Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old Garmin handheld GPS, battery problem

It seems the plastic housing has deformed to slightly oval tubes or
something, but no rechargeable AA size batteries (2x2) comfortably slide
in and out. Had to cut in from the side to make an access point to lever
out the 2 deeper AAs, wedged in ther, no corrossion , just lack of
freeboard. Any ideas how to enlarge the bores a bit, no engineering
reamer available. Those silly sandpaper cylinders on a rubber cylinder
"mandrel" for "Dremmels" would do the job if there was a way to extend
the shaft. I'll try the core of a "choc block" connector as a coupler,
but any other ideas?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Because of the off-axis coupler, I had to wrap 8 turns of 1mm copper
wire around non-protruding side of the couple, and grind the screws down
to grub screws, to balance things up a bit
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016, N_Cook wrote:

It seems the plastic housing has deformed to slightly oval tubes or
something, but no rechargeable AA size batteries (2x2) comfortably slide in
and out. Had to cut in from the side to make an access point to lever out the
2 deeper AAs, wedged in ther, no corrossion , just lack of freeboard. Any
ideas how to enlarge the bores a bit, no engineering reamer available. Those
silly sandpaper cylinders on a rubber cylinder "mandrel" for "Dremmels" would
do the job if there was a way to extend the shaft. I'll try the core of a
"choc block" connector as a coupler, but any other ideas?

I'm not sure if it's "deformed".

I have a Garmin, sort of slender and long, and I've had some trouble with
rechargeables in there. The battery cover has a thing in the middle that
you twist to lock it closed. That has been a tight fit. I seem to recall
trying the thing with alkaline AAs, and it was easier to close that cover.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 26/04/2016 00:26, Michael Black wrote:
[...]

The closers are Dzus Camlock. Perhaps deliberately undersized bores so
as to lock you in to buying Garmin undersize AA batteries.
If you are forcing home the closer , then you will have the same problem
of the lower cells jammed in the bore. As the moulding around the bores
is highly asymetric, perhaps the plastic releives over time and bends,
anyway my "reaming" has done the trick, crude but effective, GPS still
works BTW
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:
[...]

Are the origional batteries really undersized, or has the case just warped from
heat? You could wrap the batteries with a few layers of paper, heat the case
with an hot air gun, and insert the batteries to warp it back out.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 13/05/2016 18:23, Bob F wrote:
N_Cook wrote:
[...]

No real way of engineering-wise checking , but I suspect the tubes have
gone banana shaped to some extent. Perhaps the plastic releives on one
side, no tthe other, due to the asymetric structure of the case. Not
kept in a hot place or sun though.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 10:48:10 AM UTC-4, N_Cook wrote:
It seems the plastic housing has deformed to slightly oval tubes or
something, but no rechargeable AA size batteries (2x2) comfortably slide
in and out. Had to cut in from the side to make an access point to lever
out the 2 deeper AAs, wedged in ther, no corrossion , just lack of
freeboard. Any ideas how to enlarge the bores a bit, no engineering
reamer available. Those silly sandpaper cylinders on a rubber cylinder
"mandrel" for "Dremmels" would do the job if there was a way to extend
the shaft. I'll try the core of a "choc block" connector as a coupler,
but any other ideas?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#grinding-bits/=12ed2ml

such bits as metal grinding carbides are essential for rust maintenance.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...holders/1.html