Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Portable compressed air tank

Right,

I would really like a very small, cheap, air tank that I can charge every
now and again at the local garage (i.e. can be filled with a standard car
tyre pump).
I would also like it to include one of these, to blow all the dust from the
heatsinks and chassis in Power Amplifiers, amongst other things.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-19...AOSwpzdWrsU q

Does such a thing exist? Are retail tyre pumps powerful enough to charge
these?
I've been Googling but don't know the connector terminology that says "you
can charge this with your local tyre pump".

I've found lots of portable air tanks aimed at Motorsports, but I'm really
not sure about the local tyre pump mechanism thingy to charge it.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2016-03-22 21:46:56 +0000, Gareth Magennis said:

Right,

I would really like a very small, cheap, air tank that I can charge
every now and again at the local garage (i.e. can be filled with a
standard car tyre pump).
I would also like it to include one of these, to blow all the dust from
the heatsinks and chassis in Power Amplifiers, amongst other things.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-19...AOSwpzdWrsU q

Does such a thing exist? Are retail tyre pumps powerful enough to charge these?
I've been Googling but don't know the connector terminology that says
"you can charge this with your local tyre pump".

I've found lots of portable air tanks aimed at Motorsports, but I'm
really not sure about the local tyre pump mechanism thingy to charge it.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Go to Harbor Freight. They list five.

CP

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
I've found lots of portable air tanks aimed at Motorsports, but I'm
really not sure about the local tyre pump mechanism thingy to charge it.

Go to Harbor Freight. They list five.

Just buy one of the small air compressors at HF for under $ 100. If your
hose does not leak, you can keep the tank filled up for a while before you
need to run the compressor part.

If you want to , you can buy just the portabel tank and fill it anywhere
there is an air supply, hopefully around 100 or so psi.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
I've found lots of portable air tanks aimed at Motorsports, but I'm
really not sure about the local tyre pump mechanism thingy to charge it.

Go to Harbor Freight. They list five.

Just buy one of the small air compressors at HF for under $ 100. If your
hose does not leak, you can keep the tank filled up for a while before you
need to run the compressor part.

If you want to , you can buy just the portabel tank and fill it anywhere
there is an air supply, hopefully around 100 or so psi.

Sorry, I forgot to include that I do not live in North America.
I am in the UK.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 23/03/16 08:46, Gareth Magennis wrote:
I would really like a very small, cheap, air tank that I can charge
every now and again at the local garage (i.e. can be filled with a
standard car tyre pump).

A standard type of water-based fire extinguisher can be pressurized
using air through a nozzle the same as a tyre nozzle. That is, you
can fill it yourself and pressurize at the local fuel station.
They have a pressure gauge so you can tell whether your extinguisher
is ready for use.

I have a couple of these, and used one in a gas-flow experiment at
150PSI, no water. It will discharge through a 1mm nozzle for longer
than 2 minutes. I have time/pressure graphs somewhere; that was the
point of the experiment, we measured the speed of sound and calculated
an approximation to absolute zero as a high-school experiment).

If you change the standard water nozzle for one with a smaller
diameter, and don't mind reaching down to the cylinder to discharge
it, you'd need no other changes.

My ones look like this:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sebastopol/miscellaneous-goods/9l-water-fire-extinguisher-refillable-50-each/1086145027

Clifford Heath.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
I've found lots of portable air tanks aimed at Motorsports, but I'm
really not sure about the local tyre pump mechanism thingy to charge it.

Go to Harbor Freight. They list five.

Just buy one of the small air compressors at HF for under $ 100. If your
hose does not leak, you can keep the tank filled up for a while before you
need to run the compressor part.

If you want to , you can buy just the portabel tank and fill it anywhere
there is an air supply, hopefully around 100 or so psi.

I don't think you are getting my question.

I would like something like a small Fire Extinguisher I can have near to my
bench, not a big noisy compressor I have to store somewhere.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Per Gareth Magennis:
I would really like a very small, cheap, air tank that I can charge every
now and again at the local garage (i.e. can be filled with a standard car
tyre pump).

