Posted to sci.electronics.design, sci.electronics.equipment, sci.electronics.repair, alt.engineering.electrical

Default Loose micro USB cables

A new cable works wonderfully. For maybe 6 weeks. Then when I use the Samsung
phone while charging... "Beep-boop, beep-boop€ť, charge indicator on, off,
on, off. Over and over.

Replace cable, all is well.

Rinse, repeat.

Buying a new cable every month is not expensive but also not something one
should have to do.

Yes, I've cleaned out the phone's connector of lint and debris.

I've seen instructions re. fixing the cable connector by bending the tension
pins (external, bottom-side) but there are several types of tensioning
designs; not all are repairable, IME.

Anyone find a long-term fix, or quality cable that avoids this problem
altogether?

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 19:16:48 -0700, DaveC wrote:

A new cable works wonderfully. For maybe 6 weeks. Then when I use the Samsung
phone while charging... "Beep-boop, beep-boop”, charge indicator on, off,
on, off. Over and over.

Replace cable, all is well.

Rinse, repeat.

Buying a new cable every month is not expensive but also not something one
should have to do.

Yes, I've cleaned out the phone's connector of lint and debris.

I've seen instructions re. fixing the cable connector by bending the tension
pins (external, bottom-side) but there are several types of tensioning
designs; not all are repairable, IME.

Anyone find a long-term fix, or quality cable that avoids this problem
altogether?

Thanks.

Maybe the phone connector is damaged. It gets a lot of wear. My phone
has some damaged pins that mangled the mates too. It has
cradle-charging connections on the side, so I use that now.

USB is really mediocre. The polarization is always ambiguous (except
for the ancient B connector), the pins are flimsy, and there are so
many different "universal" connectors.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 19:16:48 -0700, DaveC wrote:

A new cable works wonderfully. For maybe 6 weeks. Then when I use the Samsung
phone while charging... "Beep-boop, beep-boop”, charge indicator on, off,
on, off. Over and over.

It's designed to destroy the cable instead of the connector in your
unspecified model Samsung phone. In previous mini-USB connector was a
problem because it would destroy the connector in the phone which
would be far more expensive than replacing the USB cable. The
improved micro-USB connector destroys the much cheaper USB cable. I
think I pay about $1/ea for cables.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141558130661
You might want to stock up on cables.

These might explain the situation:
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/18552/why-was-mini-usb-deprecated-in-favor-of-micro-usb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Durability

I can't tell from your description why your cables are failing. I
don't think it's the cables as most of them are quite durable. The
connector is rated for 10,000 insertion/removal cycles. If you
plugged and unplugged your phone 4 times per day, that's 2,500 days or
6.8 years.

I occasionally see some problems caused by rubberized phone
"protectors". The charging connector doesn't quite fit through the
rubber case so the user applies brute force to complete the
connection. Sometimes the hole in the case is misaligned with the
phone connector or sometimes the molded plug on the cable is too large
to fit neatly in the hole in the case. If you suspect the case, you
might try a different one, with a larger opening for the charger
connector.

Another problem is arcing. The micro-USB connector system is made to
be hot pluggable/unpluggable. Unfortunately, some phones and chargers
have large capacitors across the output which can pit the gold plated
contacts. The chargers are suppose to start at a low current,
negotiate the maximum current, and then switch to the higher (2A)
charging current. Some cheap chargers go directly to 2A causing the
arcing. Some dirt and crud in the connector can produce a tiny arc.
The problem is that you have to tear the plug apart to see the damage
to the contacts. You might try that on one of your numerous failed
cables. If that seems to be the problem, which I think quite likely,
buy a different and better charger.

http://www.righto.com/2012/03/inside-cheap-phone-charger-and-why-you.html
http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 19:16:48 -0700, DaveC Gave us:

Buying a new cable every month is not expensive but also not something one
should have to do.

The trick is to insert the cable in the phone first, no power, THEN
insert the power supply/charger end.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On 7/4/2016 8:20 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Would be interesting to learn how they estimated that reliability.
If you have a machine that properly aligns the connectors when
plugged, maybe.
When a human plugs it in, rips it out, uses the device while charging
so that the connector gets pulled, pushed, twisted, things can get loose
really fast.

