Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Leaving small devices on constantly.

Leaving small devices on constantly.

I have some wireless speakers which use a wireless transmitter that is
plugged into the sound output of the computer.

I only actually listen to the wireless sound in other rooms 2 or 3
times a week for an hour or two**

I'm not concerned about the electricity being use, but about wearing
out the transmitter (about 4x4x1 inch) because I've been leaving it on
all the time.

If I remembered, it would be easy enough to turn it off because it's
wall wart is plugged into "Master Power Plus" a flat box that sits
under the monitor with 4 switches for whatever I plug into them (and a
master switch). I use one for the transmitter, one for the local
speakers, and I have used one for the monitor.

So, does leaving the xmitter on all the time, year after year, make it
likely to wear out sooner than turning it on 2 or 3 tiems a week for
an hour or two, or more each time since I'll probably go out after
lunch and won't want to go upstairs to turn the xmitter off again?

P.S. I've been looking to buy another xmitter. I did buy another set
of speakers but the ebay/CraigsList seller kept the xmitter back to
test speakers as he got them. I have one spare that seemed to stop
working years ago, but for some reason I wasn't convinced or I thought
it was some perimeter problem I could fix.

Thanks for any help you can give.

**But it's very good to have because I can eat my dinner or take a
bath or even work on the lawn mower outside etc. whenever I want
without having to stay in the office near the computer to listen to a
favorite program. RadioMaximus (free) has made it even easier to
listen to a variety of webradio.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Most well made electronics actually benefit from being under power at all times. Exceptions would be surges, brown outs and lightening strikes. Three are always inrush surges, thermal issues and other faults relating to start-up and shutdown that are not good.

I kept a Ramsey FM100B (1-watt version) when I worked overseas that now has been in operation 24/7 these last 11 years without a single glitch.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 6 May 2016 15:14:12 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Most well made electronics actually benefit from being under power at all times. Exceptions would be surges, brown outs and lightening strikes.

Eventually I'll get all this conneced to a surge supressor, but in 33
years here, the numeric panel for the burglar alarm went up in smoke
for some reason, but no other possible surge problems

Three are always inrush surges, thermal issues and other faults relating to start-up and shutdown that are not good.

Okay

I kept a Ramsey FM100B (1-watt version) when I worked overseas that now has been in operation 24/7 these last 11 years without a single glitch.

Now that you mention it, I have two tv signal amplifiers that have
been plugged in for 32 and 30 years, except during 3 power failures
and ~30 momentary interruptions and they still work fine.

I'll leave it on. Thanks.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yup, things like that, don't worry about it. In fact some people leave their big power amps on all the time, and believe it or not they actually act as surge protectors in a way. When a surge id only a few milliseconds those big 10,000 uF caps do not charge all that much and they flatten it.

I also never reboot my computers unless it is required for an anti-virus update. I also do not allow anything but the AV to update, at all. I works now so I do not want it fixed.

When you first turn equipment on, that surge current can be like 100 times normal draw. If a CRT TV with an automatic degausser it can be way higher than that. In fact now some equipment has a surge limiting resistor that is shunted by a relay (for efficiency) after so long. Or there is Sony's plan using a zero crossing detector so the relay kicks in right when the AC is at zero.

Little transmitters like that are not that critical. Turn off TV sets, class A amps and anything with tubes. Other than that leave it all on.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 06 May 2016 16:46:05 -0400, Micky
wrote:

So, does leaving the xmitter on all the time, year after year, make it
likely to wear out sooner than turning it on 2 or 3 tiems a week for
an hour or two, or more each time since I'll probably go out after
lunch and won't want to go upstairs to turn the xmitter off again?

No. Leaving it on will last longer than turning it on and off.
Electronics does not like to be power cycled. Power electronics is
worse because it doesn't like to be thermal cycled.

I had a good example of longevity. I had an SCO ODT 486DX2/66 server
running in my office 24x7 for about 15 years. I did manage to destroy
a few CPU and power supply fans (if it moves, it breaks), but most
everything else just ran and ran. The ancient Conner Peripherals
CP1060S 1GB drive just kept going. I was waiting for it to die so I
had an excuse to replace it, but it just kept going. I finally
scrapped it about 6 months ago for parts that I needed to fix an
ancient Omniturn machining center controller. Meanwhile, other
machines, there were turned on and off as needed, would blow something
up after about 5-7 years.