Harbor Freight, as others have observed, is probably a good bet.

But how small?

If you want *really* small, start Googling "Paint Ball Guns". The
paint ball people who do not use CO2 use compressed air and the tanks
are quite small - yet hold something like 800 PSI.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message

I don't think you are getting my question.

I would like something like a small Fire Extinguisher I can have near to
my bench, not a big noisy compressor I have to store somewhere.

No, we are not getting the question. Going by what you sent, the tank is
about a foot in diameter and 2 feet long. Or 1/3 of a meter in diameter and
a meter and a half long. The tanks are usually made to carry out on the
road and blow up car tires.

You now appear to want a tank about 3 or 4 inches in diameter and a foot
long.
You probably would not get enough air in it to do much at 100 psi or so that
many of the stations supply.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message

I don't think you are getting my question.

I would like something like a small Fire Extinguisher I can have near to
my bench, not a big noisy compressor I have to store somewhere.

No, we are not getting the question. Going by what you sent, the tank is
about a foot in diameter and 2 feet long. Or 1/3 of a meter in diameter and
a meter and a half long. The tanks are usually made to carry out on the
road and blow up car tires.

You now appear to want a tank about 3 or 4 inches in diameter and a foot
long.
You probably would not get enough air in it to do much at 100 psi or so that
many of the stations supply.

I only want to blow the dust out of a power amplifier occasionally.
I can buy a can of air do do that, but it is expensive.

Surely there exists a small compressed air bottle that you can recharge at
your local garage do do that same job.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 21:46:56 -0000, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

Right,

I would really like a very small, cheap, air tank that I can charge every
now and again at the local garage (i.e. can be filled with a standard car
tyre pump).
I would also like it to include one of these, to blow all the dust from the
heatsinks and chassis in Power Amplifiers, amongst other things.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-19...AOSwpzdWrsU q

Does such a thing exist? Are retail tyre pumps powerful enough to charge
these?
I've been Googling but don't know the connector terminology that says "you
can charge this with your local tyre pump".

I've found lots of portable air tanks aimed at Motorsports, but I'm really
not sure about the local tyre pump mechanism thingy to charge it.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Greetings Gareth,
Small tire, oops, tyre pumps will fill a small air tank. The problem
is how long it takes and the duty cycle of the pump. Some will have an
extended duty cycle and can be used without stopping for it to cool
down. The problem with all the small pumps is that they need to run
the tiny piston up and down very fast in order to fill a tire in any
reasonable length of time. This makes them noisy because the little DC
motor is spinning so fast. Oh crap, I just re-read your message and it
seems you are asking if the local gas station air compressor will be
powerful enough to fill your tank. Here in the USA most gas station
air compressors will be able to fill a portable air tank, but some to
maybe only to 80 PSI or so. Some of the gas stations have a stand
alone air compressor for filling tyres off away from the gas, er,
petrol pumps and they tend to have undersized compressors so filling
your tank may take a while. But they will fill it. I imagine that in
the UK there are similar things since ti, um ,tyres are the same the
world over no matter how you spell the name. I know some folks here
will also use old beer kegs to hold compressed air. They are made from
pretty heavy wall stainless steel. I have an old keg that I use for
just this reason. Recently I modified a keg, converting it into a
still for a new local micro distillery. The keg had stamped on it that
it would burst if pressurized over 60 PSI. After putting some holes in
it for various pipes I was able to measure the wall thickness and it
would take more, something around 350 PSI, to burst it. I think there
must be a lot of folks stealing kegs to use as air tanks.
Cheers,
Eric

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote:

I only want to blow the dust out of a power amplifier occasionally.
I can buy a can of air do do that, but it is expensive.

** You are labouring under a misconception.

So called "air duster" is not air, but liquefied gas - normally a fluorocarbon.

