John J. Lee

Default Fluorescent light capacitor function and failure mode

I'm trying to fix a fluorescent kitchen light. It was blowing the
downstairs lighting circuit fuse every time the wall switch was turned
on, even when the fluorescent tube was removed.

The breakage seems to have been caused by me leaving something cooking
on the kitchen grill for ages (never again!), causing the room to
become very hot (condensation on the window, so maybe some in the
light, too), and maybe some grease / carbon to settle on surfaces in
the room (though I can't actually see or feel any). I'm pretty sure
the light was switched on when I left it. There was no fire,
thankfully.

The light has a standard old-fashioned circuit with just a ballast
(just an inductor?) and a "starter" (bimetallic strip thingy).
There's also a big electrolytic capacitor, connected directly across
the mains. So, with the fluorescent tube removed, the circuit should
just be the capacitor connected across the mains.

If I disconnect the capacitor from one side of the connecting block
that it's wired to, switching it on at the wall no longer blows the
fuse (and there's no short across the mains terminals with the
capacitor connected). So it's the capacitor that's at fault, not some
grease or something shorting things out.

First, is the capacitor just there to smooth the voltage, to reduce
flicker? Can I disconnect it and switch it all on again, to see if
anything else is broken?

Second, when I measure the (DC) resistance of the capacitor with a
multimeter, I get 500 kOhms or so. Anybody care to guess what
happened to it to cause it to start breaking down at 250V? Was it my
fault, or was it just a coincidence that it started blowing fuses just
as I left the grill on?

TIA

John
Sam Goldwasser

(John J. Lee) writes:

I'm trying to fix a fluorescent kitchen light. It was blowing the
downstairs lighting circuit fuse every time the wall switch was turned
on, even when the fluorescent tube was removed.

The breakage seems to have been caused by me leaving something cooking
on the kitchen grill for ages (never again!), causing the room to
become very hot (condensation on the window, so maybe some in the
light, too), and maybe some grease / carbon to settle on surfaces in
the room (though I can't actually see or feel any). I'm pretty sure
the light was switched on when I left it. There was no fire,
thankfully.

The light has a standard old-fashioned circuit with just a ballast
(just an inductor?) and a "starter" (bimetallic strip thingy).

Should be.

There's also a big electrolytic capacitor, connected directly across
the mains. So, with the fluorescent tube removed, the circuit should
just be the capacitor connected across the mains.

Are you sure it's electrolytic?

Should work without it if it's just across the AC input. There are oftem
small uF caps for RFI filtering.

If I disconnect the capacitor from one side of the connecting block
that it's wired to, switching it on at the wall no longer blows the
fuse (and there's no short across the mains terminals with the
capacitor connected). So it's the capacitor that's at fault, not some
grease or something shorting things out.

First, is the capacitor just there to smooth the voltage, to reduce
flicker? Can I disconnect it and switch it all on again, to see if
anything else is broken?

Second, when I measure the (DC) resistance of the capacitor with a
multimeter, I get 500 kOhms or so. Anybody care to guess what
happened to it to cause it to start breaking down at 250V? Was it my
fault, or was it just a coincidence that it started blowing fuses just
as I left the grill on?

If the cap is all that's bad, could certainly be a conincidence.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:
http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

James Sweet

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
(John J. Lee) writes:

[...]

Sounds like the capacitor is there for power factor correction, I'm assuming
you're in the UK or somewhere else with 240v mains, over here most ballasts
are the rapid start type and the power factor correction capacitor is
internal.

H. R. Bob Hofmann

(John J. Lee) wrote in message ...
[...]

I've never seen a fixture with a large electrolytic across the power
line. Are you from the UK since you use the word "mains" for the
power line? Any capacitor is probably just to filter out
high-frequency noise from the lamp arc, 50 or 60 Hz and many, many
harmonics. The capacitor is probably breaking down when exposed to
the full line voltage, but not under the low voltage from the ohmmeter
section of the multimeter. Almost any capacitor rated at twice the
line voltage will reduce the "noise going back onto the power line.
It is most evident when listening to AM radio. If you can use the
radios in your house with the light on, without the capacitor, then it
probably is ok to continue to use it without interfering with your
neighbors radio reception. But if you are in an apartment house, you
may cause interference to your neighbors radio due to the ac power
lines radiating the noise.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann
James Sweet

[...]

The capacitor has nothing to do with filtering noise, it's to raise the
power factor. Your diagnosis that it's breaking down under the high voltage
is likely correct though.

John J. Lee

"James Sweet" writes:

I've never seen a fixture with a large electrolytic across the power
line. Are you from the UK since you use the word "mains" for the

Yes, I'm in the UK.

[...]
The capacitor has nothing to do with filtering noise, it's to raise the
power factor.

I see. I had assumed it was to prevent flicker, but it doesn't
flicker with the capacitor out, so I guess not.

Your diagnosis that it's breaking down under the high voltage
is likely correct though.

Yeah, of course -- I was wondering why, though. Perhaps condensation
formed between the contacts and heated up the casing, damaging the
internals, but if so I dunno what the physical mechanism of the
breakdown is.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

[...]

The cap might be there for power factor correction. But on a single
fixture? I doubt it unless local code specifies so.

debaser at ecn.ab.ca
-@+.%

See this link
http://www.ambercaps.com/lighting/po...n_concepts.htm

Virtually all rapid start ballasts in north america have a power factor
correction cap, but it's traditionally sealed within the ballast casing.
These can be identified by the lable saying High Power Factor, next time
you're in a hardware store have a close look at a typical F40T12 rapid start
magnetic ballast. In the UK the mains voltage is high enough that most
fluorescent fixtures use a simple choke ballast, it's more efficient than
the autotransformer ballasts we have here, but you need more than 120v to
reliably start tubes longer than about 2 feet. Choke ballasts here generally
don't have a capacitor (never seen one that did) likely because small tubes
are rarely used more than a few at a time.

debaser at ecn.ab.ca
-@+.%

[...]

I should add that older preheat ballasts had this as well, hence the reason
that they contained PCB's, which were used in the capacitor.

John J. Lee

Default Disposing of caps. containing PCBs (poly-chlorinated biphenyls)?? [was: Fluorescent...]

"James Sweet" writes:

"James Sweet" wrote in message

[...]
I should add that older preheat ballasts had this as well, hence the reason
that they contained PCB's, which were used in the capacitor.

Ack! I guess this mean this capacitor sitting beside me might well
contain PCBs. Luckily, it seems to be intact (but I'll certainly keep
it in an outdoor cupboard now, just in case). Will my local dump know
what to do with it, do you think (I'm in the UK)?

The light is certainly an old one, not the instant start variety, and
for all I know, it might be 35 years old. It's about 13 cm long,
excluding contacts, and this is what's printed on it:

AME C.22451
I.I.C. CAPACITORS LTD
5.0 MFD +- 10%
250V RMS WKG
50 C/S -25 TO +50 C
INTERNAL RESISTOR
FUSE FITTED

I presume that's *milli* farads, since the thing is so big?

Actually, the "fuse fitted" bit has me confused: why was it causing
shorts if it has a fuse?!

John