I buy most of my devices used at garage sales. I've never had any
problems with mini-usb connections.
Virtually ALL acquired devices with micro-usb connectors are loose or
intermittent.
I've switched to add-on Qi charge adapters that stay connected permanently
and don't get stressed in use.

On 5 Jul 2016, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

The trick is to insert the cable in the phone first, no power, THEN
insert the power supply/charger end.

How does this make it not loose over time?

On 4 Jul 2016, John Larkin wrote:

Maybe the phone connector is damaged. It gets a lot of wear. My phone
has some damaged pins that mangled the mates too. It has
cradle-charging connections on the side, so I use that now.

I think the fact that for 6 weeks theres no problem eliminates the
possibility that the phone connector is damaged.

Its not the electrical pins, its the robustness of the physical
retention mechanism.

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.design, sci.electronics.equipment, sci.electronics.repair, alt.engineering.electrical

think I pay about $1/ea for cables.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141558130661
You might want to stock up on cables.

All the purdee colors! This is the brand you buy? (looking for a
recommendation not just Google results...)

I can't tell from your description why your cables are failing. I
don't think it's the cables as most of them are quite durable. The
connector is rated for 10,000 insertion/removal cycles. If you
plugged and unplugged your phone 4 times per day, that's 2,500 days or
6.8 years.

Hence my inquiry here.

How often do *you* replace a micro-USB cable, Jeff?
I occasionally see some problems caused by rubberized phone "protectors".

Not using a case or protector.
Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 03:56:56 -0700, mike wrote:

On 7/4/2016 8:20 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
These might explain the situation:
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/18552/why-was-mini-usb-deprecated-in-favor-of-micro-usb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Durability

I can't tell from your description why your cables are failing. I
don't think it's the cables as most of them are quite durable. The
connector is rated for 10,000 insertion/removal cycles. If you
plugged and unplugged your phone 4 times per day, that's 2,500 days or
6.8 years.

Would be interesting to learn how they estimated that reliability.

Durability or reliability? This is old but probably good enough:
http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/devclass_docs/CabConn20.pdf
See Pg 14 under "durability". It references EIA-364-09 for the number
of insertion/extraction cycles.
1500 cycles
5000 cycles for Mini B
10,000 cycles for Micro series
10,000 cycles for ruggedized Standard A
Cycle rate of 500 cycles per hour if done
automatically and 200 if manual cycle.
EIA-364-09 does not specify a specific test fixture (section 2):
http://www.kekaoxing.com/upimg/standard/EIA/EIA-364-09C.pdf
I've seen one in action at a local headset manufacturer. It was
rather boring to watch. Something like this:
http://qctest.sale.fustat.com/pz69bafb9-rotating-eccentric-type-usb-connector-durability-testing-machine-durability-test-equipment.html
but made in house. Mo
http://gizmodo.com/the-r-d-machines-that-push-your-smartphone-til-it-break-1684892168
My guess(tm) is that it could be done properly with just a rotating
crank and piston arrangement instrumented with strain and force
gauges.

If you have a machine that properly aligns the connectors when
plugged, maybe.
When a human plugs it in, rips it out, uses the device while charging
so that the connector gets pulled, pushed, twisted, things can get loose
really fast.

Such tests are usually performed under ideal and controlled
conditions. Unless connector side loading and torque limits are
specified, it's unlikely that anyone tests for those. Presumably, the
metal framework around the micro-USB connector will survive longer
than the mating contacts so direct insertion/extraction testing should
provide an adequate test. However, if you want to test for surviving
various forms of abuse, it will need to be added to the specification.

I buy most of my devices used at garage sales. I've never had any
problems with mini-usb connections.
Virtually ALL acquired devices with micro-usb connectors are loose or
intermittent.

Again, that's intentional. If they were a snug fit, abrasive action
would wear down the connector rather rapidly. There was also some
effort to minimize (not maximize) the retention forces so that it
would disconnect during cord pulling, dropping, and use as a yo-yo.