This allows a small can to hold a useful amount of gas, about 200 litres. A bottle of compressed air would be hold only a few percent of that amount with rapidly diminishing pressure as it is used - IOW almost useless.

You need a continuous supply of compressed air for your tasks.

The usual way to clean a fluff & dust clogged power amps is with a vacuum cleaner and a soft brush. A damp cloth gets most of what is left over.

In cases of sticky contamination or carbon soot from a fire only disassembly and washing in warm water and detergent works.

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 22/03/2016 21:46, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Right,

I would really like a very small, cheap, air tank that I can charge
every now and again at the local garage (i.e. can be filled with a
standard car tyre pump).
I would also like it to include one of these, to blow all the dust from
the heatsinks and chassis in Power Amplifiers, amongst other things.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-19...AOSwpzdWrsU q

Does such a thing exist? Are retail tyre pumps powerful enough to charge
these?
I've been Googling but don't know the connector terminology that says
"you can charge this with your local tyre pump".

I've found lots of portable air tanks aimed at Motorsports, but I'm
really not sure about the local tyre pump mechanism thingy to charge it.

Cheers,

Gareth.

I use a ,noisy, 1KW Martindale blower on dusty chassis, only the grease
stays in place after a quick session with that, outdoors of course.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I just looked up the specs on these, no wonder noisey, 381mph wind with
this 1.5HP version
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 5:47:07 PM UTC-4, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Right,

I would really like a very small, cheap, air tank that I can charge every
now and again at the local garage (i.e. can be filled with a standard car
tyre pump).
I would also like it to include one of these, to blow all the dust from the
heatsinks and chassis in Power Amplifiers, amongst other things.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-19...AOSwpzdWrsU q

Does such a thing exist? Are retail tyre pumps powerful enough to charge
these?
I've been Googling but don't know the connector terminology that says "you
can charge this with your local tyre pump".

I've found lots of portable air tanks aimed at Motorsports, but I'm really
not sure about the local tyre pump mechanism thingy to charge it.

Cheers,

Gareth.

First, keep a few things in mind.

a) Charging a tire in the field is an entirely different concept than what you want. Air is subject to Boyle's Law, and the tank size you suggest would either require a dangerous amount of pressure in it, or not have enough to be useful for more than a minute or two - put another way, one minute less than necessary 100% of the time.

b) Most "gas station thingys" do not have either filters or dryers on them. Meaning that the air you are getting will contain a good deal of moisture, which will also build up in the tank at each charge. If you use a commercial compressor, it will also discharge a certain amount of lubricant into the air. Neither moisture nor lubricants are any good for electronics.

c) As Mr. Allison pointed out rightfully, "canned air" is actually a compressed liquid, usually 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane, is neither air nor designed for your purpose. When a liquid changes phase to a gas, and when that gas is decompressed, it loses heat (gets cold, the principle of refrigeration). So, "Canned Air" comes on strong, and after a very short time slows down as the evaporation reduces due to temperature loss.

With all that in mind, if you want to do what you suggest using compressed air, then invest in "doing it right". Obtain an inexpensive tank-mounted oil-less compressor *NAME BRAND* (I have a US-made reconditioned (by and from) Stanley). Obtain a Filter/Dryer (one of a great many is linked). Then, get a variety of fittings for different applications. My most useful is a flexible-wand device, very thin, that I can reach into very tight places and give moderate blasts of air. Mine fits behind/under the bench, and other than startling the cats when it runs, is practically invisible. I have linked a similar compressor to the one I have, but with a higher profile. The price is right, however.

