B. W. Salt.

Default Sanyo microwave oven

I have this Sanyo microwave oven which produces no heat. Controls all
work; fan works, etc. No fuses blown (that I can find).

What can I check, please?

It's model EM-G471EUK, microwave and grill.

Thanks.
Jerry G.

This can be from no high voltage, the magnetron may have failed, the
magnetron may not be activating for some reason.

Microwave ovens are very dangerous to work on, if you are not properly
trained and equipped. The high voltages and high currents used can be
lethal. When working on these, if the proper care is not taken if specific
parts are replaced, there is a possibility of strong RF radiation leakage.
After critical parts replacements are performed the tech is supposed to take
readings for leakage during the test operation.

It is strongly recommended that you get the oven properly serviced.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"B. W. Salt." wrote in message
nk.co.uk...

I have this Sanyo microwave oven which produces no heat. Controls all
work; fan works, etc. No fuses blown (that I can find).

What can I check, please?

It's model EM-G471EUK, microwave and grill.

Thanks.

James Sweet

"B. W. Salt." wrote in message
nk.co.uk...

I have this Sanyo microwave oven which produces no heat. Controls all
work; fan works, etc. No fuses blown (that I can find).

What can I check, please?

It's model EM-G471EUK, microwave and grill.

Thanks.

Can you hear the hum of the power transformer? Try setting it to defrost
with a cup of water in it, unless it's one of the newer inverter powered
units you should be able to hear the transformer cycle on and off. If you
don't then it's likely a solder joint, or the relay or triac on the control
board. Keep in mind microwave ovens are *extremely* dangerous to work on if
you don't know what you're doing, I'd lick a live board in a TV set before
I'd randomly reach into an operating microwave.

Sam Goldwasser

See the Microwave Oven Repair guide at

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm

and then decide. What Jerry says about safety cannot be overemphasized.
Microwave ovens are the most lethal home appliance for servicing.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

"Jerry G." writes:

This can be from no high voltage, the magnetron may have failed, the
magnetron may not be activating for some reason.

Microwave ovens are very dangerous to work on, if you are not properly
trained and equipped. The high voltages and high currents used can be
lethal. When working on these, if the proper care is not taken if specific
parts are replaced, there is a possibility of strong RF radiation leakage.
After critical parts replacements are performed the tech is supposed to take
readings for leakage during the test operation.

It is strongly recommended that you get the oven properly serviced.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"B. W. Salt." wrote in message
nk.co.uk...

I have this Sanyo microwave oven which produces no heat. Controls all
work; fan works, etc. No fuses blown (that I can find).

What can I check, please?

It's model EM-G471EUK, microwave and grill.

Thanks.

LASERandDVDfan

I have this Sanyo microwave oven which produces no heat. Controls all
work; fan works, etc. No fuses blown (that I can find).

What can I check, please?

It's model EM-G471EUK, microwave and grill.

It could be the magnetron, which is the device that emits the radio waves used
to cook the food, or more precisely, excite water particles causing those
particles to create heat from movement friction within the food (no bull!)

You may want to consider your options. You may not be able to source
replacement parts for your microwave, especially a critical part like a
magnetron. Replacing the oven with a new one may be a better way to go. If
the problem was with something like the mains interlock switches, then it would
be feasible to replace the switches and continue using the oven as the switches
are more than likely industry standard parts that can be obtained at a local
appliance repair shop, even with ovens of today.

That's what I did with my old 1981 Panasonic Dimension3 oven when the interlock
switches wore out. I replaced the mains interlock switches on both the top and
bottom door latch holders as well as replacing the plugs on the wiring harness
that connected to the switches as they had burned from heat caused by
resistance in the bad switches.

The safety warnings cannot be overemphasized as microwave ovens are one of the
most hazardous electronic pieces to work on. Improper service can cause
exposure to hazardous levels of microwave frequency radiation. Another hazard
is the mains capacitor, which is capable of storing a charge that is lethal.
Even if the capacitor is configured to self-discharge (a resistor connected
between the leads of the capacitor is a typical configuration), you must always
assume the capacitor is live until you discharge it to a proper ground. -
Reinhart

B. W. Salt.

In article ,
(Sam Goldwasser) wrote:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm

Thanks for the link but I've tried that several times in the last couple
of days. Seems to be off-line. Message 'Not available'.
Sam Goldwasser

(LASERandDVDfan) writes:

[...]

In many cases, there are generic parts available including the magnetron.

A no heat situation where everything else seems to run could also be
bad connections to the filament of the magnetron, either in the external
wiring or inside the can at the bottom of the magnetron.

That's what I did with my old 1981 Panasonic Dimension3 oven when the interlock
switches wore out. I replaced the mains interlock switches on both the top and
bottom door latch holders as well as replacing the plugs on the wiring harness
that connected to the switches as they had burned from heat caused by
resistance in the bad switches.

The safety warnings cannot be overemphasized as microwave ovens are one of the
most hazardous electronic pieces to work on. Improper service can cause
exposure to hazardous levels of microwave frequency radiation. Another hazard
is the mains capacitor, which is capable of storing a charge that is lethal.

Mains capacitor? What mains capacitor? Do you mean the high voltage
capacitor?

Even if the capacitor is configured to self-discharge (a resistor connected
between the leads of the capacitor is a typical configuration), you must always
assume the capacitor is live until you discharge it to a proper ground. -
Reinhart

Yes, In fact, with a no heat situation, the HV capacitor may end up being
charged to a much higher voltage when the oven is switched off!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:
http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Sam Goldwasser

(B. W. Salt.) writes:

In article ,

(Sam Goldwasser) wrote:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm

Thanks for the link but I've tried that several times in the last couple
of days. Seems to be off-line. Message 'Not available'.

Check with your ISP, your sysadmin, or you local configuration. It's been
fine as far as I know and I just double checked. Mirror sites at:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/micfaq.htm
http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/sam/micfaq.htm

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

B. W. Salt.

In article ,
(Sam Goldwasser) wrote:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/micfaq.htm
http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/sam/micfaq.htm

No problem with the mirror sites, thanks.