Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default My Sanyo portable model, VCR 7300, needs the loading

My Sanyo portable model, VCR 7300, needs the loading mechanism fixed & the
tape head cleaned.

My SonyBETA model 2700-B, needs the tape head cleaned, and the backup program
battery replaced, and the video board replaced (my guess).
The tapes in the SONY load and play, but only the audio works. The last time
I used it, the RCA vidio output went "grainy" and stopped displaying.

Do you repair these units or can you refer me to a company that does?

Thank you.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Where are you geographically ? You could be in Timbuktu for all we know. Shipping stuff like this is an iffy thing.

Even if you brought it here, getting parts is even worse.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jurb, Adrian:

Why you treating the guy that way? He sounds like he
has a legitimate equipment problem.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

responding to
http://www.electrondepot.com/repair/...ng-165907-.htm

--
Thank you "thekmanrocks" for your support.

I spent thousands of dollars on these 2 Beta HiFi VCRs in the early to mid
1980's, as I mentioned in my posted question.

Back then, a US dollar was worth more than it is today.

I also purchased a Sony Model 5200 back then, which I gave to my wife's
girlfriend and husband because their unit failed too.

My current goal is transfer the multiple tapes of movies I have in my
possession in beta format into DVD, or Blue Ray disks, via my new PC Blue Ray
burner drive.

My intent was not to disrupt the delicate sensibilities of the people who use
this forum.

Just searching the WWW for any company who could assist me.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

s.com:

, Stephen wrote:
thekmanrocks wrote:

jurb, Adrian:

Why you treating the guy that way? He sounds like he
has a legitimate equipment problem.

--
Thank you "thekmanrocks" for your support.

I spent thousands of dollars on these 2 Beta HiFi VCRs in the early to mid
1980's, as I mentioned in my posted question.

Back then, a US dollar was worth more than it is today.

I also purchased a Sony Model 5200 back then, which I gave to my wife's
girlfriend and husband because their unit failed too.

My current goal is transfer the multiple tapes of movies I have in my
possession in beta format into DVD, or Blue Ray disks, via my new PC Blue Ray
burner drive.

My intent was not to disrupt the delicate sensibilities of the people who use
this forum.

Just searching the WWW for any company who could assist me.

One of them asked a perfectly good question, to which you still haven't
answered.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Where are you geographically ? I don't know what that other dude is talking about with this "why are you treating him this way ?". It is a legitimate question.

Let me tell you some true ****. I am in Cleveland, Ohio and I fixed a stereo for a guy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It was a kinda heavy bulky thing and cost $300 round trip on UPS, AND THEY ****ED IT UP. And in an insidious way that would be so hard to prove. So he gets ahold of me and we talk, he emails video of what its doing and pictures of a part that fell out and then we met, pretty much at the state line. Little bar off the pike and can whet your whistle a bit.

Bottom line, if you want to ship two betamaxes it is not likely to be cheap.. And if you need belts, let's just say the days of the five buck belt kits are over.

If the Sanyo has the mech I think it has it will need a super small belt and probably idler. I would guess they are not that great of a deck, but if the heads are good they are worth fixing if you can get the parts. And of course now there are 3D printers if you peel off enough green. Actually you have to glue the thing together and they have to go in a program like Solidworks or something and fix it. THEN it gets sent to the 3D printer without the line in it from where the glue was. And you have to learn this software, it doesn't just do it automatically. Friend of mine does something similar and figures he should be able to do it with the software on his PC, which is Rhino, which is supposedly better than Solidworks.

But they got a specific file type for that. I forgot the extension but it is kinda standardised.

Now, this (SL)2700. That is a hifi deck correct ? By that time I do believe their mech used that much coveted reel motor assembly that allowed them to go into reverse immediately. If your reel drive runs off of your capstan motor you need a tape slack pickup routine every time the customer pushes reverse search. With a separate rell motor that is not a problem.

Problem is something started happening to those motors and they started pulling alot of current. And back then $70 for the motor itself, and the is net dealer price.

You knew by this one transistor failing time and time again. The only thing you could do now is to modify it to supply the current. But in time, how long will the motor take it and how long will the power supply supply it ?

No matter what this is not going to be cheap.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 8:37:07 PM UTC-7, Stephen wrote:
My Sanyo portable model, VCR 7300, needs the loading mechanism fixed & the
tape head cleaned.