The only exception I can think of are bulging electrolytic capacitors.
They're killed by ripple current and over temperature, which is
largely a function of operating time. So, if your xmitter is full of
junk electrolytics, you might have more problems with continuous
operation.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"The only exception I can think of are bulging electrolytic capacitors.
They're killed by ripple current and over temperature, which is
largely a function of operating time. So, if your xmitter is full of
junk electrolytics, you might have more problems with continuous
operation. "

With the ****ylytics of today I think you'll have that anyway. They go bad without even being used. The old ones could be reformed, but not the new ones. In fact sometimes they leak right into the parts drawer.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

So, does leaving the xmitter on all the time, year after year, make it
likely to wear out sooner than turning it on 2 or 3 tiems a week for
an hour or two, or more each time since I'll probably go out after
lunch and won't want to go upstairs to turn the xmitter off again?

No. Leaving it on will last longer than turning it on and off.
Electronics does not like to be power cycled. Power electronics is
worse because it doesn't like to be thermal cycled.

I had a good example of longevity. I had an SCO ODT 486DX2/66 server
running in my office 24x7 for about 15 years. I did manage to destroy
a few CPU and power supply fans (if it moves, it breaks), but most

Yes, I've noticed that. One time 40 years ago a neighbor asked me
what kind of TV to buy, and I said, All I know is don't get mechanical
tuning, get electronic. When I was over there next, it had a turret
tuner**, but I kept my mouth shut. Why did they even ask me, I
wondered.

**It was very easy to turn the knob, easier than any other that I've
seen before or since. I think it was mechanical, unless there was for
a while some sort of electronic channel selector that involved
rotating a knob. ??

everything else just ran and ran. The ancient Conner Peripherals
CP1060S 1GB drive just kept going. I was waiting for it to die so I
had an excuse to replace it, but it just kept going. I finally
scrapped it about 6 months ago for parts that I needed to fix an
ancient Omniturn machining center controller. Meanwhile, other
machines, there were turned on and off as needed, would blow something
up after about 5-7 years.

The only exception I can think of are bulging electrolytic capacitors.
They're killed by ripple current and over temperature, which is
largely a function of operating time. So, if your xmitter is full of
junk electrolytics, you might have more problems with continuous
operation.

Thanks. And thanks, Jur.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

SCOOP

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/sc...y-are-off.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 8 May 2016 18:40:19 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

SCOOP

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/sc...y-are-off.html

Dang. We have to sent everyone in Niger an electric coffee pot so
they can use more electricity.

I shouldn't sound sarcastic. For years I would tell people that with
the power used to light up empty public washrooms in the US, we could
power the country of Chad**.

But that's not funny anymore because Chad changed its name to Brian.

**I don't know if that was/is true, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/8/2016 9:40 PM, wrote:
SCOOP

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/sc...y-are-off.html

"About a quarter of all residential energy consumption is used on
devices in idle power mode ..." If you exclude air conditioners,
clothes dryers, and electric stoves.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 9:55:00 AM UTC-4, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

"About a quarter of all residential energy consumption is used on
devices in idle power mode ..." If you exclude air conditioners,
clothes dryers, and electric stoves.

YIKES!

I could put everything on a power-strip and shut everything down dead when not in actual use. BUT:

a) I would have to reprogram the presets on two tuners.
b) I would have to reset/reprogram the plasma TV from "sales-all-bright" mode to normal operating mode with each turn-on.
c) I would have to re-sync the multi-device remote - about a 10 minute ordeal.
d) I would have to reprogram the DVR.
e) Reset the clocks on the stove & microwave.
f) Let the vintage AR electronics and Dynaco PAT-5 "warm up" for about 15 seconds before allowing any sound through.

And, here is the grand total of the savings:

a) Two tuners "off": 3 watts
b) Plasma TV: 5 watts
c) DVR: 15 watts
d) Stove & Microwave: 5 watts
e) AR amp & Receiver: 6 watts
f) PAT-5: 2 watts

36 watts. x 24 x 365 = 315,360/1000 = 315 kw. x $0.14 = $44.16/12 = $3.68 per month.

Most well designed switching power-supplies draw very little current when not in use. Vanishingly little.

Nor can we send our surplus power to Chad, as it happens.

Keep in mind that when we use devices such as a laptop or other battery- based items, the net use is pretty much the same whether we allow the battery to discharge between uses or not.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Something leaving small animal parts at my door! Val Gal Home Repair 53 June 7th 10 04:39 AM
Tap constantly dripping? A.Lee UK diy 4 December 22nd 09 02:39 AM
UPS constantly charging dsn3775 Electronics Repair 7 June 20th 07 08:12 PM
URGENT: ISO IXFN55N50 MOSFET Devices -- US Supplier, Small QTY Needed Mark & Mary Ann Weiss Electronics Repair 7 January 24th 07 01:23 AM
compaq xn5000 hdd works constantly and fan spins constantly pocco Electronics Repair 0 November 26th 06 08:32 PM