Old December 19th 15, 09:55 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Golden Rules of Troubleshooting

MAKE NO PROMISES.

Ever.

Old December 19th 15, 04:15 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 01:55:44 -0800, jurb6006 wrote:

MAKE NO PROMISES.

Ever.

Reminds me of that fellow, Ainit da Troot
Old December 19th 15, 10:53 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 11:18:03 AM UTC-5, Wond wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 01:55:44 -0800, jurb6006 wrote:

MAKE NO PROMISES.

Ever.

Reminds me of that fellow, Ainit da Troot

Yup, those words to not emit from my mouth or keyboard.

I have learned how to manage this planet. I also do not get ****ed off unless it is really severe provocation. Aggravation is not a choice but anger is. If I kick you in the balls, whether you get ****ed off or not you want to kick my ass. If you are not ****ed off you want to do it to make the world a better place, which is the same reason I will shoot to kill if someone tries to rob me. But if a baby steps on your balls with those ****ing cement baby shoes (no wonder they can't walk) you are not angry. If you can avoid anger in physical pain like that you got no excuse any other time. (I should probably teach an anger management class huh)

I try to do what I say I am gong to do, but II always allow for Murphy's Law. If I say I'll be there at noon I will plan to be there by eleven. Actually I say "I'll be there BY...", not "at".

When you learn electronics, especially service, you pick up a frew things.

My last good job, I go to boss and say I know what is wrong and we got the part. That is all I said, but that stupid **** would schedule delivery for later that day. Sometimes I felt like cutting his goddam fingers off so he couldn't dial the phone. But see, if something went wrong he was the one to explain it to the customer. Fine with me.

And if they ****ed me off I could look at the clock for a couple of minutes and see one more dollar in my pocket. Wanna say something about it I could go to the bathroom.

Got them by the balls, and after a little while they know it. In a way I was the boss. Order some of these, and we need this and that, and get this **** the **** out of my way before I shoot it or take an axe to it. Some places, they asked ME what I wanted for lunch and they would go get it.

Well I gotta admit there is a reason for that lol.

Rich, a coworker, became a friend. I lived 25 miles from the shop and he lived twice as far. I rode with him to and from work for quite a while. then we sat at my house for a bit and got smoked a bit. We almost died together.

He had this Ford Escort and we were on I-90 in the fast lane, which is the correct lane because the exit to my house was on the left. A semi changed lanes and we were underneath it right along the dividing wall. An extremely stressful situation. He drove expertly and matched speed and piloted the thing perfectly, with the horn blaring all the time. Eventually the semi got out of the fast lane and I said "Get us to the nearest bar". He agreed.

Anyway, we got tight and one day we decided, since we were both "Electrasound graduates" where you DID go out for lunch, that we were going to the Ground Round for lunch.

The boss said "Don't go, you guys won't come back". We went, had surf n turf and a few beers and Rich says "I don't like how he was saying we won't come back". I said "Yeah". And then that lightbulb (a dim one) lit up and one of us said "Know what we should do ?". you know what happened then.

So we sat there for about an hour drinking and then decided to call the shop. Told the boss we need money because we cannot pay the tab ! That was a lie but **** it. Told him we need someone to bring down about $50. The boss said "I can't leave, I am the only one here".

I have had some really bad times in life, and I have had some really good times in life. In some jobs, the employee is really the boss.

Like construction. Brick layers smoke pot and therefore cannot pass a drug test. Know what the union does here ? They hire one guy who does not smoke it and whether or not he can lay brick, he takes all the drug tests for everybody.

These brickies make around $30 an hour plus super benefits, and that is because they do something that not all that many people can do, at least at their level of performance. They are the boss. As a matter of fact, you offer most of them the foreman position they will refuse. My Father was a pretty damn good job shop machinist (worked with the engineers on the prototype for the first floppy disk making machine) and was offered management positions more than once. He said no, in fact he said **** no. the reason ? Everyone bitches at you. you got the suits wanting **** that can't be done and employees you have a hard time getting to do what can be done. Middle management is not a good place all the time. And back then the labor market was such that you could not get 100 people to suck donkey dick for two bucks an hour. We had real industry and skilled people were important to the economy.

Things were different then. Now, money is made on paper. They even have paper gold. The world is junk.