My SonyBETA model 2700-B, needs the tape head cleaned, and the backup program
battery replaced, and the video board replaced (my guess).
The tapes in the SONY load and play, but only the audio works. The last time
I used it, the RCA vidio output went "grainy" and stopped displaying.

Do you repair these units or can you refer me to a company that does?

I fix broadcast VTRs
Thank you.

--

I fix broadcast VTRs and when I needed a Beta to transfer some old digital
audio tapes (using a PCM-701) I bought a 'new' one on eBay which works fine..

That Beta (SL-HF-300 IIRC) is sitting near my bench at work. I should put it on eBay again since it's fine and I don't need it.

G²
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

responding to
http://www.electrondepot.com/repair/...ng-165907-.htm
, Stephen wrote:
This will be my last posting on this forum. I'm
sure this will make a lot of folks happy.

Thank you "jurb6006", for your follow-up
and elaborate detailed response to my inquire.

Also, "jurb6006", congratulations to
your Cleveland Cavaliers on winning this year's
NBA championship.

Congratulations to your city by hosting the
Republican Convention without any major incidents.

Congratulations to your city hosting the Rock n'
Roll hall of fame for many years, although I think
Jan Warner, owner of Rolling Stone magazine, and
other board members, are total pieces of
"S***".

Lot's of bands out there that deserve to be in
there, who are not.

I'm sure your time is important to you, and again,
thank you. Sorry to learn of your experience with
UPS and maybe other shippers in the U.S.

My Beta HiFi devices that need(ed) repair:

Sanyo Portable VCR 7300:
http://www.betamaxcollectors.com/ima...ivcr7300_1.jpg

Also, an interesting YouTube video as well. This
shows the front panel off,to inspect the drum and
video head area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCk9W4R1-gE

Sony SL-2700B:
http://www.betamaxcollectors.com/son...elsl-2700.html
(mine has a black exterior, not silver)

My update as of 08/18/2016:

Got both units playing my old beta tapes again.
Both units have the front/top covers off, sigh . .
..

For the Sony SL-2700B, I now have to push a
plastic capstan roller on the left side for it to
eject my tapes.

For the Sanyo VCR 7300, I have to push the large
white, quarter inch wind and 6 inch diameter
plastic ring assembly, under the tape head and
motor, counter clockwise with my finger, in order
for the tape to load.

Then, to unload the tape, I have to push the same
plastic ring counter clockwise, for the mechanism
to eject the tape.

Unbelievable!!!

Found a link on YouTube which shows how to clean
the Beta tapes heads using printing paper folded
(A4 size) and vcr cleaning solution added to the
paper. Hold it to the tape drums gently, and spin
said drums without damage.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krc49Yw1Moc

Background info:

I'm a retired federal government employee, worked
in the Intel Community for 36 years. Sure, what a
"oxymoron", this term, is these days
now.

Love music (own over 1120 CDs and over 700 LPs in
my collection), 8 Track tapes, Cassettes, LPs,
CDs, Apple downloads, you name it, for over 40
years.

To answer your "burning question", I
live in Stone Ridge Virginia, Loudoun County
Virginia. Aprox 25 miles west of Washington D.C.

This forum has turned out to be not my only
Internet resource.

I now have, in just in the last 2 days, I think,
reliable resources to turn to, besides this one.

But now that I have cleaned the Beta tape heads, I
will be able to archive my tape collection to DVD
and Blue Ray using these devices.

The repairs for these units will take a back seat
for now. Once I've converted my tapes, I'm
thinking about donating the units to the
Smithsonian's Museum.

I received offers of help from the following
companies:

And "For God's Sake", I am in no way
affiliated with the 2 following companies!!!!

After the fact:

Belmont TV:

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA
4723 King Street
Arlington, VA 22206
In business for decades, since 1948.

http://www.belmonttv.com/locations.html

I got a return phone call from them that stated
they would give it a go for a $50 dollar deposit.
The D.C. area has the worst traffic in the
country, but I think I can get there and drop off
the units within a hour.

This, I'm hoping, would avoid the trials and
tribulations of "jurb6006" with
shipping.

I also own, a Pioneer AM/FM stereo tuner receiver
model SX-1280, from 1977 ($700 plus when
purchased), which still works flawlessly. It must
weigh 50 lbs. Imagine shipping cost for that kind
of repair.

