DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Testing a Dual Output DC-DC Converter? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/39103-testing-dual-output-dc-dc-converter.html)

Eric J September 30th 03 03:47 PM

Testing a Dual Output DC-DC Converter?

To get a dual output DC-DC converter to start, do both outputs need to
have a load? If it does, both loads would use the common reference
'ground' correct?
I read the repair FAQ on SMPS testing, but didn't notice anything
about dual output converters. I just want to make sure I'm not going
to fry something by testing it wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry G. September 30th 03 04:22 PM

Testing a Dual Output DC-DC Converter?

All your questions depend on the design of the unit. There are converter
units that must have a load, and others that can free run with no danger of
damage, or no shut down at all. Many of these units that are from
particular appliances and devices are designed to work with specific load
factors. There are many reasons why the engineers will choose to do so.

The universal type or general utility devices that are designed to stand
alone, are the ones that can usually be used with no specific load
specification. This would up to the rated maximum allowable load.

You would be best off to enquire to the manufacture for speciation and
application ratings for your device. Or, if you can have a detailed
schematic and have the knowledge base, you can trace out the circuits and
make the determination for yourself.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm

om...

Sam Goldwasser September 30th 03 05:34 PM

(Eric J) writes:

To get a dual output DC-DC converter to start, do both outputs need to
have a load? If it does, both loads would use the common reference
'ground' correct?
I read the repair FAQ on SMPS testing, but didn't notice anything
about dual output converters. I just want to make sure I'm not going
to fry something by testing it wrong.

If you mean a potted brick converter, they usually will run with
no load but to be safe, put 10 percent load on both outputs.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:
http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Sam Goldwasser September 30th 03 05:34 PM

N3KCT October 1st 03 12:54 AM

Testing a Dual Output DC-DC Converter?

At work,we check the potted brick converters at no-load
with low&high extreme input voltages. Then we do a
full load test at extreme input voltages. Then we repeat
the whole thing at -40degC, and again at +85degC.
Usually when they fail, they fail under the hot tests, at full load,
due to output voltage sag.