I've switched to add-on Qi charge adapters that stay connected permanently
and don't get stressed in use.

That's probably the way to go. However, that only solves the charging
problem. There's still all the other stuff that the USB connector is
used for (USB OTG, file transfers, external devices, etc). USB
connectors are unlikely to disappear.

On 4 Jul 2016, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I think I pay about $1/ea for cables.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141558130661

The offer at that link is confusing: it first says €śPrice: US $0.99€ť and
I presume quantity is 1.

Then when you go to the drop-down menus for quantity, you have the choice of
€śX1€ť and €śX2€ť which changes the price to $3.00 and $5.19
respectively.

Huh?

Anyone know whats going on there?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 07:18:47 -0700, DaveC wrote:

think I pay about $1/ea for cables.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141558130661
You might want to stock up on cables.

All the purdee colors! This is the brand you buy? (looking for a
recommendation not just Google results...)

Actually yes, I do buy colored USB cables. They help keep my charging
mess somewhat organized so that I plug the stuff that needs 0.5A into
the tiny chargers, and the stuff that needs 2A into the larger
chargers.

I don't have any recommended brand or supplier. I pass out USB cables
and chargers at my palatial office like they were candy. I could put
a jar of them in place of jelly beans on the desk and have them
disappear in a week. No failures, or at least no complaints for the
cords so far. Big problems with cheap chargers, both AC and
automotive. There's lots of junk out there. I had to run around and
confiscate some 12V chargers I gave away for holiday gifts because
they were a short/smoke/fire hazard.

Incidentally, this is a good USB car charger:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/Powergen%20USB%20car%20charger/Powergen%20USB%20car%20charger.jpg

I can't tell from your description why your cables are failing. I
don't think it's the cables as most of them are quite durable. The
connector is rated for 10,000 insertion/removal cycles. If you
plugged and unplugged your phone 4 times per day, that's 2,500 days or
6.8 years.

Hence my inquiry here.
How often do *you* replace a micro-USB cable, Jeff?

I really don't know but close to zero for any kind of connector
failure. I tend to loose cords, but not destroy them. When I do
repairs, it's mostly replacing the receptacle on the phone, which is
beyond the abilities of most of my customers. For my own equipment, I
usually have 3 chargers per device (office, home, car). Of those that
use micro-USB charging (2 phones, 4 BT headsets, 2 tablets, Kindle), I
have never needed a replacement cable. On some of the junk I buy at
garage sales, flea markets, and from customers, some of them required
replacement, but mostly because they were in some way abused. Teeth
marks from kids and animals are common.

I occasionally see some problems caused by rubberized phone "protectors".

Not using a case or protector.
Thanks.

Some Samsung phones have removable backs that let you inspect the
micro-USB receptacle. If your unspecified model Samsung is like that,
you might check if the two halves of the metal frame have seperated,
thus reducing the retention force and changing the pin alignment.

Also, you might try disclosing the Samsung phone model number.
Different phones tend to have specific problems. Also, are you doing
anything unusual while charging, such as charging the phone while it's
sitting on a car seat while bouncing down the road or anything that
might cause movement of the connector while charging? An excessively
loose connector will make that worse. You might compare your
retention force with a different phone and micro-USB connector pair.

On 5 Jul 2016, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Also, you might try disclosing the Samsung phone model number.

Sam Galaxy S3.

Different phones tend to have specific problems. Also, are you doing
anything unusual while charging, such as charging the phone while it's
sitting on a car seat while bouncing down the road or anything that
might cause movement of the connector while charging? An excessively
loose connector will make that worse. You might compare your
retention force with a different phone and micro-USB connector pair.

I use it while charging, sitting on the couch or lying in bed. The
cable/phone does get moved around. But for 6 weeks this isnt a problem. So
I rule out the phones connector as cause. A new cable fixes the issue.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 07:09:49 -0700, DaveC wrote:

On 4 Jul 2016, John Larkin wrote:

Maybe the phone connector is damaged. It gets a lot of wear. My phone
has some damaged pins that mangled the mates too. It has
cradle-charging connections on the side, so I use that now.

