Mike

Default Sony str-de445 receiver problem

I have the sony str-de445 sorround sound reciever.

I got it for free, because it wouldnt get out of protect. I replaced the
shorted output transistors, and checked the bias resistors, and volteges,
etc...

The unit now comes out of protect, and worked fine for a little while.

one of the 5v regulators decided to go belly-up on the digital pwb, and
fried the audio codec.(silicon vented on the audio DAC).

I need the board 1-676-790-12. Anybody know where to find one of these
boards reletivly cheap? I dont want to pay retail for a new reciever.

thanks.

LASERandDVDfan

I have the sony str-de445 sorround sound reciever.

I got it for free, because it wouldnt get out of protect. I replaced the
shorted output transistors, and checked the bias resistors, and volteges,
etc...

I need the board 1-676-790-12. Anybody know where to find one of these
boards reletivly cheap? I dont want to pay retail for a new reciever

The STR-DE445 is a pretty old model, and not a very good one, IMO.

It's okay for basic use, but it's underpowered and usually notorious for having
excessive hissing noise in the speakers whenever the audio processor is being
used.

You had already sunk time and money into repairing this thing, but it may be
difficult to source a replacement board. The only thing I can suggest is to
look around for another broken STR series receiver from the same era and
cannabalize it for the processor module. This is a discontinued model, has
been since the middle of 2001.

I would recommend that salvage the parts, junk the receiver and buy a new
replacement.

If you're going to buy another Sony, don't get the lowest end. Also, Pioneer
isn't a bad choice, and they are overly conservative with their power ratings.
JVC is okay, but they can be an ergonomic nightmare. Panasonic is also okay,
but don't get the lowest end. I would go for Yamaha, but that's a pricey
choice. You do get what you pay for, though. Denon and Onkyo are also good
but not as great as Yamaha, IMO.

Or, if you insist on buying used:

Sony STR-DE845, STR-DE945, STR-DE935.

Technics SA-DA8N, SA-DA10, SA-DX1040.

Almost any Yamaha with DTS and Dolby Digital, especially if the receiver is
from their RX line as opposed to their HTR line.

These are high end machines, but they are also pretty good, especially the
Technics SA-DA10. You can find one in good condition on eBay at a price a
fraction of the $900+ MSRP. They also look great, too. Almost like the
Marantz receivers from a better time with the aluminum front, elegant controls,
a beutiful gold finish, and a nice large metal analogue volume knob in the
centre of the front made of aluminum. My only gripe with the Technics
receivers is that their amplifier stages use transistorized IC modules as
opposed to discrete transistor elements. - Reinhart
Mike

ok, I think you may be right on that one. Once that board went, that was the
end of it.

Also, all of the output transistors and circuitry are good, so if i run into
another sony, because those transistors are notorious for shorting. all of
these are good.

What I originally had, was a set-top decoder, and you ran it to a seperate
power amplifier if you know what i am talking about.

I had my cinema set up where the decoder box would run through a bunch of
tube amplifiers, IMO i thought it had better sound than the solid-state
output circuitry.

anyway, that decoder ended up dieing, because I asked my friend to hook up a
powered subwoofer, and he killed the decoder DAC by hooking it in the wrong
place. doh. anyway, thanks.

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message
[...]

Mark D. Zacharias

My Yamaha tech reps insist the RX and HTR equivalent models are identical
inside. I know they use the same service manuals, with no difference in
schematic or electronic parts list.

Mark Z.

[...]

LASERandDVDfan

What I originally had, was a set-top decoder, and you ran it to a seperate
power amplifier if you know what i am talking about.

Yeah.

You had a decoder which received and decoded the surround signal and sent the
audio output to separate amplifier elements.

Such a configuration is typically an audiophile-type.

It's a pity that your friend fried the decoder. Hope it wasn't something like
a Lexicon decoder. If it was, then you ought to make him pay for it. Those
decoders, even a Technics one, can be hard to come by and do not sell for
cheap, even used. - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

My Yamaha tech reps insist the RX and HTR equivalent models are identical
inside. I know they use the same service manuals, with no difference in
schematic or electronic parts list.

Okay, so I made a mistake.

But, I'd still stick with an RX. More features, for one. - Reinhart