Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

Default How to create an EMERGENCY folder on a mobile device (and what toput inside)

On 10/1/2016 2:10 AM, Rod Speed wrote:
John McGaw wrote
Horace Algier wrote

Do you create an EMERGENCY folder on your mobile device (and what do you
put inside)?

Simple answer is: if you've been sensible and put a strong passcode on
your phone then anything in this EMERGENCY folder will be pretty much
useless unless someone manages to break into your phone if they lay hands
on it.

He's actually talking about what he uses himself in emergency situations.

All I do on my Android devices is to enter a 'lock screen message' which
shows my name, mailing address (P.O. Box, not actual street address) and
several emergency contact numbers.

That’s not the sort of emergency he is talking about.

Why a folder? There are multiple 'home' screens available and these
theoretically useful apps can just be placed on, lets say, the last one. As
one thinks of new possibilities they can be placed there and if they later
seem to be of less use they can be removed. I can't actually think of too
many apps that would be useful only in an emergency and only in an
emergency since they come in an infinite number of forms. Personally I keep
a 'daily' screen, a 'news and information' screen, a 'travel' screen, and
an 'entertainment' screen. Guess I could move some stuff around and have
'emergency' one at the end. Just me, I guess...
Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

John McGaw wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John McGaw wrote
Horace Algier wrote

Do you create an EMERGENCY folder on your mobile device (and what do
you put inside)?

Simple answer is: if you've been sensible and put a strong passcode on
your phone then anything in this EMERGENCY folder will be pretty much
useless unless someone manages to break into your phone if they lay
hands on it.

He's actually talking about what he uses himself in emergency situations.

All I do on my Android devices is to enter a 'lock screen message' which
shows my name, mailing address (P.O. Box, not actual street address) and
several emergency contact numbers.

That’s not the sort of emergency he is talking about.

Why a folder?

He's that obsessively anal. He forces his kids to use his folder
arrangements and locks their devices down so they can't change that
stuff. He hasn’t realised that they will be picking his nursing home...

There are multiple 'home' screens available and these theoretically useful
apps can just be placed on, lets say, the last one. As one thinks of new
possibilities they can be placed there and if they later seem to be of
less use they can be removed.

He's too obsessively anal for that.

I can't actually think of too many apps that would be useful only in an
emergency and only in an emergency

Me neither. Tho you can certainly make a case for having
icons for the stuff you do use in an emergency in a single
emergency folder where they are all grouped together and
where you can see them all at once, in a system which allows
duplicate icons for the stuff that is useful in an emergency.

since they come in an infinite number of forms.

Not really that infinite.

Personally I keep a 'daily' screen, a 'news and information' screen, a
'travel' screen, and an 'entertainment' screen.

I don’t myself, I have the one main screen and have a few folders
on that for the groups of stuff like banks and other financial
institutions like credit unions, clouds, shopping etc, basically
so that I do almost everything from that one main screen.

Guess I could move some stuff around and have 'emergency' one at the end.

I think its better to have an emergency folder on
the main screen for those who can get flustered
in an emergency. I don’t, so don’t bother myself.

Just me, I guess...

I'd be surprised if some don’t do it that way too.

That's essentially what he of a thousand names was asking,
who does what, and why do they do it the way they do.

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

Rod Speed wrote:

[Snip]
That's essentially what he of a thousand names was asking,
who does what, and why do they do it the way they do.

No he doesn't. He dresses up an excuse to argue or 'show-off' as a
question. He is never interested in getting other people's opinions unless
they chime with his preconceptions.

Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

Chris wrote
Rod Speed wrote

That's essentially what he of a thousand names was asking,
who does what, and why do they do it the way they do.

No he doesn't.

He did in this case, essentially because he is in an emergency situation
himself.

He dresses up an excuse to argue or 'show-off' as a question.
He is never interested in getting other people's opinions unless
they chime with his preconceptions.

Even sillier than you usually manage.