I think the fact that for 6 weeks there’s no problem eliminates the
possibility that the phone connector is damaged.

It’s not the electrical pins, it’s the robustness of the physical
retention mechanism.

Thanks,
Dave

I have cameras and cables that have been mated/unmated maybe 1000
times, no problems. I bet the phone is breaking the cables.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 10:07:31 AM UTC-4, DaveC wrote:
On 5 Jul 2016, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

The trick is to insert the cable in the phone first, no power, THEN
insert the power supply/charger end.

How does this make it not loose over time?

if you have patience n forethought, always connect to Niagara Falls after connecting to the $5000 Alien Detection Equipment.

The power/wall/extesion cord side is way HD than the hapless USB

CRC Electronics cleaner or better from Allied with a silicone afterthought as continuing maintenance is best. Take a good look inside the connectors maybe finding a green one. Poss result from connecting to power then to ADE and/or ambiguous polarity.

Print to ground.

change your brand. Crutch prob has some gold plated
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 3:29:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 10:07:31 AM UTC-4, DaveC wrote:
On 5 Jul 2016, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

The trick is to insert the cable in the phone first, no power, THEN
insert the power supply/charger end.

How does this make it not loose over time?

if you have patience n forethought, always connect to Niagara Falls after connecting to the $5000 Alien Detection Equipment.

The power/wall/extesion cord side is way HD than the hapless USB

CRC Electronics cleaner or better from Allied with a silicone afterthought as continuing maintenance is best. Take a good look inside the connectors maybe finding a green one. Poss result from connecting to power then to ADE and/or ambiguous polarity.

Print to ground.

change your brand. Crutch prob has some gold plated

check your topography

https://goo.gl/TuF5ZN

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

salty air

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 03:56:56 -0700, mike Gave us:

Would be interesting to learn how they estimated that reliability.
If you have a machine that properly aligns the connectors when
plugged, maybe.

The problem is that when it is already under power, which with most
dopey, lazy humans, it already is, it makes little arcs as it connects
and the microinch of Gold goes away and the carbonized conductor... no
longer does.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 07:07:26 -0700, DaveC Gave us:

On 5 Jul 2016, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

The trick is to insert the cable in the phone first, no power, THEN
insert the power supply/charger end.

How does this make it not loose over time?

If it "gets loose over time" it is not the male end that comes with a
new cable, it is the phone end's grounding shroud.

The connection failure is due to loss of the Gold plating and the
carbonization of the contacts.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 07:59:42 -0700, DaveC wrote:

On 4 Jul 2016, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I think I pay about $1/ea for cables.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141558130661

The offer at that link is confusing: it first says “Price: US $0.99” and
I presume quantity is 1.
Then when you go to the drop-down menus for quantity, you have the choice of
“X1” and “X2” which changes the price to $3.00 and $5.19
respectively.
Huh?
Anyone know what’s going on there?

Yeah, it's a bit of a muddle. You have 4 selections to make. Color,
Qty 1x or 2x, Model, and Quantity.

If you pick (for example) white, 1x qty, and for your Samsung Galaxy
S3, and one item, the price is $3.99 for one cable which is a bit
high. If you pick Quantity (4th choice) at 10 pcs, you get a straight
multiplication without discount of $39.90 for 10 cables, also high.
However, if you pick the 10 color assortment, the total price is
$16.99 or less than half price.

Not very clever because there's no way to get a discount price for 10
cables of a single color. Just play with it and keep track of the
total price. Or, find another vendor.

I prefer flat cables, but the same vendor offers a round braided
cabled:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141408686649
and in different lengths. If you don't like braided cables, there are
thinner cables available:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201498237735
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331385416604
Look around and you'll find them in flat cable, round cable, with LED
lights, glow in the dark cable, coiled cords, etc. Whatever you buy,
get an assortment. Also, buy a different charger, which I think is
causing the problem.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 08:17:52 -0700, DaveC wrote:

On 5 Jul 2016, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Also, you might try disclosing the Samsung phone model number.

