Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Yamaha CDV-1600 LD player

Anybody here know the correct belt sizes or part numbers for a Yamaha
CVD-1600 CD/laserdisc player?

I need both belts, one for tray mechanism and other for the laser
assembly. One belt melted the other disintegrated.

Worst case, I can measure and guestimate once getting an worthwhile belt
order in place (might as well do the tape deck and VCRs at the same time).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Anybody here know the correct belt sizes or part numbers for a Yamaha
CVD-1600 CD/laserdisc player?

I need both belts, one for tray mechanism and other for the laser
assembly. One belt melted the other disintegrated.

Worst case, I can measure and guestimate once getting an worthwhile belt
order in place (might as well do the tape deck and VCRs at the same time).

It's probably a CDV-1600, not CVD.

http://www.target.com/p/rubber-bands...p/-/A-16603894

Go find that, pick out a couple that comes close, make sure the rest of
the unit works, then waste time trying to find real belts.

Even with OEM part numbers in hand, you still aren't going to find them.

I never remember seeing belt sizes listed in the service manuals for any
player.

So if the originals are that bad, get the Target universal belt kit, find
the ones that come the closest, make measurements while fresh then track
down a proper source. If they are just loading belts, you can probably leave
the rubberbands in and just replace them every few months.

Don't laugh at that Target option, the dime sized ones in the collection
work great on those drawer model cd/dvd burners for computers. I got one in
my Pioneer burner from 2005 and it's been like 2 years now.

It'll be the best $1.87 you ever spent.

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bruce Esquibel wrote:
Cydrome Leader wrote:
Anybody here know the correct belt sizes or part numbers for a Yamaha
CVD-1600 CD/laserdisc player?

I need both belts, one for tray mechanism and other for the laser
assembly. One belt melted the other disintegrated.

Worst case, I can measure and guestimate once getting an worthwhile belt
order in place (might as well do the tape deck and VCRs at the same time).

It's probably a CDV-1600, not CVD.

Yeah, cdv, or whatever. I was sort of hoping the n cook guy would have the
data memorized on this all.

http://www.target.com/p/rubber-bands...p/-/A-16603894

Go find that, pick out a couple that comes close, make sure the rest of
the unit works, then waste time trying to find real belts.

The laser assembly is running with a doubled over skinny rubber band.
That's how I determined the unit works otherwise and deserves a proper
repair. The tray can be manually operated and the mechanism that ramps the
clamp assembly up and down is gear driven and works too.

Even with OEM part numbers in hand, you still aren't going to find them.

I never remember seeing belt sizes listed in the service manuals for any
player.

They'd have a number which at least back in the day could be cross
referenced to Russel or somebody else. Some chatter came up here or
another group where PRB bought Russel or something like that and they
claim to still be in business. I'm sort of curious to see how old the
belts they ship out are. Are they just dried up, melted or just staning
the yellow plastic back they come in? The whole belt measuring slide rule
tool -5% should be fine in the other tape decks.

So if the originals are that bad, get the Target universal belt kit, find
the ones that come the closest, make measurements while fresh then track
down a proper source. If they are just loading belts, you can probably leave
the rubberbands in and just replace them every few months.

It's a real bitch to get to the tray belt as most of it's obscured by the
front bezel. My spring tools won't even fit in there, will have to bendup
paperclips or something.

Don't laugh at that Target option, the dime sized ones in the collection
work great on those drawer model cd/dvd burners for computers. I got one in
my Pioneer burner from 2005 and it's been like 2 years now.

It'll be the best $1.87 you ever spent.

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Bruce Esquibel wrote:
Cydrome Leader wrote:
[...]

This was just too silly to not share as a video

https://vimeo.com/186477070
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Use a two pencils inside the belt and pull to the side. Measure the distance with a ruler and that should give you an estimate of the size. For the type of usage, the PRB/Russel belt would be either an SCA or SCQ type. I would guess that the measurement will be around 3. Try either an SCA3.0 or SCQ3.0
Note that the 3.0 in this case would be a circumference measurement.

