to get into the TV's menu functions? I don't think I need the service
menu, just the normal consumer operation menu.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

David October 26th 03 09:10 PM

Magnavox CCR190AT03 - Accessing Menu without the remote

You already know the best answer, buy the correct remote control for that
tv/vcr combo set.

OneForAll might be able to help if you email them with the make and model of
the tv/vcr. Email them with your information and the model number of a
readily available universal they sell. Then wait a few days for a response
to see if they send you the needed extra button codes the universal might
have. It is not real easy, but those codes can be programmed into extra
keys.

I think MCMelectronics sells the oem remotes for those.

David

wrote in message
bal.net...
I'm trying to assist a friend with an old Magnavox CCR190AT03 TV/VCR
combo. Can't receive TV channels (all channels just display blue
background), but can play VCR tapes.

My inclination would be to go into the menu functions to verify the air
vs.cable setting, re-autoprogram the channels, etc.; however the
original remote control has been lost so I can't use it to access the
menu functions. A generic universal remote works for the on/off and
channel control, but its "menu" key doesn't seem to bring up the menu on
this set. Based on a recommendation from Magnavox' customer support, I
tried accessing the menu by pressing both the channel up/down keys
concurrently and then tried again by pressing the volume up/down keys
concurrently, but those combinations didn't work either.

Is there something else I can try, short of purchasing a new OEM remote,

Ray October 29th 03 01:42 AM

Magnavox CCR190AT03 - Accessing Menu without the remote

The OEM remote for this model is NoLongerAvailable per Magnavox. However,
the set was actually made for Magnavox by Funai. Funai also made sets for
Sears, Sylvania, Hitachi and others, so it may be possible to find a remote
that will work. A check at Sears web site using model #CCR190AT gives remote
P/N 483521837121(NLA) but subs to 483521931133 @ $45.00 plus tax, shipping
and handling.
If you know a Philips/Magnavox distributor, you may be able to get this
remote somewhat cheaper. Magnavox has over 100 on hand.

Hope this helps.
wrote in message
[...]

November 1st 03 04:53 PM

Magnavox CCR190AT03 - Accessing Menu without the remote

David and Ray, Thanks very much for taking the time to respond to my
query. I didn't realize that universal remotes were programmable to the
button level -- perhaps the first step might be to call the manufacturer
of one of the remotes I already have and see if theirs can be programmed
to get the menu button to work.

Since the real problem was not the remote, but rather the need to get
into the TV's setup menu, I was hoping for a way to do that without
purchasing a new remote, but perhaps that's not possible.

Thanks, again, for taking the time to respond!