Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general

Default Cable Modem Help

On 10/6/2016 2:35 AM, Andy wrote:
The second part of youre post Phil was not mine i was replying to the
original poster
my post ends after the talk about channel bonding.
when you see the same hear that is the other posters reply to mine

Dude! When you top post, you have no justification for complaining how
quotes of your messages show up. I can't believe you have made so many
posts here and no one has pointed that out to you...

--

Rick C
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general

On 10/08/2016 02:26 AM, Robert Baer wrote:

[snip]

Actual cost is always about double the ad rates.

No.

Dew tell; give *one* verifiable example.

EVERY ad i have seen: throw-away fliers (Comcast,Dish) in mailbox, ads
from provider (Comcast in my case), newspaper blow-in ads, etc wave
banners about "ONLY" blah blah and 6 point multi-liner that talks about
(BUT NO QUOTES) taxes, fees, installation, etc.
Give us an example where the rate quoted is correct (or even in the
ballpark).

"double" may be an exaggeration. Maybe not. Anyway, the actual cost can
be a lot higher.

Once I had phone service that had everything (local service, unlimited
long distance, caller ID, call waiting, etc...), advertised price "ONLY"
$39.95. The actual billed amount was above $55 (essentially, $39.95 was
a lie).

--
78 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

In Ottawa the xians put up an "abortion stills a beating heart" poster

"A christian
with a gun stills a beating heart."
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general

On Sat, 8 Oct 2016 13:07:56 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 10/08/2016 02:26 AM, Robert Baer wrote:

[snip]

Actual cost is always about double the ad rates.

No.

Dew tell; give *one* verifiable example.

EVERY ad i have seen: throw-away fliers (Comcast,Dish) in mailbox, ads
from provider (Comcast in my case), newspaper blow-in ads, etc wave
banners about "ONLY" blah blah and 6 point multi-liner that talks about
(BUT NO QUOTES) taxes, fees, installation, etc.
Give us an example where the rate quoted is correct (or even in the
ballpark).

You made the claim. Back it up!

"double" may be an exaggeration. Maybe not. Anyway, the actual cost can
be a lot higher.

A big exaggeration.

Once I had phone service that had everything (local service, unlimited
long distance, caller ID, call waiting, etc...), advertised price "ONLY"
$39.95. The actual billed amount was above $55 (essentially, $39.95 was
a lie).

I can believe that. Most of those "fees" are fixed, not based on the
service. You'd pay the same if it were a $150 plan (whatever it might
include).
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general

They can figure out the taxes and fees for you they are just to lazy to do
the math.
I have had them do it many times when i make adjustments to my services.

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"rickman" wrote in message
On 10/8/2016 3:26 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
krw wrote:
On Fri, 07 Oct 2016 03:19:07 -0800, Robert Baer
wrote:

krw wrote:
On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 08:34:51 -0700, Ken
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 20:28:59 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 16:29:23 -0700, Ken
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 15:45:10 -0400, wrote:

About like the Direct TV droids who accost me in stores. I tell
them,
loudly, that their service sucks so bad that even as bad as AT&T
has
been, it's worlds better than DTV. ...and I get Netflix now.

What don't you like about Direct TV? I've been using them for the
last
few months, and so far they've been fine.

Dropout every time a cloud rolls by (not quite that bad, but...).
They
promised that they could fix that but never did.

As I said, I've had only a little experience with them, but I've
never
had a problem anything like that. The only dropout we've had was for
about ten minutes during a severe thunderstorm.

Surly
representatives. Charging for the repair of *their* equipment.

I've had no experience with either (except for the man who installed
it, and he was very pleasant and helpful).

Cost.

Our only alternative is Comcast, and they are substantially less
expensive than Comcast.

Are you comparing teaser rates to normal rates? AT&T was about the
same price as DTV but includes Internet. DSL was more than $50/mo and
while neither is perfectly reliable, the fiber is better and 50x
faster than DSL.
I do not think that there are any "teaser" rates; now advertized
rates is anther story.

You're wrong, of course.

Those are always bull****, since all of the taxes and fees are
studiously not included.

Irrelevant.

Actual cost is always about double the ad rates.

No.

Dew tell; give *one* verifiable example.

EVERY ad i have seen: throw-away fliers (Comcast,Dish) in mailbox, ads
from provider (Comcast in my case), newspaper blow-in ads, etc wave
banners about "ONLY" blah blah and 6 point multi-liner that talks about
(BUT NO QUOTES) taxes, fees, installation, etc.
Give us an example where the rate quoted is correct (or even in the
ballpark).