Also, this company, MrBetamax

http://www.mrbetamax.com/

An email quote from him:

"Sony and Sanyo service manuals specify that
their Beta VCRs receive maintenance and
reconditioning after every 500 hours of use or
every year, which ever comes first. MisterBetamax
offers this service for $89.00. Reconditioning
includes replacement or restoring of any rubber
tires and belts, replacing or resurfacing of the
pinch roller and capstan plus cleaning and
lubrication of the rotating components. The upper
video drum is resurfaced to ensure smooth tape
travel, reduce friction and to restore its
operational characteristics. All the guides,
tension arm and drive reels are cleaned and
renewed. The tape path is verified and if
alignment is required, it is included with the
reconditioning in most cases. An estimate is
included should any repairs be needed. You will be
contacted by email with a final cost that will
include return shipping. All repairs are on
approval and usually take about two weeks to
complete (not including shipping time and
depending on work flow or parts requirements). A
90 day labor warranty covers any service, 60 days
for parts. If you decide to declined the estimate
then no reconditioning will be performed and only
$49.00 will be charged for the estimate. The
balance of the $89.00 is used to offset return
shipping and any excess is refunded.

To recap: Reconditioning, which includes an
estimate, is $89.00 plus return shipping. If
repairs are declined only is $49.00 is charged for
the estimate, shipping in both cases is
additional.

If interested, get back to me and I?ll send
along my shipping address, packaging instructions
plus some additional helpful information. My Zip
is 29365.

Sincerely,
MisterBetamax"

God bless this dude!

Finally, last part of my post, and final post.

This might leave you all in a incredulous mind
set, or with a good chuckle. Hope so....

All these were installed in my 1981 Honda Accord
LX 3 door hatchback (Hempstead Green in color).
The vehicle got 30 plus miles to a gallon and was
purchased after my first 1977 Honda Accord was
demolished
by a rear end collision, by a drunk 17 year old
female, at the Capitol Center in Landover Maryland
(defunct building now, Capitols hockey team and
"Bullets" basketball teams played
there). I drove there to attend a Outlaws -
Foghat concert, with my sister and two of her
teenage girlfriends.

Honda photo -
http://hondakarma.com/data/attachmen...4584_image.jpg

Not my Honda exactly, owned in Europe, but what I
owned also, color and make and year and design.

I still own the Honda with antique licence plates.
It has a car cover on it now. Needs carburetor
float replaced and possibly a new brake master
cylinder.

Car cassette deck, equalizer (20 watts) and rear
power amp (60 watts), Alpine brand, top of the
line $700 for the cassette, plus a couple of
hundred for the other units.

Radio Shack speakers. Six of them (two embedded in
the front drive and passenger door panels, and
four mounted (had brackets to mount) on a portable
platform (wood design, painted black, 4 feet long
by 8 inches wide, 1/2 inch depth, fabricated by
me) , for safe keeping under the hatchback cover),
plus a radio shack hard wired anti theft device,
with vibration sensors and plunger switch for the
hatch, which would send a pager signal from the
car unit, into my bedroom, if someone tried to
steal the audio equipment.

This alarm saved my stuff on 2 separate occasions.
I had to get a additional door key because the
potential thief broke my passenger side door lock
with a screw driver.

Speakers:
http://www.retrothing.com/2011/06/minimus-speaker.html

Car Alarm System:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Y...ew?usp=sharing

Nakamichi Dual Amp balancer. To adjust audio
playback from the front driver and passenger, to
the back hatch back area. Really cool depending
on when my front windows were open to prevent
noise.

Link:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...71637697046841

Also, power conversion adaptor to change car 12
volt power, to DC 12 voltage, Radio Shack. I used
it to power my Sanyo Portable Beta HiFi, under the
hatch.

Sanyo Beta HiFi VCR with hard wired remote
control, to play Audio Beta tapes - Sony L-750 ,
for up to 4 hours and 30 minutes, in Beta III
playback mode.

Almost CD quality audio thru the Alpine car
system.

Trips from Northern Virginia to Smithtown, Long
Island N.Y, when necessary for weddings etc... and
visits to my Grandmother and our Aunts and Uncles.

Later, a Sony original portable CD player:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discma...50_Discman.JPG

This was mounted, on the 5 gear stick shifter
console, right passenger side, and I used a RCA
audio splitter to tap into the front and rear
audio amplifiers shared by the Sanyo Beta HiFi
VCR.

Anyway, thank you to all who responded. God Bless
you!