Michael Caplan

Default Sony KV-2771R, low sound, good picture

This 1986, 27" set (chassis SCC-552U-A) has excellent video but very low
audio when in TV mode (using the RF input). I suspect the IC in the IF
Block, but would appreciate confirmation and information about the IC.

With the volume at maximum, the program audio can be heard on the bench, but
is still far below what is needed in a normal viewing situation.

When using the Video input mode (e.g. signal from a VCR), the sound levels
are normal.

I have the Sams Photofact (2514). The symptoms along with several other
tests the guide describes suggest a fault in the IF Block, IFB-450M.

The DC voltages at the IF block connection to the pcb are close to the
schematic levels except at pin 6 and pin 10. Pin 6 should be 4.3 V but is
2.8 volt and somewhat unsteady (varies several tenths of a volt) and pin 10,
the MPX out, should be 3.5 V but is 0.7 V. Both pins go directly to the IC
inside, a Sony 20014X.

I've checked the solder joints in the IF block, especially at the coils and
at the pcb to case grounds, and have touched up any that looked doubtful.
I've also pulled the tuner and checked it for bad joints, to no avail.
(This set does not have the problematic stereo board with the bad SM caps so
that is not a factor.)

The IF Block , p/n 1-464-598-11, is quite expensive. However, I found a
cross-reference for the IC itself, labelling it as a CX20014A, which, if
this is the correct part, is available at much more reasonable cost (p/n
8-752-050-08). But I have not been able to find a data sheet for the
CX20014A that would confirm it is the same as the 20014A in this set.

Google did not come up with anything on this model/chassis.

Has anyone had experience with audio problems caused by a failed IF block
IC? If so, have you replaced the IC and can you confirm that the part
number above for the IC applies to the IC in the IF Block of this KV-2771R.

Michael Caplan C.E.T.

David

We have never had a single one of those ic's bad.
Lots of bad coils however.
Did you try checking the IF and adjustments by inserting a known good IF
signal into the set?
David

Michael Caplan wrote in message
[...]

Michael Caplan

I did check the three coils for continuity and reactance (presence of, not
value). Unfortunately I'm not equipped for IF inject.

What were the problems with the coils themselves? Would a defective coil
result in the low voltage at pin 10?

I though the low voltage at pin 10 of the IF Block would be indicative of an
internal failure of the IC, but I guess it could also be a switched voltage
depending on the presence of MPX. According to the Sams, if when injecting
an audio signal at pin 10 of the Block one sees (scope) the audio at pin 9,
the Block is defective. That is the case here, but I appreciate that does
not mean that it has to be the IC itself. Wish I had a data sheet for the
IC.

Michael

"David" wrote in message
We have never had a single one of those ic's bad.
Lots of bad coils however.
Did you try checking the IF and adjustments by inserting a known good IF
signal into the set?
David

Michael Caplan wrote in message
This 1986, 27" set (chassis SCC-552U-A) has excellent video but very low
audio when in TV mode (using the RF input). I suspect the IC in the IF
Block, but would appreciate confirmation and information about the IC.

.. . .
I have the Sams Photofact (2514). The symptoms along with several other
tests the guide describes suggest a fault in the IF Block, IFB-450M.

The DC voltages at the IF block connection to the pcb are close to the
schematic levels except at pin 6 and pin 10. Pin 6 should be 4.3 V but

is
2.8 volt and somewhat unsteady (varies several tenths of a volt) and pin

10,
the MPX out, should be 3.5 V but is 0.7 V. Both pins go directly to the

IC
inside, a Sony 20014X.

.. . . .
Has anyone had experience with audio problems caused by a failed IF

block
IC? If so, have you replaced the IC and can you confirm that the part
number above for the IC applies to the IC in the IF Block of this

KV-2771R.

Michael Caplan C.E.T.

Shoreline Electronics

The tips database only shows that IC as being faulty for these
problems....ya never know though!

Text pasted from WinSTIPS 2.0
http://www.ServiceSoftware.com

SONY KV13TR10

Agc Wrong And Not Adjustable

John Kincaid Sos Tv

Ic In If Block Cx20014a On Ic Sony # 8-752-050-08 $12

SONY KV1926

Agc Wrong And Not Adjustable

John Kincaid Sos Tv

Ic In If Block Cx20014a On Ic Sony # 8-752-050-08 $12

Jeff Stielau
Shoreline Electronics Repair
344 East Main Street
Clinton,CT 06413
860-399-1861
860-664-3535 (fax)

"If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
Fudd's First Law of Opposition - Sir Sidney Fudd