I have tried to ask about the fees and "taxes" and been told they don't
know, seems the billing computer is the only entity that actually knows
the amount of taxes. Once when I called to ask about the quarterly billed
"franchise fee" and who it was going to, I was told they didn't know and I
would have to ask my franchise contact.

--

Rick C

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general

On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 01:02:54 -0400, "Andy" wrote:

I am aware my news reader does it but have not have the time to change it.

It has very little to do with your newsreader. Regardless of where
the newsreader puts the cursor, you can move it yourself.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general

Ken Blake wrote:
On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 01:02:54 -0400, "Andy" wrote:

I am aware my news reader does it but have not have the time to change it.

It has very little to do with your newsreader. Regardless of where
the newsreader puts the cursor, you can move it yourself.

Outlook Express can use OEQuoteFix. It's possible
that third-party thing can make OE a good citizen.

Paul

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general

I was told it's in my news reader settings ken so ill change it when i get
time

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"Ken Blake" wrote in message
news On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 01:02:54 -0400, "Andy" wrote:

I am aware my news reader does it but have not have the time to change it.

It has very little to do with your newsreader. Regardless of where
the newsreader puts the cursor, you can move it yourself.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general

On 10/10/16 07:33, Andy wrote:
I was told it's in my news reader settings ken so ill change it when i get
time

I'm sorry to read you are "so ill".

If that prevents you from using the down-arrow
key, I hope you get better soon.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general

On 10/10/16 09:42, Andy wrote:
I make mistakes TOM are you prefect?

I tried to convince my daughter I was, but she
didn't believe it.

As a separate point, top-posting and putting the context
(i.e. my response to your previous message) below your
..sig (i.e. after the "--" line) meant that my newsreader
chopped the context when creating this message. Yes, I
could have manually re-inserted it, but I couldn't be
bothered. Another reason top-posting is disliked.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general

On Sun, 09 Oct 2016 21:50:38 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Ken Blake wrote:
On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 01:02:54 -0400, "Andy" wrote:

I am aware my news reader does it but have not have the time to change it.

It has very little to do with your newsreader. Regardless of where
the newsreader puts the cursor, you can move it yourself.

Outlook Express can use OEQuoteFix. It's possible
that third-party thing can make OE a good citizen.

Yes, I know. Back in the days when I used Outlook Express, I used to
use OEQuoteFix.

But my point was that although even though something like OEQuoteFix
can make it easier, it isn't necessary. You can still put your reply
anywhere you want before, after, or within the quoted text.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 02:33:19 -0400, "Andy" wrote:

I was told it's in my news reader settings ken so ill change it when i get
time

Two points:

1. You apparently use Outlook Express, and what you were told is
wrong. There's no way to change where Outlook Express puts the cursor
in a reply.

2. This is a slightly expanded repeat of what I said earlier:
regardless of where Outlook Express, or any other newsreader, puts the
cursor, it's very easy to move it wherever you want it. To bottom
post, simply click at the bottom of the message and the reply cursor
will move there.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general

On 10/10/2016 01:33 AM, Andy wrote:
I was told it's in my news reader settings ken so ill change it when i get
time

One thing I learned quickly the first time I used a a GUI was to select
where typed text would go (click or use the tab key, etc). I didn't
notice the problem with OE (over a decade ago, when I used OE).

--
76 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Have you noticed there are no interesting people in heaven? --Just a
hint to the girls as to where they can find their salvation." [Nietzche,
"The Will to Power"]

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general

rickman wrote:

I have tried to ask about the fees and "taxes" and been told they don't
know, seems the billing computer is the only entity that actually knows
the amount of taxes. Once when I called to ask about the quarterly
billed "franchise fee" and who it was going to, I was told they didn't
know and I would have to ask my franchise contact.

The 'franchise fee' goes to the local government, for their use of
the right ow way.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

Ubee D3.0 cable modem Bob F Electronics Repair 13 October 30th 12 02:02 AM
Cable Modem and TV wiring ls02 Home Repair 23 February 16th 11 04:34 AM
Cable Modem RFI Vey Electronics Repair 8 April 9th 07 01:47 AM
Overheating Cable Modem Johnny Public Electronics Repair 7 March 26th 06 12:26 PM
extending coax cable to cable-modem Rick UK diy 15 February 23rd 05 12:44 PM