Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What's wrong with computer speaker?

I have a pair of computer speakers and the left? one, the one not
directly connected to the computer, makes no sound.

The wire must be good because its LED goes on. I finally got it apart
(it was glued together) and it has very few parts. The speaker
measures 4 ohms and all that leaves is the wires, the tiny pcb, the
LED and one 1000uF 16v cap. It seems that all the sound goes through
that, is that right? So it could be the problem that it's open.

How come a cap is needed? To protect the sound card? 4 ohms is not
enough to protect it? Speakers can short?

I replaced the good speaker with old NIB Jensens at least as big, but
I think the sound is worse with stereo speakers than it was with one
speaker. Maybe I'm imagining it, but if I fix the 2nd speaker I can
find out if I am or not. The old ones are Harmon Kardon and the
speaker is only 2 or 2 1/4" but the magnet is really heavy.

Thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Wires, alwayx wires.

The indirect speaker is just a "passive" box with a speaker.

Maybe speaker's winding is broken (still wire ! )

Micky a écrit :
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 09:55:09 +0200, Look165
wrote:

Wires, alwayx wires.

The indirect speaker is just a "passive" box with a speaker.

Maybe speaker's winding is broken (still wire ! )

The speaker shows 4 ohms.
The LED on the (plastic) cabinet goes on, powered by the other
speaker.
The only other wires are the traces on the circuit board and 2"
wires that never move from the pcb to the speaker.

But if it's not possible for the capacitor to be causing this problem,
I'll look at the pcb and short wires too.

It's not my imagination, is it, that all the sound goes through the
1000uF cap?

The speakers were upstairs when I took the computer to the basement to
repair it, and they weren't used for a couple years.

Micky a écrit :
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Correct, the sound goes through the capacitor. It seems the amplifier sends a DC voltage to light up the led together with the audio signal. So if the led shines the wire is fine and the sound may be lost.in the capacitor. Make sure you are sending an audio signal into the silent channel.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Combo answer to you and Ralph

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 15:23:32 -0700 (PDT), Jeroni Paul
wrote:

Correct, the sound goes through the capacitor. It seems the amplifier sends a DC voltage to light up the led together with the audio signal. So if the led shines the wire is fine and the sound may be lost.in the capacitor.

Great. I'll replace it. Easy enough.

16volts 1000uF, I suppose the bag of caps in the basement for the last
30 years are too old to use???? If so I'll buy a new one.

Make sure you are sending an audio signal into the silent channel.

The sound card has both channels because I changed speakers and sound
comes out of both now.

That still leaves the possibility that something about the first-pair
speaker that works broke and it didn't pass the sound on to the other
one. They use different channels of the same amplifier.

But it was hard** to open the speaker, so I'll do the cap first.

**A friend wanted just one speaker, to put in his kitchen, with a wire
through the wall from the next room -- Yes, I suggested wireless
speakers but he wasn't interested -- I don't know if the stereo issue
has occurred to him, but he insisted one speaker***. So I'm giving
him the one that works, and if I fix the other one, I'll offer it to
him too. Back to opening the speaker: took out the two screws in
the back, scraped off the label in back but couldn't find another.
Tried to take off the speaker grill but it wouldn't come. A couple
days later, tried harder and broke two of the 4 plastic pegs that held
it in. Then I see that those two were glued in. Maybe it was falling
off, or maybe they're glued in at the factory. So I really don't
want to mess with the speaker that's still working, esp. since he
wants only one.

***So whether he knows he needs it or not, I've been looking for
software that will play a webstream and convert stereo to monaural. I
found one or two, so to test, I dl'd an MP3 of a train going from left
to right and back again. Sadly, on my system even in stereo it
doesn't sound like stereo. I have to work on that!

Thanks, both of you.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Correct, the sound goes through the capacitor. It seems the amplifier sends a DC voltage to light up the led together with the audio signal. So if the led shines the wire is fine and the sound may be lost.in the capacitor.

Great. I'll replace it. Easy enough.