Now consider all the other things a good compressor will do for you. Spray paint, particle blasting, run nail guns or staplers, start DynaJet engines quickly and safely. I use mine to blow out the water pipes at our summer house before winter. Works like a charm. Fill tires, automotive or bicycle, pressurize pipes for testing purposes, testing miniature steam engines, and much more. And, you can purchase after-market rechargeable spray cans, of course.

http://www.amazon.com/Compressed-des.../dp/B00UEUYHOG

http://www.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-BTFP0.../dp/B00BF4VQ44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gyq3OSwUN8

http://forum.12ozprophet.com/threads...le-can.137582/

Sorry for the rant, but what is desirable is not always practical, and what is practical is not always convenient. This is a nice example of that. After purchasing a compressor in anticipation of a major carpentry project - restoring our summer house after a flood - I am continuously surprised at the number of additional uses I find for it. The summer house is now raised by 8', no more floods.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Gareth Magennis" wrote:

Right,

I would really like a very small, cheap, air tank that I can charge every
now and again at the local garage (i.e. can be filled with a standard car
tyre pump).
I would also like it to include one of these, to blow all the dust from the
heatsinks and chassis in Power Amplifiers, amongst other things.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-19...OW-GUN-PORTABL
E-AIR-TANK-/281924138448?hash=item41a3fcf5d0:g:QPYAAOSwpzdWrsU q

Does such a thing exist? Are retail tyre pumps powerful enough to charge
these?
I've been Googling but don't know the connector terminology that says "you
can charge this with your local tyre pump".

I've found lots of portable air tanks aimed at Motorsports, but I'm really
not sure about the local tyre pump mechanism thingy to charge it.

Gareth-

I can't find it now, but I have a small canister that may be what you
are describing. It is slightly larger than a spray paint can, and holds
a little less than a quart. The problem with it, is that it does not
hold enough air to be practical. I think its main value would be for
use as a liquid sprayer. Again, it does not hold enough air, and would
need frequent re-charging!

The canister has a valve assembly that unscrews from the tank, so you
could fill the tank with a liquid you wanted to spray.

It has a push-button valve on top, to spray the air or liquid. There is
a fill valve like the one on an auto tire (tyre), as well as a pressure
relief valve. I think it could easily be filled with a bicycle hand
pump. A filling station air pump might have too high a pressure for the
relief valve.

I have had it for many years. I got it to use for things like blowing
dust. However, I did not need to blow dust very often, so I eventually
forgot about it!

Fred

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/22/2016 7:51 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
If you want *really* small, start Googling "Paint Ball Guns". The
paint ball people who do not use CO2 use compressed air and the tanks
are quite small - yet hold something like 800 PSI.

You aren't going to refill to 800 psi at the local garage!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

[...]

That might be your experience, I just want to blow the dust off heatsinks
every now and again.

I don't have a Summer House.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 8:01:33 PM UTC-4, Gareth Magennis wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Dust + nicotine/kitchen grease/smoke/creosote = nothing what you describe could handle. Point being, as stated, what is desired is not practical, what is practical may not be convenient. FULL STOP.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 4:47:07 PM UTC-5, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Right,

I would really like a very small, cheap, air tank that I can charge every
now and again at the local garage (i.e. can be filled with a standard car
tyre pump).
I would also like it to include one of these, to blow all the dust from the
heatsinks and chassis in Power Amplifiers, amongst other things.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-19...AOSwpzdWrsU q

Does such a thing exist? Are retail tyre pumps powerful enough to charge
these?
I've been Googling but don't know the connector terminology that says "you
can charge this with your local tyre pump".

I've found lots of portable air tanks aimed at Motorsports, but I'm really
not sure about the local tyre pump mechanism thingy to charge it.

Cheers,

Gareth.

All you need is an old refrigerant (freon) tank and a REFRIGERANT TANK CONVERSION KIT. I bought one of these years ago, and a friend gave me an empty freon tank. It consists of an adapter, valve, pressure gauge, and hose. You can fill it with any compressor and take it with you. I wouldn't fill mine more than about 150psi, but it worked great until I dropped something on it and broke the valve. I just found a kit on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REFRIGERANT-...-/251278903428

And a photo of a typical tank, which can usually be gotten for free if you ask an A/C man:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41IwvEpnrhL.jpg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Unless I'm misunderstanding, what you want is widely available.

