Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Newer PCs And Acrobat Reader And A Bit Of A Rant

OK first have a laugh. My PC at work has a touch screen, not that I ever use it. Normally it shuts down after do many minutes, but today there was a fly there and when it landed on the screen it turned it back on.

But my question is about Acrobat reader. The newer versions, some asshole decided to make the hand cursor change to the select mode after a few seconds. In every other $%&*& of that SOB I have been able to find the setting to turn that "feature" off. This thing is Win 10 and running the newest version of Acrobat Reader. Unfortunately it is a gun free zone, the proprietor o a business has the right to make it illegal to bring guns in, otherwise I would consider shooting the damn thing.

Joking of course, I would not willfully destroy someone else's property.

They took it away a while back, supposedly to upgrade it. It had some strange ass PDF viewer on it that just hung when I tried to view a file so I had to get the reader. Acrobat Reader DC I think.

I have been having trouble finding old versions of programs these days. For example I would like Firefox 23. Oh, and let's not even go into what I can't find in the new version of that, which is what I run at work.

Another thing is that with all the wires strung all over the bench I would rather have a tower than a laptop. Last job, something I carried off the bench caught a wire and pulled the laptop off the bench and broke the screen. They didn't really care, it was an old XP machine and wasn't all that fancy. Of course by the time I got to it it had viruses and the homepage had been hijacked. In fact on work PCs I just put Google into the bookmarks now, screw a homepage.

All I need is to be able to find, download and view PDFs almost exclusively.. In fact most of the time from now on if I have to post a question here or on another forum I intend to do that on their time. Bout time I make an email address for that in fact.

All in all though, I do have to admit that it seems like Win 10 is better than Win 8. I have found it easier to find certain things. For example I can't believe how slow most mouses are. (is it mice in this particular instance of use ?) There is limited space in my world so I want the mouse as fast as possible. The setting was moved around but I found it. On their time.

Why the hell couldn't they have just converted Win98SE to NTFS, cleared the 130GB limit, put in UAC and left the rest of it alone ? Just charge for the updates. There are a bunch of things I have not yet tried in Win 10, and I almost don't want to because I know I am going to find something that you just can't do anymore. But you can probably keep up with your twits. Can you direct text to a phone from a PC ? If not, they are really ****ing this **** up. I know you can email, but a real time text ?

Anyway, I am going to have a few beers and get ready for the flames, commentary and whatnot. Hopefully someone knows how to get rid of that totally annoying "feature" in Acrobat Reader. Before I just take the thing home and shoot it in the backyard.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

W dniu piątek, 17 czerwca 2016 01:41:53 UTC+2 użytkownik napisał:
All I need is to be able to find, download and view PDFs almost exclusively. In fact most of the time from now on if I have to post a question here or on another forum I intend to do that on their time. Bout time I make an email address for that in fact.

I just use Evince, it's theoretically document viewer for Gnome desktop
environment but Windows version works just fine. It's lightweight, opens
PDFs, Postscripts and so on without a problem and it's open source so no
nagging to buy premium version, spyware or joy of finding right download
site (or right button, not one that's really part of some ad) that
doesn't want to use their own "downloader" to load crap into your
computer like typical windows free desktop app. Works on
Windows XP onwards.

Best regards,
--
Karol Piotrowski
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

We're using W10 at home, but it's not demanding use, mostly my wife checking Facebook and email.

My only complaint was that a DVD wouldn't play. Apparently it's a known bug. There may be a workaround but I installed VLC and that works fine.

Also, when it goes to powersave it disconnects the wifi, and you have to manually reconnect. There's probably a fix for that I haven't found, but really it's no trouble to click the button again.