Scott Ehrlich

Default How do I defeat VCR's blue screen?

I have two different working cable-ready consumer-grade VCRs I use for
cable (they also act as the cable converter).

If I flip to a channel I shouldn't get, since the tuner cannot lock onto
a clear picture, the VCRs flips to a blue screen. How do I defeat the
blue screen on either VCR? The VCR menus are very basic, and the
external switches are few. I presume there must be a switch, maybe
inside, to permit me to see the scrambled or poor quality picture
instead of the blocking blue screen.

One VCR is a Panasonic, the other is an RCA. I've seen the same effect
from many other VCRs, and some cable-ready TVs, too.

How can the blue screen be defeated without the use of an external cable
box?

Thanks in advance.

Scott
Richard Crowley

"Scott Ehrlich" wrote in message

I have two different working cable-ready consumer-grade VCRs I use for
cable (they also act as the cable converter).

If I flip to a channel I shouldn't get, since the tuner cannot lock onto
a clear picture, the VCRs flips to a blue screen. How do I defeat the
blue screen on either VCR? The VCR menus are very basic, and the
external switches are few. I presume there must be a switch, maybe
inside, to permit me to see the scrambled or poor quality picture
instead of the blocking blue screen.

One VCR is a Panasonic, the other is an RCA. I've seen the same effect
from many other VCRs, and some cable-ready TVs, too.

How can the blue screen be defeated without the use of an external cable
box?

It is almost certainly hard-coded into the firmware.
I doubt very much if there is anything you can do to
change that behavior short of re-writing and retro-

Jerry G.

If there is no option in the user menu, there is no easy way. The software
for this is written in to the firmware code of the uPC. Get a colour black
source such as from a TV sync generator, or use a video camera with the lens
cap on it as a black source going in to the external input of the machine.
As long as it sees video coming in, it should not give you a blue screen.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Scott Ehrlich" wrote in message

I have two different working cable-ready consumer-grade VCRs I use for
cable (they also act as the cable converter).

If I flip to a channel I shouldn't get, since the tuner cannot lock onto
a clear picture, the VCRs flips to a blue screen. How do I defeat the
blue screen on either VCR? The VCR menus are very basic, and the
external switches are few. I presume there must be a switch, maybe
inside, to permit me to see the scrambled or poor quality picture
instead of the blocking blue screen.

One VCR is a Panasonic, the other is an RCA. I've seen the same effect
from many other VCRs, and some cable-ready TVs, too.

How can the blue screen be defeated without the use of an external cable
box?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Bill

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

[...]

My (old) Mitsubishi HS-U770 has a switchable video mute as a menu item. Most
VCRs do not.

Bill

Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover

In article ,
mentioned...

[...]

I would guess that the hardware, mainly the signal level and squelch,
have a lot to do with this.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 at hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@ u@e@n@t@@
Chaos Master

I found ancient runes from Jason ] in the floor of
sci.electronics.repair:

Nothing you can do with VCR or combos. But you do have choice with TV
JVC sets that I know for sure. They have option for noise muting,
turn it off gives you snow or a noisy pix instead of blue.

I have an LG TV which has an option that turns off the TV after a time (10 mins
IIRC) of no or bad reception. Otherwise it just stays on the noisy station.

--
'You receive a scroll of signature. It says:'
Chaos Master® - Posting from Porto Alegre - Brazil.

Michael A. Terrell

"Jerry G." wrote:

If there is no option in the user menu, there is no easy way. The software
for this is written in to the firmware code of the uPC. Get a colour black
source such as from a TV sync generator, or use a video camera with the lens
cap on it as a black source going in to the external input of the machine.
As long as it sees video coming in, it should not give you a blue screen.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg

How is that supposed to help? he can't see what he wants, so you want
him to hook it to a different video source?

--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Chaos Master

I found ancient runes from ] in the floor of
sci.electronics.repair:

Install Linux ? No blue screens.

Or Mac OS X. At least it gets user-friendly.

--
'You receive a scroll of signature. It says:'
Chaos Master® - Posting from Porto Alegre - Brazil.
E-mail address is yummy food for spammers®.

Andre

Chaos Master wrote in message . ..
I found ancient runes from ] in the floor of
sci.electronics.repair:

Install Linux ? No blue screens.

Or Mac OS X. At least it gets user-friendly.

Yeah - try getting MacOS to crash. It seems pretty stable.

;-)

-A
Bushy

Install Linux ? No blue screens.

Or Mac OS X. At least it gets user-friendly.

Or download X-Setup and change the blue screen of death to a different
colour....

Peter

blue is better deborah barrie UK diy 8 March 19th 04 09:45 PM
Mitsubishi CS-28EX1C No picture just black screen with blue and red speckles! Help needed!! Bubba Electronics Repair 1 October 21st 03 03:07 AM
Blue, blue, my world is blue -- is this fixable? Eric Vey Electronics Repair 2 September 24th 03 10:45 PM
Disable blue screen on VCR Ralph Wade Phillips Electronics Repair 3 August 27th 03 02:04 PM
Used RPTV Screen Replacments? Steve Reinis Electronics Repair 1 July 21st 03 01:20 AM