Sam Galaxy S3.

Thanks. I found no history of the S3 destroying connectors.

Different phones tend to have specific problems. Also, are you doing
anything unusual while charging, such as charging the phone while it's
sitting on a car seat while bouncing down the road or anything that
might cause movement of the connector while charging? An excessively
loose connector will make that worse. You might compare your
retention force with a different phone and micro-USB connector pair.

I use it while charging, sitting on the couch or lying in bed. The
cable/phone does get moved around. But for 6 weeks this isn’t a problem. So
I rule out the phone’s connector as cause. A new cable fixes the issue.

While that's some movement while charging, it's probably not enough to
arc over the contacts. Still, if the receptacle is loose, and you're
getting an intermittent connection, it might do some arcing. Any
evidence of an intermittent connection on the battery meter or monitor
program?

Hmmmm... Is you charging cable very thin (small diameter)? At 2A,
tinsel and ultra fine wire cables can easily turn into fuses. Any
chance your cable failures are fused wire failures instead of
connector failures?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 6:29:35 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

no expert but replaced S5 cable was male loose. A pin was loose....visual.....then pin fell off. Amazon.

the S5 end PUSH BUTTON lighted is handy.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 19:16:48 -0700, DaveC wrote:

A new cable works wonderfully. For maybe 6 weeks. Then when I use the Samsung
phone while charging... "Beep-boop, beep-boop”, charge indicator on, off,
on, off. Over and over.

Why charge when you're using the phone? About the only times I use
the USB cable is charging in the car (while navigating) or as a
hotspot link. Qi works great on my Samsung phone (*much* better than
the Moto it replaced).

Posted to sci.electronics.design, sci.electronics.equipment, sci.electronics.repair, alt.engineering.electrical

On 5 Jul 2016, Jeff Liebermann writ:

While that's some movement while charging, it's probably not enough to
arc over the contacts. Still, if the receptacle is loose, and you're
getting an intermittent connection, it might do some arcing. Any
evidence of an intermittent connection on the battery meter or monitor
program?

Well, thats the symptom that drives my search for the cause. Suddenly no
charge indicator. Then I move the cable, €śbeep-boop€ť the indicator shows
charging. Is this a case of chicken or egg?
Hmmmm... Is you charging cable very thin (small diameter)? At 2A,
tinsel and ultra fine wire cables can easily turn into fuses. Any
chance your cable failures are fused wire failures instead of
connector failures?

Never go for those thin ones. Always fat (5mm?) ones.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 23:40:27 -0700, DaveC wrote:

On 5 Jul 2016, Jeff Liebermann writ:

While that's some movement while charging, it's probably not enough to
arc over the contacts. Still, if the receptacle is loose, and you're
getting an intermittent connection, it might do some arcing. Any
evidence of an intermittent connection on the battery meter or monitor
program?

Well, that’s the symptom that drives my search for the cause. Suddenly no
charge indicator. Then I move the cable, “beep-boop” the indicator shows
charging. Is this a case of chicken or egg?

Omelette perhaps? When you wiggle the cable, I can't tell from here
whether you have a broken wire inside the molded connector, or you
have a contact connection problem. Hold the phone and connector in
one hand so that the connector doesn't move. Then, wiggle the cable
and see if it's still intermittent. That should separate the
potential causes.

Also, if it's that bad, I would tear apart the phone and visually
inspect the connector. Same with using a magnifier to inspect the
contacts from outside the phone. Might as well run a stiff
non-conductive brush through the receptacle while you're at it. Pocket
lint tends to be the same dark color as the connector insulation and
is difficult to see. I've seen phones that I swear looked clean when
I looked inside with a magnifier, yet had an accumulation of lint at
the bottom of the connector which was preventing the connector from
seating properly.

Hmmmm... Is you charging cable very thin (small diameter)? At 2A,
tinsel and ultra fine wire cables can easily turn into fuses. Any
chance your cable failures are fused wire failures instead of
connector failures?

Never go for those thin ones. Always fat (5mm?) ones.