16volts 1000uF, I suppose the bag of caps in the basement for the last
30 years are too old to use???? If so I'll buy a new one.

Somewhat interesting stories here, including one guy who had never
soldered anything, but replaced 2 caps and made his tv work. He had
to buy a soldering iron. He watched videos first.

http://www.amazon.com/1000uf-Capacit...0&pageNumber=1
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 5:10:12 PM UTC-7, Micky wrote:

[about a suspect capacitor] I'll replace it. Easy enough.

16volts 1000uF, I suppose the bag of caps in the basement for the last
30 years are too old to use???? If so I'll buy a new one.

If you have a suitable (15VDC, but 10V or 24V would work, too) power source,
clip it onto a few old capacitors overnight. The next morning, unclip 'em,
wait a few seconds, and any that make your voltmeter jump, are good to use.

Even if an old electrolytic doesn't meet its original specs after storage, it DOES
heal if you give it a voltage bias. I've done it in minutes with overvoltage
and a heat gun, but overnight at room temperature is good enough. The capacitor needs applied
voltage and time to re-form its oxide layer.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 11:25:48 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 5:10:12 PM UTC-7, Micky wrote:

[about a suspect capacitor] I'll replace it. Easy enough.

16volts 1000uF, I suppose the bag of caps in the basement for the last
30 years are too old to use???? If so I'll buy a new one.

If you have a suitable (15VDC, but 10V or 24V would work, too) power source,

The adapter for my laptop is 17v or thereabouts. I presume the
negative side goes to the negative on the capacitor?

clip it onto a few old capacitors overnight. The next morning, unclip 'em,
wait a few seconds, and any that make your voltmeter jump, are good to use.

Even if an old electrolytic doesn't meet its original specs after storage, it DOES
heal if you give it a voltage bias. I've done it in minutes with overvoltage
and a heat gun, but overnight at room temperature is good enough. The capacitor needs applied
voltage and time to re-form its oxide layer.

All very good, thank you. a) one cap is expensive by mail, plus
the postage. (Time is not much of a factor anymore. Mail order is a
lot faster than 50 years ago.) b) There was no point to saving
these capacitors if I can't use them anymore. c) There is only
one store in Baltimore that woudl have this and they fairly far away
and expensive. Hmm. Radio Shack is still in business, sort of. (They
used to have the best webpage, that said everything a specific store
had and how many of them. When I bought one, the number on the web
went down.) Well they sell the part but I've waited 10 minutes and
"Find in Store" never loads.

But I'll start with what I already have.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Correct, the sound goes through the capacitor. It seems the amplifier sends a DC voltage to light up the led together with the audio signal. So if the led shines the wire is fine and the sound may be lost.in the capacitor.

Great. I'll replace it. Easy enough.

16volts 1000uF, I suppose the bag of caps in the basement for the last
30 years are too old to use???? If so I'll buy a new one.

I had two never-used caps of the right size in the basement and I was
too impatient to try to test them, so I just used one to replace the
original.

It didn't work.

Finally someone suggested what I already knew and forgot, to test the
speaker with a battery. It clicked the first time the battery was
touched to the plug but not again. Then clicked again when the plug
tip and ring were shorted to each other. So the speaker was good and
probably always good. I should have done this first.

And that means the left channel of the amplifier probably has a
problem.

Make sure you are sending an audio signal into the silent channel.

The sound card has both channels because I changed speakers and sound
comes out of both now.

That still leaves the possibility that something about the first-pair
speaker that works broke and it didn't pass the sound on to the other
one. They use different channels of the same amplifier.

That appears to be the case.

But it was hard** to open the speaker, so I'll do the cap first.

The grill along with its grill cloth was glued in place in the first
speaker, and I had to break two of the four plastic prongs to take it
off, which was needed to find the screws and take off the back. I
suspect the other one is glued too and don't want to break it open,
especially since it's going to a friend who only, for some reason,
wants one speaker. At least for now. So what good would it do to
fix it. I'll keep the second speaker, which has an RCA plug on it.

Thanks for the help.