lurker here I'm turing to all of You for help. My
mother-in-law has been after Me for some time now to come over and look at
her late husband's bigscreen TV.I'm getting it from the wife now too, so I
can not put this off any longer. The unit works great for a short time,

but
then the sound cuts out(thermal/solder joint/cap trouble). I am going to

be
going into this unit in the next couple of weeks, but I'd rather have a
schematic to save me time tracing the whole chassis. I'm a 24 year
electronic tech, have all of the equipment and can do it the hard way, I'd
just like not to have to spend any more time than I have to on this one.
Can anyone help???

Thanks!

LTT

Hi David,
I got a look at the set the other day and I know the following:
The sound is set up correctly. All menu items have been checked and
rechecked.

The set drops audio only to the internal speakers. The AV outputs still
function normally.(I'm guessing the audio amp is My first stop.)

The audio starts off(cold set) working normally, then after a short time the
audio just cuts out(sounds like solder joints/thermal trouble.)

I can trace the set, and have all of the equipment to do so. I was just
hoping that I wouldn't have to go in "Blind" and that someone here might
have the schematic.

I will have to see if I can get a cost for the service manual
Does anyone have an address(web site) for them?

Thanks!