I lived in Germany for 5 years. I work for the US Army and where they send me I say yes sir.

In Germany you don't drag a hose to your car tires. Instead, you lift a small bottle off the compressor quick disconnect and walk to each tire. The bottle usually holds enough to pump up each tire. If you are unusually low you might have to set the bottle back on the compressor until it refills.

Google Airquick or go he

http://ewo-stuttgart.com/garage-equi...yre-inflators/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

[...]

Peter I really don't think you get this at all.

I only want to blow dust off a heatsink. I can actually do this myself by
taking a big breath and blowing hard.
But I really don't want to do that, and I don't want a large compressor plus
tank I have to store somewhere to do this for me.
I'd have bought one years ago if I had wanted to do so, I have been well
aware of these things for years.

Inventing reasons I need something else to shift nicotene, grease, smoke etc
is not helpful.
Full Stop.

By the way, I have an emergency tyre in the boot of my car, that claims it
is charged to 60psi.
I bet I could fit an attachment to this to provide short bursts of air that
would be far more effective than anything I can do by blowing hard, and it
has the right attachment for blowing up at any local garage.
http://www.puretyre.co.uk/tyre-infor...ce-saver-tyre/

I just need a smaller tank to do the same job.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 00:34:20 +0100, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

snip

I only want to blow dust off a heatsink. I can actually do this myself by
taking a big breath and blowing hard.

I've done that for someone on an overheating PC but using a thin tube
to better direct the air and get my face out of the way. ;-)

But I really don't want to do that, and I don't want a large compressor plus
tank I have to store somewhere to do this for me.

I've not read the entire thread but I have a very portable and
'adequate' instant / oil-free, non reservoir compressor I regularly
use for blowing out PC heatsinks and cases and have done so for many
years now (to good effect).

http://nbwelly.en.made-in-china.com/...hout-Tank.html

http://tinyurl.com/hn3xonj

My mate (who owns his own PC repair shop) has the exact same and has
been using his for a similar period. The only thing against them, you
do need power and they are pretty noisy (but aren't generally running
for long). Personally, I leave mine just inside an external door, just
close the door on the hose and blow the item clean outside (so not so
noisy).

snip

By the way, I have an emergency tyre in the boot of my car, that claims it
is charged to 60psi.
I bet I could fit an attachment to this to provide short bursts of air that
would be far more effective than anything I can do by blowing hard, and it
has the right attachment for blowing up at any local garage.
http://www.puretyre.co.uk/tyre-infor...ce-saver-tyre/

I just need a smaller tank to do the same job.

As I believe has already been mentioned, you don't get a lot of
'compressed air' when you aren't compressing it to very high pressures
so you may be stuck with something that is still reasonably bulky. A
spare wheel may well be good enough and as you say, already has the
right connections, at least for inflation. ;-)

I bought one of these to do exactly the sort of thing you were talking
of:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Powe...eceiver/p19659

http://tinyurl.com/zjonb68

I have to admit I've not used it yet but I hope to soon, both to
expand the capacity of my small silent workshop compressor (Bambi) and
to have something in the indoor workshop for the odd small blowing out
job (that I can re-charge myself down the workshop on the other
compressor).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"T i m" wrote in message ...

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 00:34:20 +0100, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

snip

[...]

Thanks, Tim.

I was a little bit hasty in suggesting a 60 psi spare tyre might be a
solution.
I tried it earlier to realise the valve is just designed for slow filling,
and has a very restricted airflow when deflating.
(Which I knew already but just plain forgot)

Point is, it doesn't take an awful lot of air to blow dust off a heatsink.
I usually brush off what I can before resorting to using my lungs and
blowing off the remaining inaccessible stuff.
Trouble is this always ends up with some in my lungs and nasal passages.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 5:35:00 PM UTC-4, Gareth Magennis wrote:

I was a little bit hasty in suggesting a 60 psi spare tyre might be a
solution.
I tried it earlier to realise the valve is just designed for slow filling,
and has a very restricted airflow when deflating.
(Which I knew already but just plain forgot)

Point is, it doesn't take an awful lot of air to blow dust off a heatsink..
I usually brush off what I can before resorting to using my lungs and
blowing off the remaining inaccessible stuff.
Trouble is this always ends up with some in my lungs and nasal passages.

