Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Annoying TV disturbance

I have recently become aware (bothered by) what appears to be
a line moving up across the TV screen. The TV is a Samsung
4K with HDMI input, and the line that moves up the screen
appears to be a missing scan line.

The TV derives its input from a linux computer running
mplayer, and the video card is an NVidia 610. The
HDMI output goes to the TV and the vga output goes to
a monitor which I can see while the TV is playing.

The discontinuity on the TV screen is not replicated
on the monitor screen.

The moving line appears every few minutes.

I was not conscious of the problem prior to a shutdown
of the video server to increase the storage capacity.

Any suggestion of what might cause the effect, or questions
that may further clarify the phenomenon would be appreciated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sounds like a ground loop hum bar, look he
http://www.cinemasource.com/articles/gnd_loop.pdf
Move cables away from each other and don't use cheap co-ax, HDMI etc.
cables.

Kenny

"root" wrote in message ...

I have recently become aware (bothered by) what appears to be
a line moving up across the TV screen. The TV is a Samsung
4K with HDMI input, and the line that moves up the screen
appears to be a missing scan line.

The TV derives its input from a linux computer running
mplayer, and the video card is an NVidia 610. The
HDMI output goes to the TV and the vga output goes to
a monitor which I can see while the TV is playing.

The discontinuity on the TV screen is not replicated
on the monitor screen.

The moving line appears every few minutes.

I was not conscious of the problem prior to a shutdown
of the video server to increase the storage capacity.

Any suggestion of what might cause the effect, or questions
that may further clarify the phenomenon would be appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 4:56:39 PM UTC-8, Kenny Cargill wrote:
Sounds like a ground loop hum bar, look he
http://www.cinemasource.com/articles/gnd_loop.pdf
Move cables away from each other and don't use cheap co-ax, HDMI etc.
cables.

Kenny

Cinemasource has an RF isolator for which they want $50.
I bought 3 for $25 from these guys.

http://www.rmscommunications.net/pdf/MI2120VPG69&70.pdf

My hum was in the audio from the RF feed. The isolator
cleaned it all up.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 03/01/16 23:59, root wrote:
I have recently become aware (bothered by) what appears to be
a line moving up across the TV screen. The TV is a Samsung
4K with HDMI input, and the line that moves up the screen
appears to be a missing scan line.

The TV derives its input from a linux computer running
mplayer, and the video card is an NVidia 610. The
HDMI output goes to the TV and the vga output goes to
a monitor which I can see while the TV is playing.

The discontinuity on the TV screen is not replicated
on the monitor screen.

The moving line appears every few minutes.

I was not conscious of the problem prior to a shutdown
of the video server to increase the storage capacity.

Any suggestion of what might cause the effect, or questions
that may further clarify the phenomenon would be appreciated.

Two tests.

Try HDMI from another source. If same fault here, blame Samsung and call
their support. Or maybe cabling interference issues.

Or temporarily try another OS on your hardware. A linux live CD would do.

If it doesn't occur on the other OS, then grab the video timing info
from that, and compare with your current OS.

xvidtune -show

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 7:00:01 PM UTC-5, root wrote:
I have recently become aware (bothered by) what appears to be
a line moving up across the TV screen. The TV is a Samsung
4K with HDMI input, and the line that moves up the screen
appears to be a missing scan line.

The TV derives its input from a linux computer running
mplayer, and the video card is an NVidia 610. The
HDMI output goes to the TV and the vga output goes to
a monitor which I can see while the TV is playing.

The discontinuity on the TV screen is not replicated
on the monitor screen.

The moving line appears every few minutes.

I was not conscious of the problem prior to a shutdown
of the video server to increase the storage capacity.

Any suggestion of what might cause the effect, or questions
that may further clarify the phenomenon would be appreciated.

The fact that the line moves in that manner pretty much eliminates the display as a possibility, but it could still be a main board issue.

When the line appears, put up the TVs own menu. If the line disturbs the menu, it's a TV issue.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Kenny Cargill wrote:
Sounds like a ground loop hum bar, look he
http://www.cinemasource.com/articles/gnd_loop.pdf
Move cables away from each other and don't use cheap co-ax, HDMI etc.
cables.

Kenny

Your analysis is correct. I re-routed the hdmi cable and the problem
is gone. Thanks to all who responded.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 4:56:39 PM UTC-8, Kenny Cargill wrote:
Sounds like a ground loop hum bar, look he
http://www.cinemasource.com/articles/gnd_loop.pdf
Move cables away from each other and don't use cheap co-ax, HDMI etc.
cables.

Kenny

Cinemasource has an RF isolator for which they want $50.
I bought 3 for $25 from these guys.

http://www.rmscommunications.net/pdf/MI2120VPG69&70.pdf

My hum was in the audio from the RF feed. The isolator
cleaned it all up.

Fortunately for me re-routing was sufficient.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Two tests.

Try HDMI from another source. If same fault here, blame Samsung and call
their support. Or maybe cabling interference issues.

Or temporarily try another OS on your hardware. A linux live CD would do.

If it doesn't occur on the other OS, then grab the video timing info
from that, and compare with your current OS.

xvidtune -show

Thanks for responding. Hum seems to have been the problem since
re-routing the hdmi cable fixed it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John-Del wrote:

The fact that the line moves in that manner pretty much eliminates the display as a possibility, but it could still be a main board issue.

When the line appears, put up the TVs own menu. If the line disturbs the menu, it's a TV issue.

Hum seems to have been the problem. Now that you mention it,
there never has been a problem in the menu displays. I should
have thought of that.

An Annoying Infestation Ron Home Repair 5 August 25th 07 03:52 AM
how annoying.. [IBM thinkpad] carl0s Electronics Repair 8 February 28th 06 03:11 PM
Very annoying! Steve Metalworking 0 December 26th 05 08:40 PM
Isn't it annoying....... john UK diy 7 December 19th 05 11:52 PM
These annoying recipes raden UK diy 13 December 29th 04 02:56 AM