So much for that idea. I've seen a few cables that are mostly
insulation with very little copper. Maybe tear apart one of the
cables that had previously failed.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
SMS SMS is offline

On 7/4/2016 7:16 PM, DaveC wrote:
A new cable works wonderfully. For maybe 6 weeks. Then when I use the Samsung
phone while charging... "Beep-boop, beep-boop€ť, charge indicator on, off,
on, off. Over and over.

Replace cable, all is well.

Rinse, repeat.

Buying a new cable every month is not expensive but also not something one
should have to do.

Yes, I've cleaned out the phone's connector of lint and debris.

I've seen instructions re. fixing the cable connector by bending the tension
pins (external, bottom-side) but there are several types of tensioning
designs; not all are repairable, IME.

Anyone find a long-term fix, or quality cable that avoids this problem
altogether?

The highest quality cables I've found are the Fujitsu cables.
Unfortunately they are quite expensive, $1.80 each if you buy a lot of
10, once you pay shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182181176364

These are pretty large diameter cables because they use AWG 22 wire. The
sub-$1 cables use either all AWG 28, or use AWG 28 for D+ and D-, and
AWG 26 for power and ground.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On 7/6/2016 12:16 PM, sms wrote:
On 7/4/2016 7:16 PM, DaveC wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the link.
The large plastic on the small end may mean that they're less
susceptible to being torqued sideways in the socket.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 06 Jul 2016 12:58:41 -0700, mike Gave us:

On 7/6/2016 12:16 PM, sms wrote:
On 7/4/2016 7:16 PM, DaveC wrote:
[...]

You guys are silly. Cranking on the cable doesn't damage the 'male'
cable, it damages the shroud of the socket you have it in.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On 7/6/2016 12:16 PM, sms wrote:
On 7/4/2016 7:16 PM, DaveC wrote:
[...]

Indeed. It's my contention that the socket is the problem.
Cable plug is easily replaced. Bent/distorted/mangled socket is not.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 7/6/2016 12:16 PM, sms wrote:
On 7/4/2016 7:16 PM, DaveC wrote:
[...]

The pins on the cheap cables lose their springiness and no longer
contact the contacts in the female socket in the phone. It's a good
design since replacement cables are pretty cheap, but changing the
socket on the phone is expensive.

I've found that the 79˘ Micro USB cables, i.e.
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4867 are significantly poorer
quality than the $1.80 22 AWG cables that I bought. Plus if you're
charging a high current Micro USB device, using a high-current charger,
you need the better cables, though the 26/24 are also fine.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Wed, 06 Jul 2016 08:12:36 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Might as well run a stiff
non-conductive brush through the receptacle while you're at it. Pocket
lint tends to be the same dark color as the connector insulation and
is difficult to see. I've seen phones that I swear looked clean when
I looked inside with a magnifier, yet had an accumulation of lint at
the bottom of the connector which was preventing the connector from
seating properly.

Here's a YouTube video showing the pocket lint in the connector
problem and cleaning procedu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6p0Eg-yq3A

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.design, sci.electronics.equipment, sci.electronics.repair, alt.engineering.electrical

On 6 Jul 2016, Jeff Liebermann writ:

Here's a YouTube video showing the pocket lint in the connector
problem and cleaning procedu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6p0Eg-yq3A

Appreciate the pointer Jeff; thats the first thing I did. Didnt change
the symptom Ive reported here.

Cheers.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

[...]

Dollar Tree stores have recently started selling the flat cables for
$1 plus sales tax, and in a half dozen colors. There are a half dozen of
their stores in my area.

PCB Micro drills and micro end mills" Ignoramus10035 Metalworking 11 September 27th 10 01:07 AM
Extending multiple BX cables: with multiple bx cables or multiple wires in greenfield? Existential Angst Home Repair 13 November 14th 09 04:58 PM
Loose M&T John Woodworking 7 June 30th 09 09:41 PM
can I make long cables, other than co-ax cables mm Electronics Repair 9 April 13th 08 01:52 AM
Oh no, did I loose my LCD? Leonardo Electronics Repair 1 March 4th 05 06:07 PM