DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dumont 1062 scope (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/388879-re-dumont-1062-scope.html)

[email protected] January 6th 16 04:29 AM

Dumont 1062 scope

I recently picked up a Dumont scope type 2559a serial # 1252
Looks really cool and the thing weighs like 100 lbs.
Anyway I was playing with it over the holidays and it seems to be reading vertically on the screen instead of horizontally like a normal scope. Anyone ever heard of or seen that before? Any ideas?

Kaz Kylheku January 6th 16 04:49 AM

Dumont 1062 scope

On 2016-01-06, wrote:
I recently picked up a Dumont scope type 2559a serial # 1252
Looks really cool and the thing weighs like 100 lbs.

That's good; so if you strap your ankle to it with a flexible linkage,
you get protection in those situations where an electric arc would
otherwise throw you across the room.

Tom Miller January 6th 16 05:33 AM

Dumont 1062 scope

wrote in message
I recently picked up a Dumont scope type 2559a serial # 1252
Looks really cool and the thing weighs like 100 lbs.
Anyway I was playing with it over the holidays and it seems to be reading
vertically on the screen instead of horizontally like a normal scope.
Anyone ever heard of or seen that before? Any ideas?

There's a manual on ebay for pretty cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cathode-Ray-...AOSwBLlVJzT d

This is a late 1950's scope so most that ever used one have forgotten about
them.

Jon Elson January 6th 16 05:39 AM

Dumont 1062 scope

wrote:

I recently picked up a Dumont scope type 2559a serial # 1252
Looks really cool and the thing weighs like 100 lbs.
Anyway I was playing with it over the holidays and it seems to be reading
vertically on the screen instead of horizontally like a normal scope.
Anyone ever heard of or seen that before? Any ideas?

Possibly somebody swapped the wires on the deflection plates. Usually there
are 4 wires poking out through holes in the CRT magnetic shield, with wires
to the deflection amps. You could try swapping the pairs of wires.

Jon

Michael Black[_2_] January 6th 16 08:31 AM

Dumont 1062 scope

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016, wrote:

I recently picked up a Dumont scope type 2559a serial # 1252
Looks really cool and the thing weighs like 100 lbs.
Anyway I was playing with it over the holidays and it seems to be reading vertically on the screen instead of horizontally like a normal scope. Anyone ever heard of or seen that before? Any ideas?

Just because you have something to say doesn't mean you should reply to a
17 year old thread, even if it was resurrected last year.

If you have something to say, say it, don't reply to a really old post.

This was isn't even the same model as someone was asking about before.

Take it out of the case, it will likely be a lot lighter (though more
dangerous), that was the case with my first scope I got in 1972 at a ham
club auction for five dollars, barely able to cover audio frequencies and
no triggered sweep, it was a cheap way to play with an oscilliscope.

When I got something better, a friend took it, getting it home on the bus.
I can't believe it.

Michael

legg January 7th 16 06:35 PM

Dumont 1062 scope

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 02:31:37 -0500, Michael Black wrote:

On Tue, 5 Jan 2016, wrote:

I recently picked up a Dumont scope type 2559a serial # 1252
Looks really cool and the thing weighs like 100 lbs.
Anyway I was playing with it over the holidays and it seems to be reading vertically on the screen instead of horizontally like a normal scope. Anyone ever heard of or seen that before? Any ideas?

Just because you have something to say doesn't mean you should reply to a
17 year old thread, even if it was resurrected last year.

With usenet being what it is, there are posts being recycled with new
dates as people shift servers.........perhaps they think they're doing
you a favor.

Unless you read the headers, it's not always obvious.

I'm seeing my old posts showing up from as far back as Y2K, with new
poster names and date.

RL

Kaz Kylheku January 7th 16 08:20 PM

Dumont 1062 scope

On 2016-01-06, Michael Black wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jan 2016, wrote:

I recently picked up a Dumont scope type 2559a serial # 1252
Looks really cool and the thing weighs like 100 lbs.

Just because you have something to say doesn't mean you should reply to a
17 year old thread, even if it was resurrected last year.

That doesn't matter at all because the posting doesn't quote any of that
article. The only clue that it's a followup is the References: header
and the " " prefix in the subject line.

Take away those, and you would have no clue it's a follow-up to
anything old.

[email protected] January 8th 16 06:52 AM

Dumont 1062 scope

"Just because you have something to say doesn't mean you should reply to a
17 year old thread, even if it was resurrected last year.

If you have something to say, say it, don't reply to a really old post.

This was isn't even the same model as someone was asking about before. "

I totally agree. Google should show this tip when people get on it to access Usenet. Reason ? Others might have to wade through hundreds of posts to get to the meat of things. And as you said, the thread title does not even mention the necromancer's model number. How is anyone else going to find it ?

I hope all the Googlesters read this and get with it but they won't. Even if they do, more will come.

Actually I was here for the OP, but under a different domain and did not comment. Actually some old scopes did have a switch to interpolate X with Y. Rare, but I saw them. You could also do that with a bunch of Teks that used plugins, I have done it on the 7000 series just for fun.

Anyway, in this case I think there is no horizontal sweep and seeing the vertical witho9ut that gives the impression it is turned. Really, how the hell would that happen ?

The way to tell is with the position controls. What happens when you turn those ?

Kaz Kylheku January 8th 16 03:53 PM

Dumont 1062 scope

On 2016-01-08, wrote:
"Just because you have something to say doesn't mean you should reply to a
17 year old thread, even if it was resurrected last year.

If you have something to say, say it, don't reply to a really old post.

This was isn't even the same model as someone was asking about before. "

I totally agree. Google should show ...

.... a big disclaimer saying "... please, please, make every possible
effort to use a real newsreader connected to an NNTP server and
use this garbage service only in some sort of emergency."