I dunno - VW for years drove their window washing system from the spare tire (anyone else remember those days?). It was always a memory contest to make sure to refill the tire, or be stranded by the side of the road as the air lines often leaked. Tires were not-so-good in those days as well.

If all you need is that one lungful, consider a small portable tankless compressor ($15 at your nearest auto-supply) and a refillable aerosol can. No more than 100psi in most cases, but it would do what you lungs can do. For that matter, you could fill such a can from the tire, a double-schraeder fill fitting is cheap enough to fabricate.

Betcha if you do this, you _will_ wish for more...

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 1:35:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:

If all you need is that one lungful, consider a small portable tankless compressor ($15 at your nearest auto-supply) and a refillable aerosol can.

Do they make those? I could fill it from a bicycle pump.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 1:52:14 PM UTC-4, Tim R wrote:
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 1:35:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:

If all you need is that one lungful, consider a small portable tankless compressor ($15 at your nearest auto-supply) and a refillable aerosol can.

Do they make those? I could fill it from a bicycle pump.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41atX8vvK3L.jpg

They sure do. Not much use for high volumes or high pressures, but portable and not overly expensive. The one linked is about US$18 or so. You will note that the one linked also states that it is NOT to be used as a duster. Further research will tell you that this is because there is a tendency to vastly over-pressurize if used for this purpose. Go up in price, and you can get one rated for air only.

http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Pneum...A596F3ND47C2BK

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Way back when, maybe 40+ years ago, I was a kid and there was a CO2 tank in the junkyard. Big and heavy. You won't find tanks in the junkyard anymore because of regulations.

I pump it up to about 160 PSI with a male to male coupler. I also have a valve to safely vent it before disconnecting.

My "compressor" has a small tank and is stationary. I can fill the tank and adjust the air in the car tires, but it doesn't last long.

A compressor (reed based) used for an airbrush would work for your application.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

[...]

Yes, no doubt I will.

I took 4 Power Amplifiers round to the nearby garage today to blow out using
their airline - we are more friends than business accomplices, and they will
happily let me do that for free.
But I have to load the amps in my car and drive it round there.

And yes, it's great to have a huge tank and massive pressure if you have the
space to keep it in.
Worked a treat, so it did.

I discussed this subject with them, and they pretty much said the same
thing - No, you need big pressure, you need big tank, small tank empties
quickly.
(They are Russian)
Also, big tank with high pressure, if explodes, you damage your building.
Big problem, very dangerous.

My workshop is actually now in a Music Shop. A big tank exploding in there
is not even worth thinking about.
A noisy compressor is not ideal either, and I don't have the space to store
it anyway, being as Retail Space in a city centre is rather expensive.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I bought this after someone posted a link on this thread:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FIT-TOOLS-Al...1_TE_3p_ dp_1

As it's aluminium (not aluminum) it should stand up to the water content
of compressed air sources.

I doubt very much it will blow out a Power Amp on it's own, but I have
plenty other uses for an air duster I don't have to keep buying in can form,
and it might just mean I don't have to always cart a big heavy amp to my
local garage to use their mighty airline, as much fun as it is.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote: "Gareth Magennis wrote:

I only want to blow the dust out of a power amplifier occasionally.
I can buy a can of air do do that, but it is expensive.

** You are labouring under a misconception.

So called "air duster" is not air, but liquefied gas - normally a fluorocarbon.

This allows a small can to hold a useful amount of gas, about 200 litres. A bottle of compressed air would be hold only a few percent of that amount with rapidly diminishing pressure as it is used - IOW almost useless.

You need a continuous supply of compressed air for your tasks.

