Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Gibson Les Paul classic of 2013

Firstly "classic" moniker with battery and J202 FET inside?
Unless I've misread the mini-pcb tracery , the boost switch is DPDT
using 2 seriesed switch actions for increased unreliability?
I would have paralleled for increased reliability of a simple switch
action if using a DPDT perhaps because it is more mechanically robust
than SPST or SPDT, or am I missing something?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

Firstly "classic" moniker with battery and J202 FET inside?
Unless I've misread the mini-pcb tracery , the boost switch is DPDT
using 2 seriesed switch actions for increased unreliability?
I would have paralleled for increased reliability of a simple switch
action if using a DPDT perhaps because it is more mechanically robust
than SPST or SPDT, or am I missing something?

That's not the Series/Parallel switch you are looking at?

Gareth.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/03/2016 11:39, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...
Firstly "classic" moniker with battery and J202 FET inside?
Unless I've misread the mini-pcb tracery , the boost switch is DPDT
using 2 seriesed switch actions for increased unreliability?
I would have paralleled for increased reliability of a simple switch
action if using a DPDT perhaps because it is more mechanically robust
than SPST or SPDT, or am I missing something?

That's not the Series/Parallel switch you are looking at?

Gareth.

Not my intended meaning, only 4 terminals are used of the 6 , but not in
a DPST sense as 2 of those 4 terminals are bridged across by a trace, so
the action is just a simple SPST, via 2 switch contacts. So one pole
on or off to simply switch in/out a filter cap or something
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The pcb is multilayer , and all 6 pins of the switch are used.
Looks as though problem was a low battery that recovered and drooped
between uses, as such a light loading, 22K in line with battery to
transistor etc.
But as far as I can see, after deeper exploration, there are 2 seriesed
switch actions of 2 poled for one simple on/off one pole function.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I cannot find a user manual even referred to on this, or elsewhere
http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elect...fications.aspx
2013 on the pcb overlay, model 2014?
Those "2014" specs refer to this small toggle switch as 15dB boost,
which implies the other position is a normal sort of output.
As far as I can see with this guitar , that switch is amp on in both
positions, properly on one way and full-mute audio quiet-switching in
the other position, whether the 2 pot switches are on or off. Full
on/off of the J202 is via sleeve/ring ground inter-connection of the
guitar lead jack. I'll have to get from the owner what that switch does
or did.
I hope musos find the battery cover clip as impossible as I did.
Insert fingernail under ledge but move in the opposite direction to the
ideogram arrow on the moulding of the plastic.
I wonder how long before problems with the flimsey 1.25mm spacing pickup
lead connectors to the pcb.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Confirmed by the owner. I find it amazing that Gibson do not supply user
manuals with any new guitar. So how is an owner supposed to know that
you have to unplug the guitar lead, to switch off the battery, let alone
anything else?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

Confirmed by the owner. I find it amazing that Gibson do not supply user
manuals with any new guitar. So how is an owner supposed to know that
you have to unplug the guitar lead, to switch off the battery, let alone
anything else?

All active guitars have this function.
Likewise, all battery powered guitar effects pedals also have this function
via the switched input jack socket.

Most owners of such products who don't know about these functions soon find
out when the battery goes dead and they ask their mates why.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 18/03/2016 19:37, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

Confirmed by the owner. I find it amazing that Gibson do not supply user
manuals with any new guitar. So how is an owner supposed to know that
you have to unplug the guitar lead, to switch off the battery, let alone
anything else?

All active guitars have this function.
Likewise, all battery powered guitar effects pedals also have this
function via the switched input jack socket.

Most owners of such products who don't know about these functions soon
find out when the battery goes dead and they ask their mates why.

Gareth.

Are we in the 21 century?
The owner only tended to use one setting of all the 3 switches, just
changing the rotary controls, plus lead connected all the time to the
amp, so internal battery on all the time. Switching the small toggle
switch on and off assuming that turned the internal amp on and off. This
was from new and unless it fell off somewhere it looks as though Gibson
does not even put a little soft cover over the spindle of that switch,
so bare metal, unlike the normal 3 way switch which does have a soft
cover. Avoids static clicks , if nothing else, getting through to the
output.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

[...]

I should imagine that if that switch turned the power on and off, there
would be an almighty BANG which would raise far more eyebrows than a
piffling static click.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"N_Cook"

Confirmed by the owner. I find it amazing that Gibson do not supply user
manuals with any new guitar. So how is an owner supposed to know that
you have to unplug the guitar lead, to switch off the battery, let alone
anything else?

** Err - ever see this?

http://archive.gibson.com/RobotGuita...tar-manual.pdf

All active guitars have this function.

** So what?

There are many who have never seen one before.

Likewise, all battery powered guitar effects pedals also have this function
via the switched input jack socket.

** They all come with manuals.

Most owners of such products who don't know about these functions soon find
out when the battery goes dead and they ask their mates why.

** Then there are the others who blame bad batteries or annoy technicians with nonsense stories about the pedal being faulty.

More than once I have had to ask if the owner left leads plugged in overnight.

I really like the ones who insist their battery operated pedal hums.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

Confirmed by the owner. I find it amazing that Gibson do not supply user
manuals with any new guitar.

** Gibson have always supplied owners manuals:

http://www.manualslib.com/brand/gibson/guitar.html

More than 200 of 'em there.

...... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

[...]

This is very light load of 9V , one FET, and 22K in line with "B+".
With old battery 4V over the circuit and it worked, tried on
DVM-bat_test and 0.02V registered, and about 6V on DVM-V.
I would have thought a SM 10uF cap downstream of that 22K would do the
job of switch-on bang, perhaps switch-off fart would be frowned-on, but
there is already a muting subcircuit there, so perhaps 3PDT switch instead.
Had another go at trying to find a user manual for a classic 2014, specs
yes, but no user manual to explain about that toggle switch, mute/boost
or normal/boost variants
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

This is very light load of 9V , one FET, and 22K in line with "B+".
With old battery 4V over the circuit and it worked, tried on
DVM-bat_test and 0.02V registered, and about 6V on DVM-V.
I would have thought a SM 10uF cap downstream of that 22K would do the
job of switch-on bang, perhaps switch-off fart would be frowned-on, but
there is already a muting subcircuit there, so perhaps 3PDT switch instead.
Had another go at trying to find a user manual for a classic 2014, specs
yes, but no user manual to explain about that toggle switch, mute/boost
or normal/boost variants

Don't they have music stores in your country? They show you how to
operate that type of equipment, over here.

ManCow Outs the Media, admits Real Election Winner is Ron Paul,Massive Criminal Conspiracy Against Ron Paul Massive Fraud by the black BoxCriminals Military Industrial Complex Deprived Ron Paul of Gop Nominee. ALEX JONES Home Repair 0 February 22nd 12 08:28 PM
Gibson Les Paul N_Cook Electronics Repair 8 January 13th 12 08:46 AM
raid on Gibson Guitar basilisk[_2_] Woodworking 47 September 8th 11 03:40 PM
Gibson AC/Heatpump Dan C Home Repair 1 May 26th 05 05:59 PM
Gibson washer won't drain. Tibur Waltson Home Repair 5 March 23rd 04 10:55 PM