Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Phone listening stops working

I live in Md. and have Verizon copper for phone and DSL. The phone I
use mostly and for these incidents is hard-wired, though fwliw the
base of that phone is also the connection for cordless phones that are
available to it, but none have been in use during this problem: Lately
there have been seemingly random interruptions in my ability to hear,
though others can always hear me.

3 times I've been in a long conversation with a friend on a cell phone
with a headset, and for substantial periods, 5 minutes or more, I
couldn't hear her. She'd had trouble with headsets before so we
thought that's what it was. But I was on the phone with a bank
yesterday, and again I couldn't hear him for 3 or 4 minutes.

I tried wiggling, pushing and pulling the plug into the handset and
banging on the handset with my hand, and it had no effect. I didn't
touch the base of the phone this time or any of these times, and
nothing strange appeared on the computer which I sometimes use while
on the phone. (The phone is a Uniden, also with cordless phones
available but not in use.)

Then all of a sudden it started working again and did so for the rest
of the phone call, 10 minutes or more, and today it worked fine for 90
minutes.

Verizon provides the phone and the DSL for the computer. Nothing for
TV. Any idea what the problem could be? ;-) Or what I should try
next?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 04.05.16 5:06, Micky wrote:

[...]

Does any WIFI work on the same frequency as your phone?
That is what happened to me with a wireless camera.
Which made for a lousy picture with blocks of noise in that.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 04 May 2016 05:32:29 +0200, Sjouke Burry
wrote:

On 04.05.16 5:06, Micky wrote:

[...]

Well the phone says it runs on 5.8 MHz. I don't know what wifi runs
on.

But it's the phone with a cord that goes to the base station, with a
cord that goes to the central station, via copper, that stops letting
me hear other people. The cordless phones are all off, that is,
on just enough to know if the base station is calling them.

That is what happened to me with a wireless camera.
Which made for a lousy picture with blocks of noise in that.

Wow. I'll keep that in mind.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 04 May 2016 07:51:16 -0500, legg wrote:

On Tue, 03 May 2016 23:06:33 -0400, Micky
wrote:

[...]

Each phone should have a filter at their wall connection, if the line
is used also for DSL. No filter going to modem.

That's the way it is.

There are only two phones connected to the wires. This one that has
the DSL filter (and shows no static or whatever interference the DSL
would cause) and a standard Western Electric dial phone in the
basement, that is on the hook 99.9% of the time, and always when this
problem happens.

If they are already present, replace them. A few bucks each.

I'd do that, in fact I still have spares, but are you just saying this
for caution or do you really think one could be going in and out liike
this?

Thanks to both of you.
RL

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I live in Md. and have Verizon copper for phone and DSL. The phone I
use mostly and for these incidents is hard-wired, though fwliw the
base of that phone is also the connection for cordless phones that are
available to it, but none have been in use during this problem: Lately
there have been seemingly random interruptions in my ability to hear,
though others can always hear me.

I am going to feed back what I understood from your description of the problem.

a) You have a Uniden (Chinese) hard-wired all the way phone that goes dumb sometimes - does not speak to the other end.
b) This is the only phone in your dwelling that displays this problem.
c) You have done the obvious - checked the connections, wiggled the jacks and so forth. No help.
These cheap Chinese phones are all-on-a-chip devices, acutely sensitive to any sort of spike on the line and also age out with startling regularity. If no other phone in the house displays this problem, replace the Uniden.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I live in Md. and have Verizon copper for phone and DSL. The phone I
use mostly and for these incidents is hard-wired, though fwliw the
base of that phone is also the connection for cordless phones that are
available to it, but none have been in use during this problem: Lately
there have been seemingly random interruptions in my ability to hear,
though others can always hear me.

I am going to feed back what I understood from your description of the problem.

a) You have a Uniden (Chinese) hard-wired all the way phone that goes dumb sometimes - does not speak to the other end.
b) This is the only phone in your dwelling that displays this problem.

Now that you mention it, I spend almost all my time on this phone, and
I will start keeping a cordless phone next to it, so when this one
goes half-dead, I can see if the cordless works.

I would think they share very few parts, that the wireless is as
separate from the wired as a second wired phone would be.

And I'm betting it won't affect the wireless because I think the only
part the wireless and wired share is the phone jack and maybe the
internal wires to it.

c) You have done the obvious - checked the connections, wiggled the jacks and so forth. No help.
These cheap Chinese phones are all-on-a-chip devices, acutely sensitive to any sort of spike on the line and also age out with startling regularity.

Hmmm. We'll see how long it takes until it happens again. (on the
phone for an hour yesterday with no problems)

If no other phone in the house displays this problem, replace the Uniden.

I do have another compatible base station with a wireless phone
instead of wired. It's around here someplace, in the original box, so
it might be possible to find it. It was cheaper to buy two two-phone
sets than an phone and 2 other wiresless extensions. Before ebay
stops selling them, I should buy one or two more extensions for when
mine break. Maybe I'll buy another whole set with a wired base
station instead. (I've had the phones 4 - 6 or more years and this
is the first problem.)

Thansk. (It's near Gdansk.)

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Micky wrote: "Now that you mention it, I spend almost all my time on this phone, and
I will start keeping a cordless phone next to it, so when this one "

Do a search for Goodwills or Salvation Armys in
your area. Periodically they do get in old SW
Bell or AT&T touch tone and trimline sets.
Weigh a ton, and come in your choice of beige,
beige, or, beige(!), but they're American built
and are tough as bricks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I stick a DSL filter on the old phones as well, just to keep the line
impedances in a known state, for DSL integrity where it's needed (not
for phone quality).

Early Uniden hand-sets do funny stuff, but am aware of happy campers
as well. I don't use wireless here.

Sounds internal - AGC and compression in the voice handling - either
something detecting false levels on the mic, or a failing to return to
the Rx from Tx states ~flakey mike, cord or even chip. As with most
stuff, it's not intended to be repaired.

RL

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

There are Rx and Tx states in a wired phone??

cord or even chip. As with most
stuff, it's not intended to be repaired.

RL

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Some cheap phone on a chip wired phones use a single chip to do double duty. But such a problem as you describe seems unlikely even with that eventuality. And even so, that would mean a bad phone due for landfill.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 6 May 2016 14:59:27 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Some cheap phone on a chip wired phones use a single chip to do double duty. But such a problem as you describe seems unlikely even with that eventuality. And even so, that would mean a bad phone due for landfill.

I'll also try unplugging the electricity next time, for a while. The
wired part of the phone doesn't need it except to make the bell ring
with a louder sound.

But first I'll check out the cordless phone when the corded phone
doesn't work right.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 04 May 2016 07:51:16 -0500, legg wrote:

On Tue, 03 May 2016 23:06:33 -0400, Micky
wrote:

snip

I stick a DSL filter on the old phones as well, just to keep the line
impedances in a known state, for DSL integrity where it's needed (not
for phone quality).

Early Uniden hand-sets do funny stuff, but am aware of happy campers
as well. I don't use wireless here.

Sounds internal - AGC and compression in the voice handling - either
something detecting false levels on the mic, or a failing to return to
the Rx from Tx states ~flakey mike,

There are Rx and Tx states in a wired phone??

Depends on what chips are used. If it has wireless handsets in the
out-of-the-box package, it could use the same parts or firmware for
cost reasons - just using the wires to sub out the battery. Who knows.

RL