DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Baby Monitors. Yep. (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/390550-baby-monitors-yep.html)

Klay Anderson February 16th 16 05:03 PM

Baby Monitors. Yep.

I've a client that needs something like an expandable Baby Monitor system. Like one base station and ten "parent units". It appears that they are only made with one base and maximum of 2 parent units I guess with digital encoding on the same frequency? It is for use in care homes during community meetings when a patient cannot come to the meeting. Anyone has ideas on this? Buhler?

Yours truly,
Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.

Tim R[_2_] February 16th 16 06:05 PM

Baby Monitors. Yep.

On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 12:04:00 PM UTC-5, Klay Anderson wrote:
I've a client that needs something like an expandable Baby Monitor system.. Like one base station and ten "parent units". It appears that they are only made with one base and maximum of 2 parent units I guess with digital encoding on the same frequency? It is for use in care homes during community meetings when a patient cannot come to the meeting. Anyone has ideas on this? Buhler?

Yours truly,
Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.

Sounds like an intercom rather than a baby monitor.

Klay Anderson February 16th 16 09:16 PM

Baby Monitors. Yep.

On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 11:05:21 AM UTC-7, Tim R wrote:
On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 12:04:00 PM UTC-5, Klay Anderson wrote:
I've a client that needs something like an expandable Baby Monitor system. Like one base station and ten "parent units". It appears that they are only made with one base and maximum of 2 parent units I guess with digital encoding on the same frequency? It is for use in care homes during community meetings when a patient cannot come to the meeting. Anyone has ideas on this? Buhler?

Yours truly,
Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.

Sounds like an intercom rather than a baby monitor.

Yeabut it needs to be portable.

Jon Elson[_3_] February 16th 16 09:36 PM

Baby Monitors. Yep.

Klay Anderson wrote:

I've a client that needs something like an expandable Baby Monitor system.
Like one base station and ten "parent units". It appears that they are
only made with one base and maximum of 2 parent units I guess with digital
encoding on the same frequency? It is for use in care homes during
community meetings when a patient cannot come to the meeting. Anyone has
ideas on this? Buhler?

They make these FM radio transmitters, that are generally illegal, but
people have them. They broadcast information for homes that are for sale,
and music for christmas displays, and such. They should be able to be tuned
in by any FM radio within a quarter mile or so. This ought to work, and it
only needs ONE unit, at the meeting. Then, everybody uses the radios they
most likely already have.

Jon

Allodoxaphobia[_2_] February 17th 16 12:57 AM

Baby Monitors. Yep.

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:36:27 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
Klay Anderson wrote:

I've a client that needs something like an expandable Baby Monitor system.
Like one base station and ten "parent units". It appears that they are
only made with one base and maximum of 2 parent units I guess with digital
encoding on the same frequency? It is for use in care homes during
community meetings when a patient cannot come to the meeting. Anyone has
ideas on this? Buhler?

They make these FM radio transmitters, that are generally illegal, but
people have them. They broadcast information for homes that are for sale,
and music for christmas displays, and such. They should be able to be tuned
in by any FM radio within a quarter mile or so. This ought to work, and it
only needs ONE unit, at the meeting. Then, everybody uses the radios they
most likely already have.

With the added benefit that there'll be no interruptions from the pesky
patients. :-)

ssinzig February 17th 16 11:44 PM

Baby Monitors. Yep.

Klay Anderson wrote:
I've a client that needs something like an expandable Baby Monitor
system. Like one base station and ten "parent units". It appears
that they are only made with one base and maximum of 2 parent units I
guess with digital encoding on the same frequency? It is for use in
care homes during community meetings when a patient cannot come to
the meeting. Anyone has ideas on this? Buhler?

Yours truly, Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.

FRS/GMRS radios all on the same channel?

https://www.cobra.com/products/walki...two-way-radios

Simple COTS and relatively inexpensive too.

S.

Klay Anderson February 18th 16 04:57 PM

Baby Monitors. Yep.

With the added benefit that there'll be no interruptions from the pesky
patients. :-)

Right. They want one talk many listen. I'll investigate the FM idea.

Ron D. February 21st 16 07:54 AM

Baby Monitors. Yep.

this really doesn;t seem like a baby monitor type of thing.

can you do it with a bunch of laptops and WIFI? Set the parental one to multicast using VLC (linux and Windows for sure) and the other laptops can receive the broadcast.

If you want, you could use an ATSC modulator (read expensive) and feed it to the TV's that already be in each room.

In terms of "talking back", I have no idea.

Or, find what kind of software those adult webcams use. It can essentially be two-way) with camera and possibly audio. Definitely typing works.