Michael Caplan

Default RV power converter Todd PC40 -- insulator problem

Does anyone have information on or experience with the PC40, 40 amp
converter made by Todd Engineering Sales of Tucson (now out of business)?
I'd sure like to get hold of a schematic, but my main interest right now is
in identifying the special insulator used under the mosfets.

The power supply is used to provide the 12 DC used in recreational travel
trailers.

It's basically three paralleled SMPS's mounted inside a large aluminum heat
sink (which is also the case), one of which, as far as I can tell, is the
master.

The unit came into my shop with no output. After getting the case opened
(it's all pop-riveted) and pulling out the master board, I found the IRF740
mosfet on this board shorted and the resistor next to it open (looks like
0.24 Ohms, 2 Watt -- red, yellow, silver, then gold on a gray body). I
also found signs of arcing from the mosfet to the heat sink. The arcing
appears to have been through the mosfet's insulator, and that is where I am
puzzled.

The mosfet, an IRF740 in a TO-220 type case, is insulated from the heat sink
by a piece of what at first looks like a standard silicon rubber heat
conductive insulator. However, I was attracted to the fact that there is a
grounding wire soldered to the insulator. On much closer examination I
confirmed that the insulator has a metallic core ("middle of the sandwich").
The point where the heat sink was marked by the arcing corresponds to the
narrow edge of the insulator where the metallic core is now exposed.

I suspect that the insulator is compromised and should not be reused. But I
haven't seen this type of insulation material before and was wondering if
anyone has come across it. Is there a description and trade name for it?
What about sources?

Michael Caplan CET

Tony Marsillo

Mike,
I am working on the same unit. I am trying to find out the part number of U2
on the main PCB. It is a 3 terminal TO-92 plastic device, it burned up and I
can not read the markings.. My unit has a standard insulator, no wire
soldered to it. The main board near the large chassis terminal has a spade
terminal soldered to the PCB and held in contact with the heatsink with a
clip. Also do you know if the telephone type connector is required to turn
the unit on.

Thanks

--
Tony Marsillo
Nutmeg Repair

Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 02:56 PM
Motor Phases SRF Metalworking 20 October 23rd 03 10:32 AM
power flushing Andy Hall UK diy 4 September 10th 03 12:59 AM
Phase converter balancing Karl Townsend Metalworking 7 July 13th 03 01:48 AM