Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default STUPID QUESTION No. 5

An X-ray machine I worked on had all white wires. Then I notices that all of the wires had pre-printed numbers written on the wire similar to motors. there was an in-house thingy that had all yellow wires. I notices that that used ground for the neutral return. Management would not let me fix it.. They said It's been like that for 20 years.

p-touch has been good to me.

I generally like labeling the cables and not their function. An fire alarm panel type thing, I used plastic label clips with designations like 1A2.
Cable A from location a to location 2. These were the red PTFE insulated cables.

I do like the p-touch labels. Just get the supplies from the brother website. Cheaper than Staples.

The wire markers have their use when taking something apart.

Aside:
At home, I'm slowly wiring the house. Not a whole lot has happened so far except a patch panel - nothing connected. The telco patch panel (paralleled) is red, All will use CAT6. The patch and room outlets will use inserts to make the RJ45's appear as 6p6c. Two colors for the CAT6.

So, for the most part, I cleaned up existing wiring and used two octopus cables to handle power to wall warts,

There's room to put a 1RU switch.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Another aside:

What I found to be extremely useful is to mark the ends of wall wart cables and the actual equipment.

The cable end may be marked
5.5/2.1 C+
5 V / 1A DC

So you have a coax 5.5 mm/2.1 mm center is positive

Separately it's marked something like:
Dynex abc
USB switch

These are Flag labels.

I put the voltages/current and connector sizes on the equipment too.

I need to go back and add a flag label at the wall wart for what it' connected to especially for my Octopus cables. Then there is the database.