The usual way to clean a fluff & dust clogged power amps is with a vacuum cleaner and a soft brush. A damp cloth gets most of what is left over.

In cases of sticky contamination or carbon soot from a fire only disassembly and washing in warm water and detergent works.

..... Phil "

And I have seen places like Staples charge up
to US$11(!!) per can for em, ostensibly to
price them out of the range of local teenagers
who love to inhale from them in their spare time
(which could be used doing homework, shoveling
snow or mowing neighbors lawns, soup kitchens,
being active church, or school athletics or 1,000
other useful things). !

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

G-Mac:

I bought mine at the local NAPA. Red, about 22"L
by 11" high, holds max. 125PSI, enough for replacing
air in our cars during fall & winter when they lose
pressure to cold temps. The garage renting the
space to one side lets me fill it 1-2x per year, and
their machine dutifully gets it up to 110-115lbs PSI.
(that last 10psi takes the longest, naturally!).

Most gas station courtesy hoses around here
cannot put more than 80psi into it, so they remain
as backup sources. Someday I will stop this tank
nonsense and just buy a small electric compressor.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

And I have seen places like Staples charge up
to US$11(!!) per can for em, ostensibly to
price them out of the range of local teenagers
who love to inhale from them in their spare time

** A 400mL "duster" costs almost A$30 from my local parts supplier.

The store next door will sell you 700mL of Jim Beam for A$39.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote:

I doubt very much it will blow out a Power Amp on it's own, but I have
plenty other uses for an air duster I don't have to keep buying in can form,
and it might just mean I don't have to always cart a big heavy amp to my
local garage to use their mighty airline, as much fun as it is.

** A small scuba diving tank would do the job, you can get 3L ones.

They hold air pressures up to 3000psi or about 200 atmospheres - so you get 600L of air.

Only problem is recharging one.

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 04:13:00 -0700 (PDT) Phil Allison
wrote in Message id:
:

Gareth Magennis wrote:

I doubt very much it will blow out a Power Amp on it's own, but I have
plenty other uses for an air duster I don't have to keep buying in can form,
and it might just mean I don't have to always cart a big heavy amp to my
local garage to use their mighty airline, as much fun as it is.

** A small scuba diving tank would do the job, you can get 3L ones.

They hold air pressures up to 3000psi or about 200 atmospheres - so you get 600L of air.

Only problem is recharging one.

Welding supply house should be able to do that.
http://igoswelding.com/gases/3609608

This place lists UHP Air
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote:

I doubt very much it will blow out a Power Amp on it's own, but I have
plenty other uses for an air duster I don't have to keep buying in can
form,
and it might just mean I don't have to always cart a big heavy amp to my
local garage to use their mighty airline, as much fun as it is.

** A small scuba diving tank would do the job, you can get 3L ones.

They hold air pressures up to 3000psi or about 200 atmospheres - so you get
600L of air.

Only problem is recharging one.

..... Phil

Been Googling a bit, and it seems PCP Air Rifles commonly utilise Scuba
tanks, and you can actually get hand pumps that will provide up to 250 bar.
If you are young and fit enough.

http://www.airgunbuyer.com/Showprodu...SubCat=pump s

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Been Googling a bit, and it seems PCP Air Rifles commonly utilise Scuba
tanks, and you can actually get hand pumps that will provide up to 250 bar.
If you are young and fit enough.

http://www.airgunbuyer.com/Showprodu...SubCat=pump s

And here's a small tank.
http://www.stealthunter.co.uk/mini-c...nit-1269-p.asp

Quite an expensive way to get compressed air, though!

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Gareth Magennis" writes:

Right,

I would really like a very small, cheap, air tank that I can charge every
now and again at the local garage (i.e. can be filled with a standard car
tyre pump).

Harbor Freight sells small pancake compressor+tank setups.
Item # 60637, Item # 95275

When on sale, it can be ~$40, as I recall. When it runs out of
air, you add some electricity and make more.

--
A host is a host from coast to