Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DVD Rewinder

Got in a pack of new clip leads. I can do alot of things with clip leads. They are a bench staple like the ends off of components, paper clips, various glues and potions.

OK, fairly nice set of leads.

THEY CAME IN AN ANTI STATIC BAG !

I want to call that company and ask if they have any DVD rewinders in stock.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 7:44:20 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Got in a pack of new clip leads. I can do alot of things with clip leads. They are a bench staple like the ends off of components, paper clips, various glues and potions.

OK, fairly nice set of leads.

THEY CAME IN AN ANTI STATIC BAG !

I want to call that company and ask if they have any DVD rewinders in stock.

I'm forever stepping on the ones that fall off the bench unnoticed, and they flatten almost completely (and I'm not overweight). Years ago, clip leads were heavy stamped steel or copper and much more durable. If you ever run across a source for these let me know.

How fast is the DVD rewinder?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 04/19/2016 8:35 PM, John Robertson wrote:
On 04/19/2016 5:20 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 16:44:16 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Got in a pack of new clip leads. I can do alot of things with clip
leads. They are a bench staple like the ends off of components, paper
clips, various glues and potions.

OK, fairly nice set of leads.

THEY CAME IN AN ANTI STATIC BAG !

I want to call that company and ask if they have any DVD rewinders in
stock.

DVD rewinders are rare. Write only memory is rare too, but not rare
enough. I have come across write only memory DVDs and that's what I
use my DVD rewinder for.
Eric

WOM is not that rare - the 25120 was designed by Signetics engineer John
G 'Jack' Curtis back in the early 70s and included in their catalog:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/molo...r/25120-bw.pdf

John ;-#)#

Ah, the background story to the WOM is he

http://www.sigwom.com/

Fun read!

Yay Jeff Leiberman!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 20:35:56 -0700, John Robertson
wrote:
WOM is not that rare - the 25120 was designed by Signetics engineer John
G 'Jack' Curtis back in the early 70s and included in their catalog:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/molo...r/25120-bw.pdf
John ;-#)#

I was one of the winners in the applications contest. I later tried
to specify a WOM in a design:
http://www.sigwom.com/?page_id=57
http://ba.internet.narkive.com/Y3r0WXMC/ot-signetics-wom-hey-jeff-liebermann

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"I like the DVD rewinder, but can't you just insert the CD upside-down
and play it again to rewind it?"

I think that voids the warranty on Sonys and a couple of other brands.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Heisenberg wrote: "- show quoted text -
I can insert a DVD upside down in my laptop to write the label.

You actually got that "Lightscribe" thing
to work?? Stuck a disk in my tower,
configured the label the way I wanted
it, hit "OK", waited a half a friggin HOUR,
no status on the screen, no sounds from
the CD/DVD disc DRIVE, eject - blank label.
Never bothered with it again.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
WOM is not that rare - the 25120 was designed by Signetics engineer John
G 'Jack' Curtis back in the early 70s and included in their catalog:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/molo...r/25120-bw.pdf John ;-#)#

I was one of the winners in the applications contest. I later tried to
specify a WOM in a design:
http://www.sigwom.com/?page_id=57
http://ba.internet.narkive.com/Y3r0W...-wom-hey-jeff-

liebermann

Seems to be some smart people here. I need to learn how to empty the /dev/
null device.

I have lots of scripts that that write to it and I suspect it needs
emptied.

Any help?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
WOM is not that rare - the 25120 was designed by Signetics engineer John
G 'Jack' Curtis back in the early 70s and included in their catalog:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/molo...r/25120-bw.pdf John ;-#)#

I was one of the winners in the applications contest. I later tried to
specify a WOM in a design:
http://www.sigwom.com/?page_id=57
http://ba.internet.narkive.com/Y3r0W...-wom-hey-jeff-

liebermann

Seems to be some smart people here. I need to learn how to empty the /dev/
null device.

I have lots of scripts that that write to it and I suspect it needs
emptied.

I used to have a job clearing the dead cowboys out of TV sets.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

Got in a pack of new clip leads. I can do alot of things with clip leads.
They are a bench staple like the ends off of components, paper clips,
various glues and potions.

OK, fairly nice set of leads.

THEY CAME IN AN ANTI STATIC BAG !

I want to call that company and ask if they have any DVD rewinders in stock.

Many things I buy from Farnell now comes in anti static bags, regardless of
the vulnerability of such goods to static.

I suspect the cost of this packaging is less than the cost of the litigation
of not providing goods in this packaging, and then having to deal with
spurious/bogus claims of static damage.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 00:08:32 +0100, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

Got in a pack of new clip leads. I can do alot of things with clip leads.
They are a bench staple like the ends off of components, paper clips,
various glues and potions.

By alot do you mean not a lot the way atheist means not a theist.

Gareth.

=-=-
little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
WOM is not that rare - the 25120 was designed by Signetics engineer John
G 'Jack' Curtis back in the early 70s and included in their catalog:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/molo...r/25120-bw.pdf John ;-#)#

I was one of the winners in the applications contest. I later tried to
specify a WOM in a design:
http://www.sigwom.com/?page_id=57
http://ba.internet.narkive.com/Y3r0W...-wom-hey-jeff-

liebermann

Seems to be some smart people here. I need to learn how to empty the /dev/
null device.

I have lots of scripts that that write to it and I suspect it needs
emptied.

Any help?

mv /dev/null /dev/null ... that should do it!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 20:14:33 -0000 (UTC), Jim Whitby
wrote:

Seems to be some smart people here. I need to learn how to empty the /dev/
null device.

I have lots of scripts that that write to it and I suspect it needs
emptied.

Any help?

