Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TImer switch sicks

I think the reason my (spring wound) bath fan timer switch sticks is when I
reset it, ie, change it form say 20 min to 40 min. It is spring wound. I know
folks who have such switches for twenty years, and they blame me for my
problems. I have a replacement, and I changed it before every three years,
but am curious if it's my fault to figure it out. Also, may have to extend
the wires using scotchlock, so reluctant.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sorry, but your post doesn't make any sense.

If it is a mechanical timer, when you set the time, it starts a clockworks mechanism that closes contacts for the length of time set, and then opens the contacts, to shut of the bathroom fan, for example. If it is a purely electrical type of timer, a motorized clock does the timing for opening a set of contacts and shutting off the ventilating fan.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

THanks. I seem to be able to avoid the problem by not interrupring the
cycle. If I reset the spring timer from 20 min to 40 min it gets stuck
at 40 min. If I let it finish then reset it, it seems not to stick (as much?)

I've been replacing the switch when it get stuck, every thre years or so,
except a friend with an entire building full of them (running two decades)
tells me to timer isn't the problem, I am.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Timer Off Switch [email protected] UK diy 8 May 14th 08 07:49 PM
1-switch + 1-timer in one box? [email protected] Home Repair 8 December 5th 06 05:18 PM
Timer Switch? Buster Chops Home Repair 8 October 23rd 06 09:12 PM
Timer Switch [email protected] Electronics 14 July 31st 05 07:45 PM
Timer switch for double switch wall plate [email protected] Home Repair 5 May 19th 05 08:42 PM