DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best way to store NIMH and Lion batteries? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/40312-best-way-store-nimh-lion-batteries.html)

[email protected] November 9th 03 08:49 PM

Best way to store NIMH and Lion batteries?

What is the best way to store NIMH and Lion batteries? I am thinking
about long term storage for many years. They will not be used during
storage. Is it better to freeze them? Should they be charged or
discharged before storage? Do they need periodic attention, such as
recharging or "renewing"? How can I make them last as long as
possible?

TIA - Tom

Jerry G. November 10th 03 09:55 PM

Best way to store NIMH and Lion batteries?

No matter what you do, they will chemically degrade. The max shelf life is
about 2 to 3 years. Freezing them, infact may cause some internal corrosion
and damage over the long term.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

James Sweet November 10th 03 10:07 PM

"Jerry G." wrote in message
No matter what you do, they will chemically degrade. The max shelf life is
about 2 to 3 years. Freezing them, infact may cause some internal

corrosion
and damage over the long term.

--

2-3 years? I have some that are older than that and still working fine, but
then they get somewhat regular use.

Andre November 11th 03 11:46 AM

Best way to store NIMH and Lion batteries?

lid wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:07:43 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"Jerry G." wrote in message
No matter what you do, they will chemically degrade. The max shelf life is
about 2 to 3 years. Freezing them, infact may cause some internal

corrosion
and damage over the long term.

--

2-3 years? I have some that are older than that and still working fine, but
then they get somewhat regular use.

Are you suggesting that it would be better to use them than to store
them?

The ones in solar lights seem to degrade after about three years of
use, but in storage, NiCd last decades if they don't corrode. NiMH can
sometimes get a pseudo-memory disease if used after long storage which
goes away when they are correctly cycled a few times (loss of
capacity). This is always advisable with Nixx cells - a simple
capacity meter may be built from a clock and 2.5 ohm resistor
(
www.repairfaq.org)

If the cells have the white powder disease this may not be terminal,
clean off with solvent of your choice on cotton bud then distilled
water (vinegar seems to work) and test, they usually work fine. Dry
properly before use!

-A

Thanks to you and Jerry for the replies.

Tom