Sure. Merely change /dev/null from a device node to an ordinary file
with 666 permissions. The file will grow and grow until your disk
fills up. Overflow indicates that it's time to clean out the
accumulated junk with a simple:
/dev/null

and start over. No need to have root permission, anyone can do it.

With this method, you have the satisfaction of knowing that /dev/null
is working, not having a dangerous black hole in the middle of your
system, and giving the NSA a chance to look at what you are trying to
hide in /dev/null. If you get tired of clearing the /dev/null file,
you can build a FIFO buffer (i.e. named pipe) where /dev/null is
maintained at a fixed size, and new junk tossed into /dev/null will
push old junk out the other end of the pipe. I'm not a very good
programmist, but I'm sure it can be done by someone more evil and
devious than me.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 21:44:06 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Here are 100 of the small alligator clips with red insulators for
$13. You can repair the damaged ones, or make your own.

Alligator and crocodile clips are useless in todays miniature
electronics. The best I can do are "wire hook" ends like these:
http://stores.ebay.com/22newcentury/_i.html?_nkw=wire+hooks

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 09:24:15 +0100, MJC
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Alligator and crocodile clips are useless in todays miniature
electronics. The best I can do are "wire hook" ends like these:
http://stores.ebay.com/22newcentury/_i.html?_nkw=wire+hooks

Perhaps someone should invent caiman clips. Ideally they would be sold
duty-free (=Cayman; geddit?).

In Telstra we used EZed hooks.

Mike.

=-=-
little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 17:52:05 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Some types of anti static bag defeat the security tag detectors in shop
doorways.

The motivation behind making them so readily available is anyone's guess.

Yesterday I had to go through a metal detector to get into the court
house. Even had to remove my belt so the buckle would not set it off.

Got me to thinking that iron and steel effect radio tuned circuits one
way and brass and maybe some other materials affect it the other way.

Could someone have say a knife with a steel blade and an matching amount
of brass go through the detector with out setting it off ?

I don't know if your scheme would work but I do know that airport
metal detectors have some way to discriminate between a key in my
wallet and all the titanium and stainless steel in my arms, back, and
pelvis. I used to set the things off but not any more. I have spoken
with folks who have long pins in their legs, artificial knees, and
artificial hips and they don't set off the airport metal detectors
either.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 09:24:15 +0100, MJC
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Alligator and crocodile clips are useless in todays miniature
electronics. The best I can do are "wire hook" ends like these:
http://stores.ebay.com/22newcentury/_i.html?_nkw=wire+hooks

Perhaps someone should invent caiman clips. Ideally they would be sold
duty-free (=Cayman; geddit?).

Mike.

Yuck. Hook clips work fine until one gets to boards full of SMT
components. I have a box of spring loaded probe tips, originally from
a bed of nails test fixture, positioned with the flex plastic hose
used for coolant hose and camera tripods. The board is secured to a
PCB holder and spring pressure makes the connection. Much better and
easier than tack soldering wires.

I'll be at home for a while longer so no photos but here are the
components:

PCB holder:
http://www.comtreeinc.com/pv324_LG.gif

Spring loaded test probe/pin:
https://www.tindie.com/products/upgradeindustries/10x-spear-tip-spring-loaded-pogo-test-pin-p160-b-/

Flexible plastic hose:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=machinery+coolant+hose

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 10:31:46 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Spring loaded test probe/pin:
https://www.tindie.com/products/upgradeindustries/10x-spear-tip-spring-loaded-pogo-test-pin-p160-b-/

More... The magic buzzword is "pogo pin":
https://www.google.com/search?q=pogo+pin&tbm=isch
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pogo+pin
Note that there are also receptacles (sockets) for the pins, to make
them easy to replace:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=pogo+pin+receptacle
Lots of different sizes and tip types.

Once you get into using these pins, you'll find yourself addicted.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Spring loaded test probe/pin:
https://www.tindie.com/products/upgradeindustries/10x-spear-tip-spring-loaded-pogo-test-pin-p160-b-/

More... The magic buzzword is "pogo pin":
https://www.google.com/search?q=pogo+pin&tbm=isch
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pogo+pin
Note that there are also receptacles (sockets) for the pins, to make
them easy to replace:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=pogo+pin+receptacle
Lots of different sizes and tip types.

Once you get into using these pins, you'll find yourself addicted.

Are you familiar with IDS and wirewrap?

=-=-
little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Spring loaded test probe/pin:
https://www.tindie.com/products/upgradeindustries/10x-spear-tip-spring-loaded-pogo-test-pin-p160-b-/

More... The magic buzzword is "pogo pin":
https://www.google.com/search?q=pogo+pin&tbm=isch
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pogo+pin
Note that there are also receptacles (sockets) for the pins, to make
them easy to replace:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=pogo+pin+receptacle
Lots of different sizes and tip types.

Once you get into using these pins, you'll find yourself addicted.

Are you familiar with IDS and wirewrap?

Insulation Displacement Something. Yep, been there with every ribbon
cable connector. I even have the proper IDS compression tools for
most of the connectors used in PC's.

Wire Wrap. Yep, I still have my spools of #30 wire, which I now use
for soldering breadboards. I still have my manual tools as I sold my
battery operated wire wrap gun.

Now, are you familiar with my policy of ignoring one line questions?
The problem is that one line questions usually lack any content,
value, understand, detail, and are generally not worth reading. Since
your nom de plume implies uncertainty, I'll make an exception this
time.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 04/21/2016 10:31 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 09:24:15 +0100, MJC
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

I'd enjoy seeing pictures of your test bench setup with those pogo pins.
Near as I can figure you use those semi-stiff hoses to hold the pins on
the UUT (unit under test). For me, not su useful as I am mostly fixing
TTL stuff (not many folks still do that), but I can see it being very
useful on SMT products.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com