Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Pioneer SX-980 mode switch problem

Hi Folks,

I bought a refurnished Pioneer SX-980 in pretty sweet condition BUT I have an issue with getting my left channel speaker to work. If I wiggle or tap on the Mode switch for the mono/stereo, it will work for a while. If I flip to mono, I get the left speaker to work, if I flip to stereo, it goes off but if I leave it in stereo and wiggle or tap the switch, it comes on. What do you think I need to fix this? A new switch? I don't know what model it is to replace or how difficult.

Any help is appreciated. When it's working, it's sounds amazing!

Thanks,
Bill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bad solder on the board. The stereo/mono switch almost never interrupts the signal, it only connect left and right together.

Use your noggin, look at the print or take to someone who knows what they're doing before you fry it out and own a piece of scrap.

Your problem is more likely in the tape monitor switch(es) if it is dirty switches.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sjouke Burry" wrote in message
On 12.06.16 3:06, wrote:
Hi Folks,

I bought a refurnished Pioneer SX-980 in pretty sweet condition BUT I
have an issue with getting my left channel speaker to work. If I wiggle
or tap on the Mode switch for the mono/stereo, it will work for a while.
If I flip to mono, I get the left speaker to work, if I flip to stereo,
it goes off but if I leave it in stereo and wiggle or tap the switch, it
comes on. What do you think I need to fix this? A new switch? I don't
know what model it is to replace or how difficult.

Any help is appreciated. When it's working, it's sounds amazing!

Thanks,
Bill

A new switch or the old switch taken apart and repaired.

The stereo - mono mode switch on this model is a simple lever switch which
internally has moving contacts which slide at 90 degrees to the front panel.

This particular switch can can cleaned from the front without any
disassembly. One takes the cleaner (like CAIG De-Oxit) and, using the
extension tube and the nozzle set to the lightest stream, a couple small
bursts sprayed in under the lever towards the rear of the unit. It helps to
have the front of the receiver lifted up at a bit of an angle to help the
cleaner better reach the affected contacts.
After the cleaner is sprayed in, move the switch up and down at least 10 to
20 times to wipe the contacts.

The person who refurbished this piece might not have cleaned all the
controls - many of them are difficult to reach - or maybe the guy just
wasn't that good. Some guys are all about "re-capping" and know little
ablout how these things actually work. For example: I don't consider a 40
year old amp or receiver "refurbished" if the person doing the work has not
attended to the speaker relay, to replace it or at least (carefully) clean
the contacts.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12.06.16 3:06, wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot Mark!
I bought some Deoxit and glad I'll be able to reach without disassembly. Great info!

Thanks to all for the feedback.
Cheap routes first.