Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Project 165

Hi,

a few weeks ago, the issue of output valve matching was raised by NG regular Trevor Wilson in a post relating to the Peavey Classic 60.

In a subsequent post he mentioned the AVO VCM163 - the last and possibly best valve tester made by that famous brand.

Intrigued by the unique method employed by the AVO, I experimented with various circuit lash ups on my bench and after a few stages of evolution and using a couple of bright ideas of my own wound up with a very handy output valve tester capable of doing bias matching and far, far more.

My prototype tester is now pictured & fully described on the ESP web site by my good mate Rod Elliot as "Project 165".

http://sound.westhost.com/project165.htm

My example was built using a small plastic box and other bits lying around the workshop and employs externally a standard 240:240 isolation transformer, a Variac, a couple of DC bench supplies for heaters and negative grid bias plus dual trace scope and DMM. It performs equally well using a DSO like the Rigol or a regular analogue job like my ancient BWD821 for waveform monitoring.

Please take note of the SAFETY WARNINGS - this is NOT a project for beginners or clever folk who like to take short cuts.

Questions and comments welcome ....

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 03:52:40 -0800 (PST) Phil Allison
wrote in Message id:
:

[...]

A digital scope!!!??? Phil, I'm SHOCKED!

Nice work, though.

Son's BBQ Pit Project Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 6 December 6th 10 09:49 PM
Son's BBQ Pit Project Gunner Asch[_6_] Metalworking 3 December 6th 10 01:27 PM
my first pen project tom koehler Woodturning 3 June 28th 10 03:27 AM
some project Dave Hinz Woodworking 7 January 28th 05 02:58 AM
project car Erik Litchy Metalworking 0 December 17th 04 03:31 PM