One more good reason and I am ready to leave it. Honest Men with real skills have no place in this country anymore.
Old December 19th 15, 11:49 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/19/2015 2:53 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 11:18:03 AM UTC-5, Wond wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 01:55:44 -0800, jurb6006 wrote:

MAKE NO PROMISES.

Ever.

Reminds me of that fellow, Ainit da Troot

Yup, those words to not emit from my mouth or keyboard.

I have learned how to manage (on) this planet. I also do not get ****ed off unless it is really severe provocation. Aggravation is not a choice but anger is. If I kick you in the balls, whether you get ****ed off or not you want to kick my ass. If you are not ****ed off you want to do it to make the world a better place, which is the same reason I will shoot to kill if someone tries to rob me. But if a baby steps on your balls with those ****ing cement baby shoes (no wonder they can't walk) you are not angry. If you can avoid anger in physical pain like that you got no excuse any other time. (I should probably teach an anger management class huh)

I like your analogy - if your baby/child kicks you and you do not
respond with rage, then why when an adult does? Sounds like a good trick
for anger management.

Perhaps some world leaders (or would be leaders) need to think about that!

Thanks!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old December 21st 15, 05:23 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 01:55:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[stuff cut]

- Most embarrassing moment: When the Chinese clone works better
than the original.

Anybody have good stories of this?
Old December 21st 15, 07:36 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 17:23:02 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 01:55:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[stuff cut]

- Most embarrassing moment: When the Chinese clone works better
than the original.

Anybody have good stories of this?

No. I'm taking the 5th ammendment.
What you don't know, won't hurt me.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Old December 21st 15, 09:02 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 01:55:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[stuff cut]

- Most embarrassing moment: When the Chinese clone works better
than the original.

Anybody have good stories of this?

No. I'm taking the 5th ammendment.
What you don't know, won't hurt me.

Ha.

Did the unnamed parties steal back some of the enhancements?
Old December 22nd 15, 02:29 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 01:55:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[stuff cut]

- Most embarrassing moment: When the Chinese clone works better
than the original.

Anybody have good stories of this?

No. I'm taking the 5th ammendment.
What you don't know, won't hurt me.

Ha.
Did the unnamed parties steal back some of the enhancements?

Of course, with my help. But when they wanted some of the money they
paid me back, I diplomatically declined. Business ethics in many
parts of the planet are very different from the US.
[Q] What's the difference between a bribe and a commission?
[A] A bribe is paid in advance. A commission after. Otherwise,
they're the same.

I know of several other cloned products were are better than the
original, but I'm not talking and not worried. A fair chunk of my
income comes from what I euphemistically call "design reviews"[1].

There are also companies that can't even copy a product and get it
right. One favorite is a company that fired its outsourced designers,
only to find that the documentation they had supplied with the product
was fatally inaccurate. The company then had to reverse engineer their
own product. The resulting clone was dead on arrival. I was hired to
fix the problem without changing anything. Right. I traced the
problem to whomever measured the parts misreading the range setting on
the LRC meter. All the values were off by a factor of 10 because
someone had removed the range knob, and replaced it rotated by one
detent. It was obviously not an accident. After that was fixed, I
had to deal with an "improved" PCB that closely matched the schematic,
but not quite. The highlight of the project was when one employee,
with a very guilty conscience, offered me a bribe to not blame him for
any of the problems. I didn't take the money because I thought it
might be a trap. It wasn't.

[1] The difficult part is keeping a straight face. I once worked on
a BlueGoof wireless speaker system, where the designers had placed the
BT chip dead center in the middle of the PCB, located the chip antenna
nearby, and put a shield over both. Range was suppose to be about 30
meters minimum, but was only about 0.5 meters. I couldn't believe it,
but there it was. It was amazingly difficult for me to NOT burst out
laughing during my initial fee negotiations and artificially
protracted circuit analysis. I found plenty of other problems and
mistakes, so they got their money's worth.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Golden rules of DIY and property design: Help needed tudordavies UK diy 18 April 18th 14 02:56 PM
Golden rule Jack Handey Metalworking 0 July 26th 08 03:39 PM
Golden Calf Mkop Metalworking 3 January 21st 08 02:27 AM
golden care [email protected] UK diy 0 November 9th 07 12:29 AM
Shades of Golden Oak Tom in PA Woodworking 9 August 29th 05 09:13 PM