Dan

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Anybody here know the correct belt sizes or part numbers for a Yamaha
CVD-1600 CD/laserdisc player?

I need both belts, one for tray mechanism and other for the laser
assembly. One belt melted the other disintegrated.

Worst case, I can measure and guestimate once getting an worthwhile belt
order in place (might as well do the tape deck and VCRs at the same time).

I've had surprisingly good luck replacing these with ordinary rubber bands!
I was amazed they actually work, but they seem to do fine. Digi-Key seems
to ship a lot of stuff in IC tubes with square cross-section reddish rubber
bands holding the plugs in the ends, that are quite similar in size to the
belts used in many of these decks.

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In this case this is a loading belt which is not particularly important. For "drive" belts though, a more precise belt is usually required.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I still have a supply of good belts. There aren't too many in this unit. Measure the belts if you can. They are still available from suppliers. Believe it or not there are still a large number of VCRs being used.

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/10/2016 23:26, Jon Elson wrote:
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Anybody here know the correct belt sizes or part numbers for a Yamaha
CVD-1600 CD/laserdisc player?

I need both belts, one for tray mechanism and other for the laser
assembly. One belt melted the other disintegrated.

Worst case, I can measure and guestimate once getting an worthwhile belt
order in place (might as well do the tape deck and VCRs at the same time).

I've had surprisingly good luck replacing these with ordinary rubber bands!
I was amazed they actually work, but they seem to do fine. Digi-Key seems
to ship a lot of stuff in IC tubes with square cross-section reddish rubber
bands holding the plugs in the ends, that are quite similar in size to the
belts used in many of these decks.

Jon

Try against a soldering iron . You may find they are low grade silicone
rubber, will take a lot more temperature than latex rubber and different
smell. Not full grade high temp silicone , but dynamically and
degradation purposes much better than latex. Price of latex gone up and
silicone gone down recently. Its creeping into a lot of areas where
latex was previously used for bands

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Years, or decades ago you could pick this stuff up at a counter, one at a
time if needed with no issues. It's all internet/mail order now.

True but I'm still wondering if anything is available these days.

http://russellind.com/downl.htm

It does look like they combined, besides Russells line, they show the EVG
and PRB listings, but I'm wondering if that is all nostalga. The web page
itself hasn't been updated since 2009 and some of those catalogs are 10+
years old.

Just saying, because it is still listed doesn't equal it being available.

Although it does look like there is a belt market out there, it seems most
places specialize in cassette and turntable ones.

I didn't dig down real deep but it looks like MCM, which I used to order
belts and wheels by the pound (well, a lot), just have a few general
assortments of square and round ones, kits. Guess the days of page after
page of flats, rounds and squares are history.

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The need for many different sizes of belts has gone. There are fewer pieces of equipment that require belts these days. CD and DVD players being the most common now, require only a few sizes as most are standard. Aside from older units that some are trying to maintain, there are few new items needing belts.
There are newer models that use direct geared drives now too.

As time goes on, there will be fewer suppliers, but these belts are still available.

Those of us that still work on the older gear still use them. I stock quite an assortment because it was easier and cheaper to have the stock. Not all services work that way though. The main issue is to keep the belts from deteriorating over time.

Dan

Woodworking Tools 1600-1900 basilisk[_2_] Woodworking 6 February 14th 11 10:03 PM
Yamaha dual audio CD recorder and player N Cook Electronics Repair 9 December 3rd 07 03:49 AM
Yamaha cd player spindle problem?? TJB Electronics Repair 25 March 25th 07 08:53 AM
ryobi 1600 sander Toller Woodworking 5 September 3rd 05 10:10 PM
Ryboi WDS-1600 Richard Woodworking 3 August 18th 05 08:04 PM